Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR Fansites
Tai-Pan
post Aug 27 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 823

While I realize the glory days of dumpshock being a central host for quality Shadowrun websites this still seems a decent places to ask. Where have all the websites gone? While not all of them were good or useful scrounging around for a run idea or a NPC or even a PC build was handy way back when. Now I find two podcasts, both of which are fine, but I can skip around and read what I need/want rather than listen to folks drone on for an hour at a time for the 5 min of info I wanted, (Don't get me started on actual play recordings) a couple reviews of the core book on a random blog here and there but nothing for anything resembling runs or even an NPC.

Tai-Pan

edit, haven't posted in ages quite amused I've been a member of these boards for 12 years, Pretty sure I was a member of the old board system before that... I feel old.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Aug 27 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

There are a few around still... just requires some lengthy searching engine trolling to find.

One of my in-game characters long term friends was call Tai-Pan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Started playing that character more than 12 years go though (near 16 years now)... I don't feel old though... just fatter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Aug 27 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Don't see sites like you used too back in the golden days. Though lots of old ones still hidden out there. Just as many lost in the shadows though.
Critical Glitch one of best SR podcasts with current and regular casts.
Toyed with the idea of doing a Sprawl Sites style of site for years now even started it once. Time is the enemy of old gamers though.

+Quote Post
Tai-Pan
post Aug 27 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #4

Target

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Aug 27 2014, 07:01 AM) *
Critical Glitch one of best SR podcasts with current and regular casts.

Yep one of the couple I referred to The Arcology Podcast being the other.

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Aug 27 2014, 07:01 AM) *
Toyed with the idea of doing a Sprawl Sites style of site for years now even started it once. Time is the enemy of old gamers though.

If not for the attempt at getting a game store going I'd probably be trying something along these lines.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Aug 28 2014, 06:03 AM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

Well, I host an archive (as seen in my signature) to keep the content from the sites going under from disappearing along with them.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Aug 28 2014, 07:36 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

My impression is people at large devote less and less time to the hobby, so there are fewer people who have the time to publish on a fansite. Obviously, if you think about the old fansites (and fanzines before them) a decade ago, most a lot of people involved where students at the time and a number of them now have a job and a family. But the old crowd also stopped maintaining their website, while the new crowd never started, because Internet has invented many new ways to eat on everyone's free-time: online gaming (there used to be a time where a great game would steal 100 hours of your life, not 1,000), downloading and watching multiple TV series and movies, maintaining social relationships with ordinary/non-player people...

At least, most of these apply to my case (the birth of my daughter last year having been the final nail in the coffin).

It should also not completely be overlooked that the spread of PHPBB forums and the like may have led a some people to publish contents a lot more informally than they may have in they days of USENET. I think there's a lot of people who never had a website on their own, but instead regularly posted sometimes elaborated articles on the forums.

+Quote Post
Tai-Pan
post Sep 3 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Target

brief nostalgia pang while digging... the OLD SR webring is still semi-functional. had some fun with the random button... Shocked how many sites from ~97-02 are still out there... useless but out there....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.