> Movement..., How far can you go?
Larsenex
post May 17 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 200,359

Here are the parameters!

Spirit materializes 60 feet away from Troll. Spirit is beast spirit and is force 8.

Giant troll, with combat axe, Run skill of 4. Body 14. Agility of 5, Str of 14.

Distance between targets is 60 when both see each other or the troll sees Spirit.

Initiative rolls are: Troll 31, Spirit 18.

Troll wants to choppy choppy on spirit. I get he gets to go first. So the rules are NOT clear on how this works. From what I gather he moves his base movement but it does not tell me what the actions are. So he SPRINTS to the spirit, he rolls his Run skill+ Agility and the number of successes is the feet added to his base move. He can sprint two times per combat turn. How many feet can he travel on his first action, his second action?

For example he can 'walk' 10 feet, then at 11 feet he is running. He can RUN 20 feet. Is that 20 feet MORE or his total distance is now 20 feet BEFORE he is sprinting? At what point is he declaring actions and cannot move anymore?

Please help, this kinda dwindled down to well the rules say I can move a mile in one action if I roll high enough kinda argument.

Whats the deal?

If you need more parameters I can provide. This situation has NOT come up but the troll and I were discussing just this very scenario and its really unclear on how far you can go and what actions need to be done.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MrGlee
post May 17 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 75,592

20 is the total movement before moving. You can split up your movement over the course of a combat turn. Walking is no action, running is a free action.
Speed is based off of agility and metatype.
Speed is the amount you can move in a combat turn.

+Quote Post
Larsenex
post May 17 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #3

Target

Thanks, I got this after re reading it about five times. The Troll can move 20. AFTER 20' he would need to declare he is sprinting which i s a complex action, roll his sprint and add 1 meter of distance after his twenty per success (Running+STR). This distance he can move on the first action. He moves that distance on that action. Then on the next action he an do another sprint test, (His running is 6 so he gets 3 sprints per combat turn). He rolls and can move this amount in meters per success. Then on his net action (assuming he has at least 3) he can do ANOTHER sprint test and move that amount in meters per success.

Upon entering melee range he is considered charging. If it did not get into range, tough luck for him, better have a gun....

+Quote Post
Beta
post May 18 2016, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 190,206

You've got it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Except that everything is measured in metres, not feet!

+Quote Post
Mantis
post May 18 2016, 04:04 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

For extra fun, many spirits have the movement power which lets them multiply or divide the movement rate by their force. So a force 6 spirit could either increase its own movement by 6 times or decrease an enemy's movement by the same.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 18 2016, 04:46 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Mantis @ May 18 2016, 12:04 AM) *
For extra fun, many spirits have the movement power which lets them multiply or divide the movement rate by their force. So a force 6 spirit could either increase its own movement by 6 times or decrease an enemy's movement by the same.

With a limit based on the Body of whatever the thing is, blah blah blah, you can get a bicycle up to like Mach 2 without too much trouble.

+Quote Post
Larsenex
post May 19 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (Betx @ May 18 2016, 01:49 AM) *
You've got it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Except that everything is measured in metres, not feet!

^^^ which leads me to ask..If you are going to use a game mat with 1" squares ..what scale would you use? Would you use each square as 1 meter? 3 meters? or more?

This is just so I can 'roughly draw' out building outlines, some cover and relative distances (just for this reason!!)....

I use erasable markers and different colors to mark folks initial positions and movement.

What scale?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 19 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Larsenex @ May 19 2016, 12:24 PM) *
^^^ which leads me to ask..If you are going to use a game mat with 1" squares ..what scale would you use? Would you use each square as 1 meter? 3 meters? or more?

This is just so I can 'roughly draw' out building outlines, some cover and relative distances (just for this reason!!)....

I use erasable markers and different colors to mark folks initial positions and movement.

What scale?

1" = 2 Meters works well for us... This is our Standard.
Occasionally, on large scale engagements, we go to 1" = 5 Meters.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post May 21 2016, 06:01 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

1 " is 2 Meters and if you want to engage in HTH Combat you have to enter the same square. Adjacant Hexes/Squares count as Point Blank but not yet as melee combat. (except Trolls or Weapons with Reach)
that is my default scale

we use either a rollable Battlemap and Markers or I also have an oldschool 90's Board and Leadminiatures (both Shadowrun, Sci Fi and Fantasy Minis )

with a close Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post May 26 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

Movement related question: I know you can divide up movement between passes as you want, but what if you run out of passes? Say, if you move up to somewhere, get hosed by MG fire and decide to do a full defense, then you can't move back away from the fire because your initiative is suddenly 0 or less? Or can you plan movement between passes as in SR4?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 26 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

By the way the rules are written, no. But most people agree that the written segmentation of movement in SR4 is stupid.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post May 26 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 26 2016, 11:40 AM) *
By the way the rules are written, no. But most people agree that the written segmentation of movement in SR4 is stupid.

where Do you get that Info from ? How can you know what most People agree on ???

