Wakshaani
post Apr 16 2016, 12:21 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,629

From here:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/180676...Digital-Box-Set

As usual, drop comments here or discussion. Also, I'll be gradually collecting errors and corrections as needed, so, if you spot problems, point 'em out so I can send 'em upstairs.

Until then, dig in!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 16 2016, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Infinite Shadows

It’s the shadowrunning capital of the world for a reason. Seattle offers an unparalleled intersection of corporate, political, and criminal powers. This is where icons are made—like the Ancients, the Halloweeners, the Finnigan Crime Family, the Skraacha, Dante’s Inferno, Renraku Arcology, the Big Rhino, and the Alabaster Maiden. And this is where runners like Dodger, Sally Tsung, Dirk Montgomery, Jake Armitage, Twist, Kellan Colt, and James Kincaid made their names, sometimes made their fortunes, and occasionally experienced horrible losses. This is where you go to test your mettle. This is how you show you’re at the top of the heap.

A sprawl this big can’t be contained in a single book, so we made a box. Inside you’ll find:

Emerald Shadows, a book outlining the geography of the sprawl and the notable powers and locations in each district;
Ruling the Queen City, a deeper examination of the power and history of Seattle, including a look at the people who rule over the city—and the people who control them;
Tangled Threads, holding plot hooks and adventures to help launch or continue your Seattle-based game;
Character cards, fully statted out cards of Seattle denizens that can be used as easy-reference NPCs of even pre-generated PCs;
Modular map cards, a deck of cards showing maps of different types of rooms that can be combined into a never-ender variety of buildings;
Gang reference card, providing a quick listing of gangs of the sprawl, their colors, and where they operate;
And a poster-sized map of Seattle like Shadowrun has never seen before.
All this will bring the sprawl to lifew while making it easier for players and gamemasters to dive into the shadowy depths that make Seattle legendary—and see if they can keep their head above water.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 16 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #3

Great, I'm a Dragon...

The content sounds great, but after all the lows in writing quality in SR5E.... my expactations are below 0 for this.

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Apr 16 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

Is the physical Seattle boxed set also hitting shelves now? If not, how much longer will that be?

+Quote Post
adamu
post Apr 17 2016, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Snakehandler

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,508

QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 16 2016, 08:14 AM) *
The content sounds great, but after all the lows in writing quality in SR5E.... my expactations are below 0 for this.

Well, I have grown cautious enough to wait for reviews.

This would normally be sort of a 'must-have' for me...but some specific questions for anyone that reviews it at all:

Emerald Shadows, a book outlining the geography of the sprawl and the notable powers and locations in each district
This is the element I am most interested in.
So how many pages?
More impotantly, how does the volume and specificity of location detail compare with the immortal benchmark set by Boy Petersen in the original Seattle Sourcebook?
I still use that, having been deeply disappointed by the massive scaleback in detail in New Seattle, and then a further scaleback in Runner Havens.
So if I liked the original Seattle Sourcebook, how much will I like this?

Ruling the Queen City, a deeper examination of the power and history of Seattle, including a look at the people who rule over the city—and the people who control them;
Is this going to be the usual formulaic suspects - insert name and race and if it's a pol or a corper then he's evil, if it's an oppressed meta journalist they're a hero and guess what mere mortal PCs should feel honored just to be awed and cowed by them?
Or are there going to be some nuanced, surprising individuals and stories we haven't heard before?

Modular map cards, a deck of cards showing maps of different types of rooms that can be combined into a never-ender variety of buildings;
and
And a poster-sized map of Seattle like Shadowrun has never seen before
Will either or both of these be in the digital edition, and if so, are they just pretty to look at on the screen, or will there be any functionality (edit, or maybe the ability to put the modular pieces together to form an image we could post in PbP)?

Thanks to anyone...

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 17 2016, 12:52 AM
Post #6

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Also, I'll be gradually collecting errors and corrections as needed, so, if you spot problems, point 'em out so I can send 'em upstairs.

What happened on this map? The location of the ACHE and the Aztech pyramid is to be found in the 1E core rulebook, and in several later maps and artwork. What happened there? I mean, the art as such is reasonably nice and all, though a bit incomplete for a map of the entire Seattle sprawl ... but what the hell? And what is the giant blob dome where Qwest Field used to be? Is that supposed to be the Omnidome?

More to come. I can say, though, that I'm kind of miffed there are no neighborhood guides, as Wak has promised. Were they cut? Great to see a good writeup of the Outremer islands, finally. The Ork Underground seems stumped too, though. Again, where are the neighborhoods? Where is the Ghost Gator? Huh?

All that based on a very fast skim with little to no time for SR relevant stuff these days.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Apr 17 2016, 03:35 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 16 2016, 06:52 PM) *
More to come. I can say, though, that I'm kind of miffed there are no neighborhood guides, as Wak has promised. Were they cut? Great to see a good writeup of the Outremer islands, finally. The Ork Underground seems stumped too, though. Again, where are the neighborhoods? Where is the Ghost Gator? Huh?

All that based on a very fast skim with little to no time for SR relevant stuff these days.

Not promised, but things I talked about for my dream project... which I later deleted once anotehr writer was, like, "Ahem." It could have caused confusion (And it seems that, in this case, it did! So they were right.) .... The Emerald book is 88 pages, and it does 5-7 pages of each neighborhood. My first pass on mys ections, I didn't have the format that was used on everything, so I had to do a turbo rewrite, then go back and redo my *other* section which wasn't quite finished. 'Twas a bit of a mess on my part, there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

But you can get a nice overview of each area in that book, while the other book handles the big fish.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 17 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

For those curious and playing from home, this is also where I snuck in the first mention of Fancy Derek.

