IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PowerBall and Floors!, And I don't mean the lottery.
Erebus
post May 9 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,872

Am I missing something on the Object Resistance table, or does a mage who casts a Force 6 PowerBall at a group of security guards, and gets at least a single 10 take out the floor they're standing on to?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 9 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Yes you did, see attacks against barriers, you'll be lucky just to drop the barrier rating of the floor by one.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post May 9 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

Ahhh.. So assuming the lowest rating, the floor rates a 12, but thats doubled against combat spells to 24, and since the spell is only force 6 which is not greater than half the barrier rating, its nothing but cosmetic damage.... OK. I got it now. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post May 9 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Mm, melted tile.

Put plaster walls with gas lines in them. Nothing beats it.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 9 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Can't damage a gas line in a wall with a combat spell, you didn't have LOS to it when you cast the spell so it is immune. The wall itself however, is flipping toast.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post May 9 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I don't know if I'd consider a floor structural material. Most floors in modern buildings are still wooden. I'd consider structural material to be something like concrete or granite. I'd consider most floors, unless they are designed to hold vehicles, to be heavy material (BR6). Even then the powerball would only lower barrier rating by 1 though.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post May 9 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Depending on the building of course, you might very well have a wooden floor - but between that and the level below you there might very well be armored concrete, or something similar.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 9 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

I seriously doubt most facilities would have "armored concrete" floors. At most there might be some plasticrete girders in anything larger than a home somewhere, but they'd only be there for support.

Now structures such as military bunkers, hardcore R&D facilities, and prisons are another story.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post May 9 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

@snowRaven:
True, the surface might be pitted and wrenched though.. I'd make it count as difficult ground (just for fun).

The pic on P139 of MitS is one possible visual effect... I think that's supposed to be ball lightning though, so cut the lightning bolt and it's cool.

A F6 or so Ball Lightning spell could definately have that effect. They are vulnerable to the gas-main-behind plasterboard technique, but if you cast it at light damage it has no elemental effects so can't ignight the gas :wobble:.

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post May 9 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,291

Still, do keep in mind, if the Red Samurai find you in a rickety lay-lowhouse in the Barrens, and you Powerball them, it may well take out the worm-eaten and water-damaged floor below them. :D

+Quote Post
booklord
post May 10 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

If a floor was covered with cheap plastic or industrial rubber substitute tiles wouldn't they provide the object resistance of cheap plastic or industrial rubber substitute even if underneath the tiles was wood? After all you can only effect what you can see, and you can't see the wood.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post May 10 2004, 01:41 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (snowRaven)
Depending on the building of course, you might very well have a wooden floor - but between that and the level below you there might very well be armored concrete, or something similar.

Reinforced concrete, don't you mean?

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 10 2004, 02:15 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

You could always just target the entire building, too. There is no size limit for most spells. There's even a canonical reference for doing this somewhere in the Ritual Sorcery rules where they mention having a brick from a building is enough to target it through the process.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post May 10 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #14

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Floors are considered structural. Anything with a load rated of 100 to 200 lbs. per square foot should be structural. However, it is rare in an office building to see the structural material. Carpets, doors, door frames and plasterboard are all fair game for the first combat spell.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 10 2004, 02:56 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I think defining things into components only is rather... I don't know... unworkable. A floor is a floor. That includes the carpet, subfloor, supports, and any insulation that might be there. You might as well declare that you can't target a wall without first destroying the paint covering it, and then the plaster, and then the drywall, and then the studs and the same in reverse on the other side.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 10 2004, 03:43 AM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Someday I need to make a SuperBall spell.

I don't know what it will do yet. That's not the important part.

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post May 10 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

How about a Happy Fun Ball spell?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 10 2004, 04:08 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Rule number one: you do not talk about Happy Fun Ball.

~J

Postscript: for those who care, rule number one was set down long before Fight Club hit the presses, let alone movie theatres.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 10 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Normal reinforced concrete used in usual civillian buildings is Grade 35.

You can use higher grades, but I do not see any city council accepting anything less than Grade 30 concrete in their buildings. Especially any city prone to earthquakes.

+Quote Post
booklord
post May 10 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

My thought on this ( and I don't have any house rules I'm just stating how I would handle it. )

You hit the floor with some really powerful powerball.
You take the object resistance of whatever is covering the floor.

If the powerball was strong enough to take out covering you move on to what was under the floor.

If what is under the floor has a greater or equal object resistance you use that, you recount your successes using that as the new target number.

If what is under the floor covering has a lesser object resistance you keep the object resistance of the floor covering and the number of successes you got against it when determining how much damage you do to that.

The force of the spell will decrease as it continues to blast its way through the floor. Keep going down until the spell no longer has the force needed to blast through the next layer of floor.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post May 10 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

@toturi:
I'm guessing you're talking about some form of concrete grading system rather than barrier rating... Otherwise most buildings will be off the barrier rating scale.

Does amyone have any canon examples of how strong particular materials are? There are examples of glass ratings, but no real idea about how that compares with wood, concrete, and building construction...

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 10 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #22

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Lilt)
@toturi:
I'm guessing you're talking about some form of concrete grading system rather than barrier rating... Otherwise most buildings will be off the barrier rating scale.

What I meant was that I seriously doubt a powerball/bolt can destroy a floor, you might not see it, but the concrete is there.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 10 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Lilt)
Does amyone have any canon examples of how strong particular materials are? There are examples of glass ratings, but no real idea about how that compares with wood, concrete, and building construction...

You're better of not thinking about glass. As it's written, you can't blow a hole into a standard glass window with 1kg of TNT unless you have the Demolitions skill.

I've got nothing canon, but I'd guess most interior non-supporting walls would fall between BR 3 and 8, 3 being maybe the equivalent of 10cm of wood and 8 being a 15cm concrete wall. I'd probably rate floors at 8 through 10 for most buildings that are not reinforced for some special reason.

The scale is obviously exponential, but there's no way to figure out what the BR of 50cm of reinforced concrete is even if you'd think of BR 12 as 25cm of reinforced concrete.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 10 2004, 01:31 PM
Post #24

Canon Companion

If BR 12 is 250mm RC, then 500mm RC would be about BR 14, IMO.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 10 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

There's nothing wrong with deciding something like that, obviously, but you might as well say it's 13 or 15 or 16. 50cm of reinforced concrete might well be "Heavy Structural Material".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.