I rather think that most People agree that the 5th Ed Movement rules are even dumber than the ones from 4A....

HokaHey
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 26 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

The idea that someone with four passes can only run N/4 meters a pass, whereas the guy with 1 pass can run N meters, and then wait three passes, is silly.

Imagine for a moment, a 20 meter sprint race:

The first guy gets off the mark and sprints 6.25 meters down the track.
The second guy acts slower and runs a full 24 meters, winning the race (he's also 1 meter/round slower in total movement!).
The first guy goes again, moves 6.25 meters.
The first guy goes again, moves 6.25 meters, gets silver.

Now imagine a 30 meter sprint race:

The first guy gets off the mark and sprints 6.25 meters down the track.
The second guy acts slower and runs a full 24 meters.
Next round:
The first guy goes again, moves 6.25 meters, winning the race.
The second guy acts slower and runs a full 24 meters, getting silver.

That said, forcing everyone to act in 4 passes just to move, every round, all the time is annoying. But if someone moves half their move, then gets hit with spray-and-pray, absolutely they should get a chance to move out of the way rather than having to stand there like an idiot.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post May 26 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

The idea that someone with four passes can only run N/4 meters a pass, whereas the guy with 1 pass can run N meters, and then wait three passes, is silly.

it is silly
and it is NOT the Movementrules of SR4A
once again :
You divide the Movement by the Number of passes per Round and everyone moves at EACH pass, even if he has less.
so in this Example Guy A has 4 Passes and Guy B only has 1 .
Guys A & B move at Each and every pass a quarter of their Movement , even if B can act only at Pass 1.
There is 4 Inipasses, so everybody moves each pass a Quarter.
if there is only 3 Passes than each and everyone moves 1/3 of their Movement
Movement is independatn from beeing able to Act

You made 2 extensive Lines of how the Rules do NOT Work !

HougH!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post May 27 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Medicineman @ May 26 2016, 10:51 PM) *
it is silly
once again :
You divide the Movement by the Number of passes per Round and everyone moves at EACH pass, even if he has less.
so in this Example Guy A has 4 Passes and Guy B only has 1 .
Guys A & B move at Each and every pass a quarter of their Movement , even if B can act only at Pass 1.
There is 4 Inipasses, so everybody moves each pass a Quarter.
if there is only 3 Passes than each and everyone moves 1/3 of their Movement
Movement is independatn from beeing able to Act

You made 2 extensive Lines of how the Rules do NOT Work !

HougH!
Medicineman

It makes more sense, but also makes melee combat completely useless, as anyone with a gun can shoot you 4 times before you can get into range. The exception is of couse if everyone is within a few meters of each other, but that is fairly rare.

One thing I like about SR5 is just that they made melee combat somewhat viable again.

Now the SR5 movement rules you can choose to divide up your movement, but can you save some for subsequent passes where you technically can't act anymore?

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post May 27 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

It makes more sense, but also makes melee combat completely useless, as anyone with a gun can shoot you 4 times before you can get into range.

than thats tough Luck
because if someone is 50 Meters away (thats 150 of Your Feet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and he runs towards me I'm sure I can shoot him several times and anybody who has ever used a gun knows that you can shoot a couple of Times before the Runner is in close combat.
IF you make a Melee Fighter make sure that you can reach your target and don't hope for unrealistic Rules to bend (Ingame)reality in favor to your Char !

Hough!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 27 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #17

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ May 27 2016, 01:15 PM) *
... but also makes melee combat completely useless, as anyone with a gun can shoot you 4 times before you can get into range.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. *shrug*

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tytiJ6AJmos/maxresdefault.jpg

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 27 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Medicineman @ May 26 2016, 04:51 PM) *
it is silly

I've been out of SR for too long and my memory has gotten fuzzy.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post May 27 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

No Prob Chummer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I fully understand that .
sometimes I mix up Rules from SR4A and SR5 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

with a mixed up Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.