Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Difference between Black Trenchcoat and Mirrored Shades
Elfenlied
post Aug 26 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,018

What the title says. What is the difference between those two? How are they defined?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Aug 26 2014, 10:02 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

As I understand it, most people use it as an 'and', not an 'or'.
Meaning: "Black Trenchcoat and Mirrorshades" (as in Matrix, think Neo for the imagery) standing for professional operators, planning in a very detailed way and covering all bases, VS "Pink Mohawk" for weird, funny, punk playstyle with little to no regard to cause and effect, or consequences.

Suffice it to say, most playing styles fall somewhere in between.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Aug 26 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

Some excellent movie examples of the Mirrorshades (even though actual covert operators by and large wouldn't be caught dead in actual mirrorshades) style of game are John Frankenheimer's film "Ronin" (1998) and Michael Mann's films Heat (1995), Collateral (2004), and Miami Vice (2006). I especially like using Heat as an example because it shows very well how much carnage can be done by trained people with nothing heavier than an assault rifle towards the end of the movie.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Aug 27 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

The Matrix, while being full of people wearing both Black Trenchcoats and Mirrorshades, is very much Pink Mohawk.
Which is a good thing. If you're black trechcoat, and you're sword fighting on top of a truck while involved in 50 cars being wrecked on the freeway in the middle of the day on a tuesday with 500 people watching, you failed. If you're pink mohawk, that is exactly how you describe a victory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 14 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

Michael Westen and friends are Black Trenchcoat; The Sons of Anarchy are Pink Mohawks.

+Quote Post
rythymhack
post Sep 15 2014, 01:09 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 13,597

Michael Westin yes. Fiona, not so much =)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 15 2014, 01:27 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 14 2014, 05:05 PM) *
Michael Westen and friends are Black Trenchcoat; The Sons of Anarchy are Pink Mohawks.

SoA is the diet cola of Pink Mohawk. Only one calorie, but not quite Pink Mohawk enough! Sam Cro sweats the cops waaay too much for it to be a true blue Pink Mohawk setting.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 15 2014, 01:57 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (rythymhack @ Sep 14 2014, 05:09 PM) *
Michael Westin yes. Fiona, not so much =)

I was tempted to say that Fiona was "Pink Mohawk", but she's a little too professional, and towards the later seasons the writers decided that she suddenly wanted to settle down and raise kids instead of blowing stuff up.

Re: SOA...their cop concerns are well-founded, and the fact that they busted into a crowded church with AK-47s and were a) able to easily make bail and b) only did like two years seems to suggest we're in a pretty Pink Mohawk setting to me.

Then again, I think the show has been going downhill since Season 3.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 15 2014, 02:23 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Aug 27 2014, 04:53 PM) *
If you're pink mohawk, that is exactly how you describe breakfast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Fixed that for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 15 2014, 02:56 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 14 2014, 08:57 PM) *
Then again, I think the show has been going downhill since Season 3.

Precisely when I stopped watching it.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 15 2014, 02:55 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Sep 14 2014, 07:56 PM) *
Precisely when I stopped watching it.

Naaaa... It is still a pretty awesome show. It has a few ups and downs, of course, but it is pretty good nonetheless.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 16 2014, 01:48 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

The way I understand it, Black Trenchcoat is more along the lines of the professionals and serious tone, whereas Mirrored Shades is much the same but with an emphasis on planning and contingencies - the shades hide your eyes so your enemy doesn't know what you're focusing on kind of thing going on.

Think of it as a triangle, with the three points being Black Trenchcoat, Cloak and Dagger, and Pink Mohawk, with Mirrored Shades being somewhere between Cloak and Dagger and Black Trenchcoat.

EDIT: Black Trenchcoat is House Stark, Mirror Shades is House Baratheon, Cloak and Dagger is House Lannister, and Pink Mohawk is the Vale.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.