post Jun 25 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 195,189

Seattle
Spirits & Astral Plane
Ghostwalker

What was Ghostwalker's motivation for closing the rifts? Is there a novel for this?

I must know more about all these but I can't buy any more source books unless I get the playgroup to crowdfund it.

I know there's the Seattle 2072 source book, is it good?

I haven't seen a spirity 5e book. Can I just use 4e source books for setting stuff? I assume the spirit world wouldn't change much.

Juicy internet links?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jun 25 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 37,075

I think the Seattle 2072 sourcebook is fine, but I wish it had more detail. Still, I have a campaign set in Seattle and I reference the book almost every week for material.

I'm from Seattle myself so I'm particularly critical. My favorite is still the Seattle Sourcebook from 1st edition, which is 25 YEARS OLD OH MY GOD but I still really like it. I am particularly fond of the Lone Star ratings for different neighborhoods, which are lacking in the more recent books.

It would be entirely reasonable for someone less invested in the precise details of Seattle to be happy with Seattle 2072. Runner Havens is another potential source of material on Seattle.

It is definitely fair to use 4E sourcebooks for setting stuff. The spirit world has not changed significantly.

I don't pay as much attention to the Great Dragons so someone else will have to chime in on Ghostwalker and rifts.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jun 26 2015, 03:28 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Hm I may be imagining, but something about that big open astral wound being a badthing for Shedim surging and stuff, plus other potential badness (Horror related maybe?) so closing it was like closing a Chaos rift or something?

+Quote Post
Overclockworked
post Jun 26 2015, 04:59 AM
Post #4

Target

QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Jun 25 2015, 09:22 PM) *
I think the Seattle 2072 sourcebook is fine, but I wish it had more detail. Still, I have a campaign set in Seattle and I reference the book almost every week for material.

I'm from Seattle myself so I'm particularly critical. My favorite is still the Seattle Sourcebook from 1st edition, which is 25 YEARS OLD OH MY GOD but I still really like it. I am particularly fond of the Lone Star ratings for different neighborhoods, which are lacking in the more recent books.

It would be entirely reasonable for someone less invested in the precise details of Seattle to be happy with Seattle 2072. Runner Havens is another potential source of material on Seattle.

It is definitely fair to use 4E sourcebooks for setting stuff. The spirit world has not changed significantly.

I don't pay as much attention to the Great Dragons so someone else will have to chime in on Ghostwalker and rifts.

Thanks! I'll pretty please crowd fund it from my group. Grain of salt noted, but if a Seattle native uses it I'll consider it a stamp of approval. I'd love to get my hands on some older books though.

QUOTE (Voran @ Jun 26 2015, 04:28 AM) *
Hm I may be imagining, but something about that big open astral wound being a badthing for Shedim surging and stuff, plus other potential badness (Horror related maybe?) so closing it was like closing a Chaos rift or something?

Ok. In my setting he's trying to shift his power because his feudal stint in Denver isn't working out and he's modernizing to avoid political pressure (aka Aztlan and NAN militarizing against the random feudal king). My plan was to have Ghostwalker occupy Seattle as a spirit rift opened, and prepare a ritual to kind of put a faucet on it. He would turn Seattle into a giant spirit bathtub and eventually challenge Hestaby.

I'll look up the horrors and shedim, though I was under the impression that Ghostwalker controlled the latter because they followed him through the last rift he closed? I'll have to do some research on horrors cause that might be a deal breaker, or maybe the "faucet" keeps them at bay? Idk
I'm mainly just musing to hash out any bugs in the overarching plot here. I don't even think my PCs will ever encounter GW, they'll mainly deal with his sleeper agents preparing the city for his arrival.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jun 26 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

The shedim just came along on Ghostwalker's coattails when he came out of the DC rift. He doesn't control them or like them. Shedim are supposed to be the main source for tales of the walking dead. Possess a dead body and animate it, call in more of your brethren and then let them possess a dead body, rinse and repeat until the world is yours.
If the horrors had an easy access point to earth that is what is generally considered a very bad thing. Ghostwalker would be very unlikely to have anything to do with such a rift beyond figuring out how to close the thing.
Now if you want the Seattle security ratings from the 1st ed book, some kind soul has gone to the effort to put them on a map. You can find it here.
http://www.1w6.de/rpg/sr/map/?borders=on

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 26 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

The original Seatte Sourcebook was amazing. I lived in Seattle then, and I loved seeing how well they preserved most of the town. Seattle has character, it was the 90's equivalent of Portlandia, and it was great to see that represented.

Runner Havens, not so much. I posted a review of if when it came out; the bottom line is that is should have been named Target: Hong Kong. Hong Kong is amazing, everything else was designed to be cookie cutter and boilerplate.

+Quote Post
Overclockworked
post Jun 27 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jun 26 2015, 07:31 PM) *
The shedim just came along on Ghostwalker's coattails when he came out of the DC rift. He doesn't control them or like them. Shedim are supposed to be the main source for tales of the walking dead. Possess a dead body and animate it, call in more of your brethren and then let them possess a dead body, rinse and repeat until the world is yours.
If the horrors had an easy access point to earth that is what is generally considered a very bad thing. Ghostwalker would be very unlikely to have anything to do with such a rift beyond figuring out how to close the thing.
Now if you want the Seattle security ratings from the 1st ed book, some kind soul has gone to the effort to put them on a map. You can find it here.
http://www.1w6.de/rpg/sr/map/?borders=on

I suspected as much regarding Ghostwalker and spirit rifts, but there are tons of reasons he'd shift his power base. From what I've read, nobody was really satisfied with GW just setting himself up king style in Denver and just trailing off.

And thanks for the ratings, I was actually hoping to include them with my new player guide so this will help a lot.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jun 27 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (Overclockworked @ Jun 25 2015, 10:06 AM) *
Seattle
Spirits & Astral Plane
Ghostwalker

What was Ghostwalker's motivation for closing the rifts? Is there a novel for this?

Ghostwalker had been after a set of artifacts (The Relics of Power modules have all the details) and, in the end, when he has what he wanted, he dove into the Rift in DC. It then exploded, doing some local damage, some serious spiritual damage, and closed off the only known way that Shedim had to get from wherever they're from to Here. In essence, all teh Shedim that will be here a*are* here, and each one that gets 'killed' is gone for good.

Exactly what Ghostwalker was up to isn't known, but he stayed gone for a while and, when he returned to Denver, he seemed a bit more ... I don't want to say *mellow*, but in a better mood for certain. In the whole process, one of the Immortal ELves was killed, which unhinged Harlequin, who went on a "Screw you, Ghostwalker!" campaign, doing his best to cause chaos in Denver, causing trouble, and, in the end, challenged Big White to a one-on-one duel ... which he lost. Harley was last seen being talked down and evaced by Ehran teh Scribe and an unknown Elf, and Ghostwalker allowed him to retreat. (No further development on this one ... yet.)

At any rate, closing the portal seems to have been a side-effect of whatever Ghostwalker was up to, rather than the GOAL.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.