IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR5's Possession Power Does Not Grant Immunity to Normal Weapons?
coolgrafix
post Feb 10 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

So I'm running SRM04-10 Romero and Juliette using SR5 rules. I'm referencing Humanitarian Aid's dual-stats from Running Wild to get a handle on Shedim in SR4 versus SR5. Something very important became apparent, and that is a difference in wording regarding the Possession power in Street Magic page 102 versus the same power in Street Grimoire page 197.

In Street Magic, there is an additional paragraph of sidebar text that reads:

When a spirit possesses a vessel, the combined being that results is dual-natured, has Immunity to Normal Weapons (p. 289, SR4), and boasts all of the spirit’s powers and skills. Occasionally a possessing spirit’s nature manifests through the vessel in an effect similar to a shamanic mask (p. 168, SR4).

In Street Grimoire's version of this power, all of SM's Possession sidebar text has been integrated into the power's main description, with the exception of the wording about Immunity to Normal Weapons.

I looked at the SG Errata and there was nothing about this. I checked Dumpshock's forum and found nothing also. Which is odd because I would have assumed at least someone griped a LITTLE. =) So I may be missing it.

Seems like the version of Humanitarian Aid in Running Wild would have mentioned "oh, in SR4 do this, but in SR5 don't do this" if that was the intent. Though, Street Grimoire was definitely not out at that time so perhaps the author didn't have that guidance.

So has this already been hashed out and was determined to simply be an oversight? Or was it deliberate and intended to nerf folks who casually had their spirits possess them (and get the Immunity to Normal Weapons)? Or something else entirely?

Without this, the shedim don't seem nearly as formidable, though Regeneration and Deathly Aura are nothing to sneeze at.

Help!

Thanks,
Brad =)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Feb 10 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index....19086#msg319086

This has been talked about a bit, and it seems for 5th possessing spirits do not grant ItNW probably because of the issues it caused when layered on top of a PC.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Feb 10 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Yeah, this was a fix to the Invincible Houngan problem from previous editions.

It still doesn't quite get there.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Feb 10 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,116

Gotcha. Good find on that link.

Looks like a lack of consensus, and I would tend to agree with those that view it as either an oversight or an overnerf. Will need to figure out a plan on my end that I can live with.

Thanks!
Brad

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Feb 13 2016, 06:40 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,653

Makes shedim a lot less scary, no longer having ITNW. Did find it noted somewhere for inhabitation, though, so at least bugs of all forms are still durable.

And I would've thought that dealing with the "Invincible Houngan" would be dealt with the same way as dealing with any other spirit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.