Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun 101, Help people start playing the game
JongWK
post May 14 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

It seems to me that we get a new thread every week or so about new roleplayers, or how to introduce gamers to Shadowrun. A good deal of them keep mentioning the initial complexity of the game and the system.

So...

What I propose to the Dumpshock community is to create a crash course fact sheet. Ideally, it should be three pages:

1) Brief intro to the Sixth World, what is a shadowrunner and what are the usual stages of a run.

3) Game concepts and basic mechanics like the rules of Six and Ones, open tests, etc.

2) Character creation steps. Easy and simple. Avoid deckers, riggers and the more complicated magic rules.

What do you think? Who's up to the challenge? :cyber:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aesir
post May 14 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,887

Sounds like a good idea but I´m certainly not up to it. :P

You know there´s an official quick-start book right?

+Quote Post
JongWK
post May 14 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Sure, but that means buying it. I'm looking for something that can be easily given to anyone. Ideally, you get the pages, read them and are ready to start making your first shadowrunner in 30 minutes.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 14 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Not bad... I think I'll give it a try.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post May 15 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #5

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

Leave out the rules for character creation. That's not the place to start a newbie. They want to jump in and enjoy the game. Good pre-made characters, with some background that describes the Shadowrun world from the character's point of view, gets them started very quickly.

Handouts for the Combat Turn, or Ranged Combat, or Melee Combat, or Spellcasting, might be useful.

But the biggest thing for involving new players is the GM.

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 15 2004, 03:28 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

We've been giving out quick Matrix, Magic, and Rigging 101 handouts at the Shadowrun 101 seminars at Gencon and Origins for the last couple years. I never have time to attend the seminars, but I'm told that they tend to do pretty well.

The handouts are aimed at bother players and GMs.

IIRC I no longer have the source files for them, but they would be pretty easily re-created; maybe we could post them on ShadowrunRPG.com or use them as optional handouts at SR demos/SRM games/etc.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post May 15 2004, 05:41 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

I only see one problem.

If they can learn everything without buying the books... why buy the books?

I'd love to help, in the name of spreading the game, but I can't, in the name of supporting the game.

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 15 2004, 05:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Most groups have one set of books, and if they already have them the chances of the new guy buying any are pretty slim to begin with. Secondly, I think a handful of pages of quick reference sheet, which will probably reference the books anyways aren't a bad thing.

Something that gets players up and going in a short amount of time and then they can go back and read the books, buy them if they get that interested and need to, etc. are probably not going to keep anyone from buying any sourcebooks. A few pages overview of the mechanics to get someone comfortable with the system is hardly a replacement for a copy of the BBB.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 15 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

You can get a feel for the game and a grasp of the basic concepts from a sheet, but there's no way you can run a game from them. There's obviously no way you could fit everything in the core book onto a single (or even a few) sheet(s) of paper.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post May 15 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

White Wolf, at least when I started playing, had some 'quick start' rules on their website. They were heavily cut down but got me hooked and started my descent into regular roleplay.

I like the idea of cut down rules that would let you play a character but not enough to GM though; some pre-gen sheets and enough mechanics to play them maybe.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post May 15 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Adam)
We've been giving out quick Matrix, Magic, and Rigging 101 handouts at the Shadowrun 101 seminars at Gencon and Origins for the last couple years. I never have time to attend the seminars, but I'm told that they tend to do pretty well.

This handout would be aimed at people who haven't played Shadowrun. I've seen too many people who are discouraged by the sheer size of the BBB ("You expect me to read all that before playing?").

It's not a replacement for the core rules, but a quick overview of the setting and basic rules. Think of the d20 system, where the basic mechanic is "roll d20 + modifiers". Sure, you still need the books to play, but it helps to understand the fundamentals.

QUOTE (Adam)
IIRC I no longer have the source files for them, but they would be pretty easily re-created; maybe we could post them on ShadowrunRPG.com or use them as optional handouts at SR demos/SRM games/etc.

That's a very cool idea, Adam.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 15 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

This is a good idea to help lessen the pure fright that the SR rule system instills in those used to D20 systems.

+Quote Post
Fu-Man Chu
post May 17 2004, 05:25 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,667

I would like to suggest again a central location for these to be kept so that if people have "standard questions" they can be referred to the FAQ and then come back before asking the questions. That way, one doesn't have to search the exact wording to find it nor dig through many pages of posts. We can move the Matrix walkthrough and the Rigger walkthrough there when they have been completed.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post May 17 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #14

Not Cameron Diaz

Member No.: 188

QUOTE (Adam)

Adam: They're in the Tourney files. I'll also zip up the docs and the pdfs and email them to you, just in case you can't get to them. :)

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post May 17 2004, 01:26 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Starter Set:

3rd Edition Rules
SR Companion
Sprawl Survival Guide

All 3 go without saying.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post May 17 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Bring back the Quick Start Rules!

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 17 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (simonw2000)
Bring back the Quick Start Rules!

Unless I'm mistaken, the Quick Start Rules are still in stock.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 17 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

The SSG does not go without saying. Personally, I'd put Corporate Download above it; the information on how the corporations work helped the Shadowrun world attain cohesion in my mind rather a lot more than SSG would've.

~J

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post May 19 2004, 02:55 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

:nuyen: :nuyen: I'm doing my part..I'm doing a shadowrun demo in about 2 weeks at my local game store.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post May 19 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I'd say just the BBB and maybe the character creation rules from the CC.

I say maybe b/c I personaly think having to assimilate all the relevent stuff from the BBB is tough enough. Then you throw in another creation system (that arguably makes it look easier to Munch), edges and flaws, enemies, gouls, shifters, and metavariants. Oh my.

How could a first timer possibly decide and retain his sanity?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 19 2004, 03:38 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Character creation rules from the CC? "My character's an assault rifle with a conceal of 7!" ;)

~J

+Quote Post
DigitalMage
post May 20 2004, 05:10 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 340

I have a number of crib sheets (one for combat, one for magic and even a 4 pager for the Matrix (of which 2pages can be ignored if you never get into cybercombat, and 1 page is a list of common system ops)

I use them for my demos and think I may have sent them to Adam (or was it Rob Boyle) for putting on the website but had no reply.

Until I get the official word I won't distribute them for fear of copyright infringement.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 21 2004, 03:06 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

The SSG is absolutely essential as a starter book. I can't say it enough. Nothing introduces characters to the setting/flavor like the SSG. I only wish I had it when I first started.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 21 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I want to see those Matrix cheat sheets before I have to make my own ;) Really, all you need to know for a matrix run are what apps go to what operations, what types of operation each is, and some of the tables for Matrix combat. I just haven't compiled it into a few pages worth of stuff yet ;)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.