IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Dice, How would you have them?
vanishingpointe
post Mar 5 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 190,210

I've recently taken my woodworking and design skills into the 21st century and started creating designs for 3d printing. Being a longtime Shadowrun fan, I was thinking about making myself some custom d6 that are easy to read and specifically geared toward Shadowrun.

I'm leaning toward a modern design with lightly beveled edges, special faces for 5 and 6 to indicate hits, and a facing for a one to indicate a possible glitch.

I was leaning for the 5th edition logo on the 5/6 facing, but I didn't want to trounce on any copyrights. Since I will be publishing on the internet for printing, I figured I'd ask the community what they would like to see on a die for their game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Mar 5 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

There've been deals with dice and merchandise from 3rd party providers in earlier times. It wouldn't hurt to ask, if you want to use corporate or the SR logos, but you'd likely be looking at an interest payment.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Mar 5 2015, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Good question. I got the official SR-dice where 5 and 6 are replaced by the old "symbol", but i wasn´t really satisfied with the grade of difference these symbols showed compared to the numbers. This was

a) because the dice were transparent and the colour into the carving was quite dark
b) they added too much symbol on the sides. (stupid way to explain, sorry, no native speaker).

I would try to give the 5 and 6 a specific colour, so that you can see on the first look, that they are different. If you put symbols on them, make em bigger than the numbers. And try to get a good contrast between material/color of the die itself and the printing/carving.

I hope this helps.

Horrido from germany.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 5 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

How about labeling the "interesting" sides numerically and the rest with pips? That way you would have a clear highlighting without making parts of the die harder to read.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Mar 5 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

QUOTE (vanishingpointe @ Mar 5 2015, 03:35 PM) *
I've recently taken my woodworking and design skills into the 21st century and started creating designs for 3d printing. Being a longtime Shadowrun fan, I was thinking about making myself some custom d6 that are easy to read and specifically geared toward Shadowrun.

I'm leaning toward a modern design with lightly beveled edges, special faces for 5 and 6 to indicate hits, and a facing for a one to indicate a possible glitch.

I was leaning for the 5th edition logo on the 5/6 facing, but I didn't want to trounce on any copyrights. Since I will be publishing on the internet for printing, I figured I'd ask the community what they would like to see on a die for their game.

You'd sell them if you don't want copyrights problems, no?

I'd be interested btw.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Mar 5 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Chessex would be happy to make a bunch of dice with two success sides, one failure side, and three blank sides. They might charge a bit unless you buy bulk, but they'll do it.

+Quote Post
vanishingpointe
post Mar 5 2015, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Target

I worked up a few rough designs, I am open to constructive criticism.

Image 1

Image 2

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Mar 5 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 864

Wouldn't you want to differentiate the 6, though? There's a way to use Edge where the 6s get rerolled.

+Quote Post
vanishingpointe
post Mar 5 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #9

Target

You, sir, are correct. Working on a solution.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Mar 5 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Maybe some 6's right in the middle of the goat head for a 6?
Three would probably be the right number (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
vanishingpointe
post Mar 5 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #11

Target

Numbers included on the "hit" faces. How about this and this?

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Mar 5 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I like it.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Mar 5 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Mar 5 2015, 04:36 PM) *
Good question. I got the official SR-dice where 5 and 6 are replaced by the old "symbol", but i wasn´t really satisfied with the grade of difference these symbols showed compared to the numbers. This was

a) because the dice were transparent and the colour into the carving was quite dark
b) they added too much symbol on the sides. (stupid way to explain, sorry, no native speaker).

These ones?

I love my "Japanese" dice. Kind of old school Shadowrun style. Maybe an inspiration?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 5 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #14

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

If I might suggest, instead of logos... Here's how I would do it:

Use high-gloss black for your base dice material.

Use bright, stand-out digits on all six facets.
The 1 should be bright red, because 1s rolled can have negative effect depending on version and optional rules.
2 and 3 should be a light, legible gray.
4 should be a bright white, because depending on the version/optional rules, 4s can be successes as well.
5 should be green.
6 should be green with a gold border, or just solid gold if the border is too much trouble, or just green if the gold is too fancy-pants.

Each numeral should be absolutely unmistakable, so as to know which side is down. This means using a "1" with the foot and header.

Each numeral should have a circle inscribed around it, with an arrow pointing off from the circle, to indicate scatter. That is: 6 would have the circle above and to the left, 1 would be directly above, 2 would be above and to the right, 3 would be below and to the right, 4 would be below, and 5 would be below and to the left.

+Quote Post
PraetorGradivus
post Mar 5 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 142,622

If these dice are for sr4/5 then the numbers are superfluous... have one hit be black the other red.. and one face say glitch. The other 3 faces blank...
btw, i like the goat head better than the SR

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 6 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #16

Horror

QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Mar 5 2015, 05:51 PM) *
If these dice are for sr4/5 then the numbers are superfluous... have one hit be black the other red.. and one face say glitch. The other 3 faces blank...

Numbers are not superflous, for the simple reason that the dice may well wind up pressed into service for other uses.

+Quote Post
AJCarrington
post Mar 6 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 7,628

Really like this...particularly the "goat head" versions.

+Quote Post
vanishingpointe
post Mar 6 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #18

Target

I'll be working on alternate versions of the dice based on many of the suggestions. Right now I'm in concept phase, but if I build my 3d model wisely, I'll be able to create most of these concepts. The only one I worry about is the suggested die with the color-coded faces; that one might rank in as a bit costly considering that I would have to have it printed on artificial sandstone. Aside from being impractical as far as durability is concerned, it would be about 11 dollars a die. I was hoping to keep the cost on these down by having them printable in hard or polished plastics and, if there is someone with a real dice fetish, steel or bronze.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 6 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Mar 5 2015, 11:51 PM) *

SR4 has a few cases where twos also count towards glitches (rushing Extended Tests, for example), in 5th your have the new-old initiative, and of course there is the question of general utility. At lest speaking for myself, Shadowrun needs too many dice to make dice which only work for that one game a good investment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 7 2015, 03:19 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Chiming in to agree on the goat heads.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 7 2015, 06:13 AM
Post #21

Horror

QUOTE (vanishingpointe @ Mar 6 2015, 08:41 AM) *
I'll be working on alternate versions of the dice based on many of the suggestions. Right now I'm in concept phase, but if I build my 3d model wisely, I'll be able to create most of these concepts. The only one I worry about is the suggested die with the color-coded faces; that one might rank in as a bit costly considering that I would have to have it printed on artificial sandstone. Aside from being impractical as far as durability is concerned, it would be about 11 dollars a die. I was hoping to keep the cost on these down by having them printable in hard or polished plastics and, if there is someone with a real dice fetish, steel or bronze.

Well, you could just ditch the color-coding entirely. The only things I'm really keen on are that all faces of the die are readable, and the scatter rings.

+Quote Post
vanishingpointe
post Mar 9 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #22

Target

Thought I'd drop a status update.

The original die has been aggressively redesigned for aesthetics, readability, and compatibility with a 3d printer. I should have the actual model ready and uploaded by the end of the week.

I'm going to start plunking away at a die with pips and scatter arrows instead of the graphic faces, as per input.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 9 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

That looks real nice.

If you can get the pips different colors (the glitch face red, the 6 in green?, the rest white) that would be even more awesomes.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 10 2015, 02:17 AM
Post #24

Horror

Eh... I think numbers would be better than pips, personally, but it's your dice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
vanishingpointe
post Mar 10 2015, 03:15 AM
Post #25

Target

Nah, I can do numbers quite easily. Besides, you're the one who wanted the scatter die, so I am happy to oblige.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.