IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [SR5] Sustained Spell & Line-Of-Sight, Can a spellcaster sustain spells beyond LOS?
Adhoc
post Jun 28 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 911

Hi,

Last time we played I wanted to cast Improved Invisibility on our sniper.

Range on the Improved Invisibility is LOS, so I have to see him, when I cast the spell.

However, he wanted to move away from my LOS - can I sustain the spell when he no longer is in my LOS?

The rules didn't seem to state anything about it.

A.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 28 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Once you have successfully cast a spell, you can sustain it outside of Line of Sight. LOS requirements are only for Targeting of the spell... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Adhoc
post Jun 28 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 911

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 28 2015, 06:46 PM) *
Once you have successfully cast a spell, you can sustain it outside of Line of Sight. LOS requirements are only for Targeting of the spell... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That is also how we played with it in the former editions.

But I'll have to persuade my GM that it is like this in 5th: do you have a reference to where the rule is?

The only thing I can find is in the core rulebook on p. 283:

"Duration: This describes how long the spellís effect lasts. Instantaneous (I) spells have an effect that happens and then fades, while Sustained (S) spells last as long as you keep them going".

But I guess that would probably would suffice...

A.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 28 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

You only check for targeting requirements during Step 2 of the Spellcasting Process. Sustaining the spell occurs after that step in the process, after the spell has its effect (resolves), and is only required if you want the effect of the spell to continue past its initial resolution. By that point, targeting has already been satisfied.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jun 28 2015, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Sniper + Improved Invis could be a headache for the GM if overused so use cautiously. Because anything you can do so can the GM.

Also remember the sustained spell could be noticeable from the astral and things like wards and other mages can potentially strip away said magicks as well.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 29 2015, 12:11 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Adhoc @ Jun 28 2015, 12:52 PM) *
That is also how we played with it in the former editions.

But I'll have to persuade my GM that it is like this in 5th: do you have a reference to where the rule is?

The only thing I can find is in the core rulebook on p. 283:

"Duration: This describes how long the spellís effect lasts. Instantaneous (I) spells have an effect that happens and then fades, while Sustained (S) spells last as long as you keep them going".

But I guess that would probably would suffice...

A.

how else does he imagine invisibility to function? by definition, if invisibility works, you cannot sustain it unless you can sustain it without seeing the target.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jun 29 2015, 01:33 AM
Post #7

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Jaid)
how else does he imagine invisibility to function? by definition, if invisibility works, you cannot sustain it unless you can sustain it without seeing the target.

You would be correct for previous editions but I do seem to recall that in 5th Ed someone had the bright idea of explicitly stating that no caster would fall for his own illusion and subsequently would be able to see "through" it under all circumstances.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th March 2024 - 05:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.