IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hack on the fly, Marks and You, Is it really that easy to spot a mark?
Miri
post Oct 4 2014, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,769

Looking over the matrix rules there are three ways to apply a mark, get invite, Brute Force and Hack on the Fly. If you are using Hack on the Fly you make an opposed test and if you are successful you can apply 1 or more Marks on the target. From reading the Matrix Perception action it seems like anything that is doing a Matrix Perception action (program your commlink/cyberdeck to run it on continuous action with a dice pool of DevRatingx2?) and getting 2 hits will let you know that you are marked (one to know that there is something out there and the second to actually get the mark count).

Is it really that easy for a host or icon with an active spider or Patrol IC to determine that his system has some unauthorized marks on it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 4 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Miri @ Oct 4 2014, 02:05 AM) *
Looking over the matrix rules there are three ways to apply a mark, get invite, Brute Force and Hack on the Fly. If you are using Hack on the Fly you make an opposed test and if you are successful you can apply 1 or more Marks on the target. From reading the Matrix Perception action it seems like anything that is doing a Matrix Perception action (program your commlink/cyberdeck to run it on continuous action with a dice pool of DevRatingx2?) and getting 2 hits will let you know that you are marked (one to know that there is something out there and the second to actually get the mark count).

Is it really that easy for a host or icon with an active spider or Patrol IC to determine that his system has some unauthorized marks on it?

Yes, it is that easy.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 4 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Even the best security is not omnipresent, though. They might not be checking that particular icon until you have finished your hacking, which seems to usually happen in a comparatively narrow time frame.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Oct 5 2014, 02:47 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,213

QUOTE (Miri @ Oct 4 2014, 04:05 AM) *

Nope. It's that easy to know you have marks, but not if they are unauthorized. The rules are a bit unclear on legal vs illegal marks, but it seems like you can't tell with a simple matrix perception test. Now if it's your personal cyberdeck, and it's mark count jumps for no reason, you can get suspicious... but a host system's active marks will likely fluctuate a lot. Remember that any time a system reboots or is turned off, the marks it's user has placed vanish, so legitimate mark counts will change all the time on large systems.

+Quote Post
raben-aas
post Oct 14 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,285

To be even more specific: There is no such thing as an "unauthorized" mark, as the mark IS the authorization!

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Oct 14 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Raben-AAS -- I know what you mean by that sentence, but given that hackers can mark things that don't want to be marked, that statement is an awful lot like holding up a gun and saying "I don't need a badge, THIS is my badge."

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Oct 14 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Skillwire Savant

Member No.: 88,139

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Oct 14 2014, 09:39 AM) *
That statement is an awful lot like holding up a gun and saying "I don't need a badge, THIS is my badge."

I see it more like: "Of course I'm authorized to be in here, the sign on the door says Authorized Personnel Only and I'm in here, aren't I?"

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Oct 15 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

Well thats where the balance between the two factors comes in. If the Host or Device is expecting Marks then it may not be concerned, if it isn't (IE Cyberdeck, single user server) then it might be. Also Marks are distinctive to the Persona that places them, which means a more suspicious system may notice that a Mark doesn't tally with the list of "anticipated Marks".

So a publically accessible Host won't look twice at a random Mark. A closed but massively accessed Host again is unlikely to take note of a Mark unless it's paranoid enough to check a database of regular or anticipated Marks. The smaller the user base the more it's likely to attract attention. On a closed and limited access host it'll either flag an unexpected Mark or run it against a database.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.