Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool ways to use spirits, Suggestions
Cirenya
post May 10 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,318

Personnally I find spirits very usefull, both nature spirits and elementals. Both I'm wondering how others are using them?

Elementals I primeraly use for their ability to materilize all kind of fun places (Nothing like a waterelemental in a generator or a fire elemental in petrol tank)

Nature spirits I use for conceil, Accident and confusion

Hope to gets some good ideas
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 10 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I've used Heart spirits to punch in the numeric code to locked doors. IIRC, we rolled half the spirits force against the rating of the numlock, because, although the spirit is familiar with that operation, he might only see it as an abstract action and not know the actual numbers.

Air elems or sky spirits transporting you around is also nice, especially when you need to make an emergency exit through the 34th floor window.

Materializing spirits or elems (earth elems are the best for this) in front of a hail of bullets in order to escape.

Earth elems digging tunnels.

Once had a wind spirit twirl around a piece of glass coated with cyanide.

Edit: Welcome to dumpshock forums!

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 10 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 10 2004, 03:55 PM)
Air elems or sky spirits transporting you around is also nice.

You must be conjuring some pretty high Force spirits, then, since even a Force 6 one can barely carry 60kg without being disrupted after a few seconds and anything over 15kg will result in the same.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post May 10 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 10 2004, 03:55 PM)
Air elems or sky spirits transporting you around is also nice.

You must be conjuring some pretty high Force spirits, then, since even a Force 6 one can barely carry 60kg without being disrupted after a few seconds and anything over 15kg will result in the same.

Or lots of them. Three Force 4 spirits could safely lower 120kg (264lb.) of flesh and equipment down the outside of a building. Of course Levitate + Movement is far superior.

"Light as a feather, stiff as a board. Light as a feather, stiff as a board. Light as a feather, stiff as a board. Light as a feather, stiff as a board. Light as a feather, stiff as a board....."

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 10 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Three Force 4 air or sky spirits could not safely carry 120kg. Try 60kg (each one has Strength 1 and you can carry a maximum of Strength*20, though you have less than two Combat Turns to do it before they go POOF).

+Quote Post
Lilt
post May 10 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

High force elementals are useful for killing the world... It's not original but it's a good one.

GMs can make spirit variants interesting. Give Desert(Frozen Tundra) spirits cold aura or ice blast or something. In-general I've made spirits in areas which are classically spiritually strong or naturally rich slightly more powerful. Swamp spirits have this already, I give Jungle(Forest) spirits Binding, I've given Sewer(City) spirits the water engulf power. Some people have made variant elementals such-as Metal, Electricity, Ice, Smoke, ETC. While none of that is canon, it makes spirits more fun (and slightly more powerful).

@ACL: Air elementals can use both psychokinesis and actual strength to help a character down.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post May 10 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ May 10 2004, 10:20 PM)
Three Force 4 air or sky spirits could not safely carry 120kg.  Try 60kg (each one has Strength 1 and you can carry a maximum of Strength*20, though you have less than two Combat Turns to do it before they go POOF).

Er, that should be three Force 6 spirits. And two combat turns is enough to get you down the fast way. The landing might be a bit bumpy, but you'll live. :)

EDIT: Two Force 6 spirits would be enough for many PC mages (since they usually don't carry a lot of heavy gear). Trolls and orcs would have problems, and heavily cybered PCs are pretty much hooped. Also if you went with a single Force 8 that is, what 100kg? That'd even be able to haul my fat butt down. :)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 11 2004, 02:24 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I've had a free spirit use Concealment on a tundra road and then on the vehicle tracks while using Confusion to make the characters think they were headed towards the town and not in circles. The same spirit also starved the town by Concealing the food and making the communications equipment appear malfunctioning with Confusion.

Another trick is to have a Forest Spirit Conceal a pit of vipers or similar, and then use either Fear or Confusion to drive the targets into the ambush.

+Quote Post
kuroko
post May 11 2004, 03:33 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 3,936

QUOTE (Cirenya)
Personnally I find spirits very usefull, both nature spirits and elementals. Both I'm wondering how others are using them?

Elementals I primeraly use for their ability to materilize all kind of fun places (Nothing like a waterelemental in a generator or a fire elemental in petrol tank)

Nature spirits I use for conceil, Accident and confusion

Hope to gets some good ideas

During the power outage stage of one module (Brainscan? - right after the team hits a transformer station) our mage was flying across town to meet up with the others. When a Lone Star Mage kept telling him to stop using a high-force (f6) spell, he mocked happy fun ball.

There's no better taunt than six watcher spirits singing your words back to you as a chorus.

There's also the common use of having the spirit materialize and hover just above the invisible man.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 11 2004, 05:22 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,909

the most interesting thing ive ever done with spirit's was this

My character was projecting and we had to get another pc out of the bottom of a lake. so i had an air elemental oxygenate him and an earth elemental use the engulf power to engulf the PC and Air elem and move them undergroung to the top of a cliff. It was a rather interesting situation

+Quote Post
dEdDaWg
post May 11 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 676

2 levels of initiation

Invoking.

Channelling.

High Force spirit.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post May 11 2004, 08:07 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Props, man. Props.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post May 12 2004, 07:18 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Full load of low-lifespan, Force 6 watcher spirits. Friends in melee bonuses, skill of 6, combat pool of 9. Sure, they might only do a base astral damage of 6L Stun, but as an astral swarm they can seriously hamper even potent astrally active opponents.

