Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Shadow Brony?
Sendaz
post Oct 22 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

More art for Run Faster on the CGL Tumbler and figured better say it before Stahlseele does (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Koekepan
post Oct 22 2014, 11:22 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,483

I'd hire the one on the left to round up the herd on the ranges.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Oct 23 2014, 06:00 AM
Post #3

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I thought Shadowrun centaurs had horse heads, human torsos/arms, and horse below the waist?

Has that been changed, is this a centaur with some major bodymods, or an orc with some major bodymods?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Oct 23 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #4

Runner

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 23 2014, 01:00 AM) *
I thought Shadowrun centaurs had horse heads, human torsos/arms, and horse below the waist?

Has that been changed, is this a centaur with some major bodymods, or an orc with some major bodymods?

This is now a bit of a debate as the projected cover for Run Faster is shown here also with what looks like a metahuman headed-centaur.

Is this just art or the new design for centaurs? Until the book comes out, we can not be sure.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Oct 23 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 22 2014, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Oct 22 2014, 11:53 PM) *
Is this just art or the new design for centaurs? Until the book comes out, we can not be sure.

They were (mostly) human-headed in 4E, so it's not exactly new.

QUOTE (Running Wild, p. 118)
A centaur is an equine-like species. Its lower torso resembles that a horse, with four legs ending in hooves. Its upper torso, where the head and neck would be on a horse, resembles a primate with long arms ending in three digits and an opposable thumb. The centaur’s head is vaguely equine, with an extended cranium and long neck. A centaur stands an average of 275 centimeters at the shoulder and weighs around 450 kilograms. Color patterns are similar to horses, ranging from black to white, cream, and brown with various mottled patterns.

QUOTE (Runners Companion, p. 63)
A centaur is a mammal of the equine family, and one of the few that breaks the usual rule on number of limbs. Its lower body resembles that of a horse, with four legs ending in a four-toed foot (three of the toes are vestigial, only present in the leg, while the fourth toe forms a hoof like a modern horse), while its upper body—where the head and neck would be on a horse—resembles that of a primate, with long arms ending in three digits and an opposable thumb, and a vaguely equine head with an extended cranium perched on an long neck. They typically stand 2.5–3 meters tall at the shoulder and mass 300–600 kilograms

So they have human heads and faces, but with somewhat elongated features. The art cited here could maybe use a bit more emphasis on the elongation, but I wouldn't sweat it given the nature of variation of distinguishing traits between individuals.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Oct 23 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Runner

But pg 82 of the Runner's Companion and pg 42 in Running Wild has images of the Centaur with a distinctly equine head and this is probably what many folk saw as being the standard in 4E so you can understand their confusion at the change.
Edit:
So the art team and description guys had a bit of a break in communication back then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I agree the description could match closer the new art with just a bit of tweaking in the drawing.

Hmmmm... Pony Poseur Quality..... For Centaurs wanting a more equine look in the face.....sometime called a 'Mr Ed'....

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 23 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Oct 23 2014, 12:36 AM) *
More art for Run Faster on the CGL Tumbler and figured better say it before Stahlseele does (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Oct 23 2014, 11:23 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Oct 23 2014, 09:48 PM) *
But pg 82 of the Runner's Companion and pg 42 in Running Wild has images of the Centaur with a distinctly equine head and this is probably what many folk saw as being the standard in 4E so you can understand their confusion at the change.

It actually goes back to Paranormal Animals of Europe, where it says the head and some other features make it look vaguely equine (i.e., the head is one of the more equine features). For reasons unknown, RC reformulated that to "the head looks vaguely equine", but the artwork continued to show horse heads. Now the horse heads have entirely gone, for no reason I can think of...assuming it was intentional.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Oct 23 2014, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Runner

Soooo.. something like Klingon Foreheads but in reverse? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Oct 23 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

If we're lucky we might get that much of an explanation...

But really, why?

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Oct 24 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Oct 23 2014, 12:48 PM) *
Edit:
So the art team and description guys had a bit of a break in communication back then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I agree the description could match closer the new art with just a bit of tweaking in the drawing.

I chalk this up to poor quality control regarding the art in these books.

I mean, just immediately before that Runner's Companion image are a couple of absolutely awful depictions of various Infected on pages 78 and 81. All around, the art in RC is pretty terrible.

And while Running Wild in general has much, much higher quality artwork, it still has the occasional problem with inaccuracies in the material, even if the art itself is well rendered.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Oct 25 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Umidori @ Oct 24 2014, 02:46 AM) *
I chalk this up to poor quality control regarding the art in these books.