Well, technically the second mention of Fancy Derek, if you count the initial typo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Apr 17 2016, 11:56 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

*closes eyes, hand to heart, head lowered*

Truly, he is an inspiration to us all.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Apr 17 2016, 11:56 PM
Post #10

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 16 2016, 07:52 PM) *
Where is the Ghost Gator? Huh?

I've been having a pretty crappy week, but this single line cheered me right up, since I loved creating the Ghost Gator for Missions (And love hearing stories about it terrorizing teams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).

And I really, really wish my depression & anxiety issues would let me write. I badly wanted to work on the Ork Underground stuff for this. I have a bunch of work I did a couple years ago, and I sent that off to Wak to use as he saw fit, but sadly I think space just became an issue.

Some day...

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Apr 18 2016, 04:03 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

I used it where I could, and where I didn't, I went out of my way to not step on your toes. That thing's huge and full of AWESOME, and I look forward to the day that you can wrap it up for publishing. Anything I can do to help brother, I got your back.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 19 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 17 2016, 02:13 AM) *

Haven't been able to find a picture of those, are we talking about classic dungeon tiles or really one room per card (which would somewhat restrict variance in room dimensions)

And a poster-sized map of Seattle like Shadowrun has never seen before
Will either or both of these be in the digital edition, and if so, are they just pretty to look at on the screen, or will there be any functionality (edit, or maybe the ability to put the modular pieces together to form an image we could post in PbP)?

Have been able to find a picture of that, did they just hide all markers there for a clearer image or is the actual map also blank?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 19 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #13

The King In Yellow

Haven't been able to find a picture of those, are we talking about classic dungeon tiles or really one room per card (which would somewhat restrict variance in room dimensions)

One room per card.

Have been able to find a picture of that, did they just hide all markers there for a clearer image or is the actual map also blank?

Aside from ferry routes, there's little in terms of Markers. Basis is a googlemaps shot or similar sattelite image. Downtown has drawn-up buildings on top of that (the misplaced Arcologies and a huge dome thing I suspect is supposed to be the Omnidome), the rest is a relatively simple googlemaps paintover. The image there is a downsized version of the original.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Apr 19 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #14

Keeper of the Timeline Maps

Member No.: 19,243

Wait a minute. As I am looking at the higher resolution version of the tumblr image: http://40.media.tumblr.com/354921a0d68b423...s9c9hj_1280.jpg the upper arcology -- the only one correctly placed -- is the Aztechnology pyramid, right? Because it kinda looks taller than the lower building.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 19 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 19 2016, 02:15 PM) *
One room per card.

Hm, might be helpful if the GM needs to whip up a random office hallway on the fly, because players took another turn than planned. But if all those cards can do is random uniform rooms, using them already tells players "your plot is around the other corner"...

Aside from ferry routes, there's little in terms of Markers. Basis is a googlemaps shot or similar sattelite image. Downtown has drawn-up buildings on top of that (the misplaced Arcologies and a huge dome thing I suspect is supposed to be the Omnidome), the rest is a relatively simple googlemaps paintover. The image there is a downsized version of the original.

Meh. They overdid the marker density in the 6WA North America map, now they scaled it back to zero, maybe next time they'll find a good compromise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And something awesome I just saw posted in the mothership forums: http://fizzygoo.com/Sr/Support/ACHE.jpg

+Quote Post
lokii
post Apr 19 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 19 2016, 05:25 PM) *
And something awesome I just saw posted in the mothership forums:
Mothership forums?

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 20 2016, 06:36 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (lokii @ Apr 19 2016, 08:13 PM) *
Mothership forums?

The official ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 20 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #18

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Will the box be released in phsyical form too?

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Apr 20 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Absolutely. That's kind of teh entire point of a boxed set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
lokii
post Apr 20 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #20

If you think about it, a digital box isn't very boxy at all.

I think I'm already over the map, after all the problems were known for a year. Though it would be hilarious if the Aztechnology arcology has also been misplaced. But I would like to know, what exactly is the huge dome?

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Apr 20 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

I'm still waiting for small reviews. IN particula,r teh city sections. There's some neat stuff tucked in there.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 20 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #22

The King In Yellow

Indeed, and once I find the time I'll write one. However, one of your authors is not aware that Fuchi has been dead, ingame - and out of game - for 15 years now. Please fill them in. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Sascha Morlok
post Apr 20 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 200,271

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 20 2016, 08:18 PM) *
Indeed, and once I find the time I'll write one. However, one of your authors is not aware that Fuchi has been dead, ingame - and out of game - for 15 years now. Please fill them in. Thanks.

Again?

BTW: Still waiting for Saeder-Krupp review (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 20 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #24

The King In Yellow

Yes, again. The Auburn chapter, IIRC (it was a late night, could not sleep, kind of read, so I might be a bit off).

Sorry, not a bunch of time and a couple crazy (not the good kind) developments in my RL. It WILL come, but it may be some weeks.

+Quote Post
Sascha Morlok
post Apr 20 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 200,271

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 20 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Yes, again. The Auburn chapter, IIRC (it was a late night, could not sleep, kind of read, so I might be a bit off).

Well, ok there are several parts of Fuchi that still survived (I'm looking at you, Fuchi Telecomm), or where acquired by other corporations. But the fact that NeoNET "owns" Fuchi Industrial Electronics, as depicted by Market Panic, is just wrong. And even if Fuchi in one form or another still exists (owned by another Mega, but probably not NeoNET), it wouldn't be more then a letterbox company.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.