Of course, the same goes for any sort of nature spirit or spirit of the elements, but watchers are easier to whip up on short notice. Also, you can do both, i.e. a combined swarm of spirits and watchers, thus providing a number of astral legbreakers equal to twice your Charisma(since watchers run their own tally, seperate from other conjured spirits).

A powerful magician character of mine, when faced with very powerful opposition, recently, conjured forth five great form spirits of the winds and twelve watchers, and did it in 4 combat turns. At seventeen spirits in twelve seconds, he conjured faster than the average person in SR can fire a semiautomatic handgun.

+Quote Post
noname_hero
post May 12 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 2,030

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Full load of low-lifespan, Force 6 watcher spirits. Friends in melee bonuses, skill of 6, combat pool of 9. Sure, they might only do a base astral damage of 6L Stun, but as an astral swarm they can seriously hamper even potent astrally active opponents.

Errmmm... I'd say anybody with Magic 11+ (required for conjuring Force 6 watchers) can cause much more troubles ny other uses of spirits, if he needs them at all.

One creative use of watchers I recall is the use of their ability to search for living beings to clear our camping site on our recent run. We were camping in a tunisian desert, and we've noticed some scorpions and the like live around our soon-to-become-camp. So a mage summoned a couple of watchers and instructed them to locate scorpions and spiders and snakes. A few minutes later most of the team stared in disbelief as the place filled with manifested watchers pointing and squeaking "I've found one", and the team's two mages hunted scorpions with Stunbolts and Magic Fingers.
You know, it seemed more funny at the time...

+Quote Post
Lilt
post May 12 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (noname_hero)
Errmmm... I'd say anybody with Magic 11+ (required for conjuring Force 6 watchers) can cause much more troubles ny other uses of spirits, if he needs them at all.

Don't forget that Power Foci increase their owner's Magic Attribute for determining the maximum spirit force that can be summoned.

+Quote Post
northern lights
post May 14 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

use a bunch of force 1 ally spirits. say for example a mage with 4 force 1 ally spirits. each one with on of your random spells and your sorcery skill. so you have a few cool spells available, plus, get a power focus to offset some of the loss, or use the spirits as foci.

but use their spell pool and sorcery for spell defense.

imagine 4 spirits each with sorcery/spell defense 5/7 and their spell pool. walking around with ove 30 dice of spell resistance while the spirits are in astral form. and don't complain about losing the magic points. banishing them returns your magic point. so you become practically immune to all spells with no karma cost and a total cost of 4k nuyen

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 14 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Wow if any of my characters ever saw an opposing mage with 4 force 1 ally spirits following him around he would indeed summon 7 force 6 elementals and procede to banish every one of his ally's and just leave him their to live with the shame of being dumb enough to actually put four of his points of magic into something so easily destroyable.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 14 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

No, you should follow it up by making the twit mundane (one of the mage-duel options in SOTA) and then killing him with a series of stunbolts.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 14 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

haha good idea. What is SOTA?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 14 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

State of the Art 2063 a sourcebook for 3rd edition.

+Quote Post
Beast of Revolut...
post May 14 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,140

Have spirits materialize in front of moving cars. Send watchers to "haunt" Christian Fundamntalists who believe the awakening is evil. Use the accident power on a plane carrying your assasination target. Materialize an air elemental or wind spirit using a tank of cyanide gas. Materialize an air elemental out of natural gas, and watch the fun when people shoot it point blank. Use the movement power to increase the speed of an enemy vehicle, and watch them roll over when they try to make a sharp turn. Use the movement power on a semiballistic as it's climbing and watch it's helpless occupants get catapulted off into space.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post May 15 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Don't forget using movement to speed up an oil tanker coming into the harbor of a large city, or slow down a stunt driver trying to jump a car over live volunteers. Or using accident on a nuclear power plant. Or materializing an earth or water elemental out of hot lava, depending on the GMs preference. Or materializing a fire elemental out of a flamable object being carried by an enemy. Or materialzing a city elemental out of a chunck of the street so as to leave a big ditch for enemies to drive into. Or using the movement power to slow down a plane below stall speed. Or slow down a bullet or missile fired by a plan so the plane runs into it's own shot. Or using movement to speed up a thrown object, turning an ordinary baseball into a lethal weapon.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 15 2004, 05:33 AM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

Against vehicles, Movement can only affect Acceleration - this includes missiles. For bullets, the Spirit would have to be ordered prior to fireing or on a delayed action as the bullets take very little time to reach their target in Shaodwrun terms. Using it on a baseball and such is a good idea though.

Where can I find information about choosing the Materialization of a spirit?

Accident on a Nuclear Power Plant? I wouldn't think spirit powers could effect entire buildings... But use Concealment on the Emergency Exits and Confusion on the crew...

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 15 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #24

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Or materializing a fire elemental out of a flamable object being carried by an enemy. Or materialzing a city elemental out of a chunck of the street so as to leave a big ditch for enemies to drive into.
Er... elementals do not require nor use any element except when you summon them for th first time, and I was under the impression you could not choose how a nature spirit manifests at all... am I missing something?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 15 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If there was such a thing as a city elemental, you could perform the 6 hour conjuring test on the middle of a road to make a ditch on the road.

Spirits do not use up any material from their surroundings to manifest, they just have a form that fits in.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.