What makes you so sure it was the artist who dropped the ball, and not the writer who misunderstood the description in Paranormals of Europe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

We have a clear disconnect between the textual description and the artwork (unlike the other critters and metavariants), but which of the two took the wrong turn is hard to say...

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Oct 25 2014, 07:18 PM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I did not realize it was a fistbump at first and thought they were holding hands.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Oct 25 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (Sengir @ Oct 25 2014, 08:46 AM) *
What makes you so sure it was the artist who dropped the ball, and not the writer who misunderstood the description in Paranormals of Europe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

We have a clear disconnect between the textual description and the artwork (unlike the other critters and metavariants), but which of the two took the wrong turn is hard to say...

Well firstly, I don't exactly have Paranormals of Europe to compare the descriptions.

Secondly, as I already said, the artwork in Runner's Companion is pretty universally terrible, while Running Wild has a lot of inaccuracies of details in its art.

And thirdly, the wording of the descriptions between RC and RW is incredibly uniform, which suggests it is accurate while the art is not.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Ixal
post Oct 26 2014, 06:18 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 76,416

That happens all the time. Tell an artist to draw a centaur and that is what he comes up with.

Reminds me of the Aslan in Traveller. The description says "humanoid with features resembling lions" and the newest art makes them full anthro lions. Except there the older art got it right...

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Oct 26 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Was never big fan of horse headed version. More human face definetly makes it easier to interact with and be less alienated by more common races. AKA more PC accessible.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Oct 26 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Umidori @ Oct 25 2014, 10:05 PM) *
Well firstly, I don't exactly have Paranormals of Europe to compare the descriptions.

The namely, page 26:
The centaur's lower torso is biologically comparable to that of a large horse, and the upper, forward torso resembles that of a primate. It stands approximately 1.8 meters from ground to shoulder, weighing an average of 300 kilograms. The centaur moves on four legs, and uses a pair of powerfully muscled arms ending in three-fingered hands with an opposable thumb to perform more complex tasks. The enlarged and elongated upper vertebrae and nech, and the skull and head of the creature make it look vaguely equine, but it displays a larger frontal cortex than other horses. A thick mane covers the head and occasionally the neck. The centaur has 36 teeth, including strong incisors and well-developed canine teeth.

The image is the one seen in this article.

And thirdly, the wording of the descriptions between RC and RW is incredibly uniform, which suggests it is accurate while the art is not.

Well, the art is also uniform, even between all three sources (though the omnivore teeth were seemingly scaled back), and unlike the text it was done that way several times and not just copied. Also, you seem to be a bit mum on the textual discrepancies of RC...zombie plague, anyone?

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Oct 27 2014, 04:08 AM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Sengir @ Oct 26 2014, 04:54 PM) *
The namely, page 26:
The centaur's lower torso is biologically comparable to that of a large horse, and the upper, forward torso resembles that of a primate. It stands approximately 1.8 meters from ground to shoulder, weighing an average of 300 kilograms. The centaur moves on four legs, and uses a pair of powerfully muscled arms ending in three-fingered hands with an opposable thumb to perform more complex tasks. The enlarged and elongated upper vertebrae and nech, and the skull and head of the creature make it look vaguely equine, but it displays a larger frontal cortex than other horses. A thick mane covers the head and occasionally the neck. The centaur has 36 teeth, including strong incisors and well-developed canine teeth.

The image is the one seen in this article.
Wait... PAoE also uses the exact phrase "vaguely equine". And the image linked looks -far- more like a human head than a horse head.

QUOTE (Sengir @ Oct 26 2014, 04:54 PM) *
Well, the art is also uniform, even between all three sources...
In what way? The image above is clearly more humanoid than equine in terms of the head, but the later RC and RW images are incontestibly horse-headed.

I was assuming PAoE actually undermined my position as an earlier edition work, but from everything you've just shown me it actually supports my viewpoint that centaurs are supposed to have humanoid heads - yes, "vaguely equine" ones, but still chiefly human - and the RC and RW images are simply inaccurate.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Oct 27 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Umidori @ Oct 27 2014, 05:08 AM) *
Wait... PAoE also uses the exact phrase "vaguely equine".

But not in the same relation, as I stated before...

PAoE names the head as a contributing factor to the equine look, contrasting it with the again non-equine brain. Essentially, the text says "it has a primate torso, but with the head and everything it looks vaguely like a horse again".

The image above is clearly more humanoid than equine in terms of the head

Humanoid? It has some features discerning it from a regular horse, notably the canines, and the angle between the forehead and snout looks a bit different from what I imagine a horse. But humanoid? If anything, one could say the snout looks a bit wolf-ish..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.