> Run!, Stormy Waters IC Sub Thread
Aria
post Jun 11 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

Late Spring 2076?, Early Evening; Somewhere

Aria ducked spritely into the treeline away from the group clustered on the rocks below. Pine needles crackled underfoot, bone dry and smelling of dust. The absence of insects or birdsong was eerie, only the wind providing a counterpoint to the complaining voices below her. She wiped the sweat off her forehead, it was hot, even in the shade of the trees…but that was probably just as well, assuming the night time temperature didn’t plummet too much perhaps they might not die from exposure given that all they were wearing were cheap flats.

The sky was full of odd striations of colour, as if the overly large sun peered down at them through a mantle of metallic dust…

Looking back she could see that the group of kids had already begun to divide themselves into cliques…it was an inevitable part of teenage life she supposed, grouping yourself with like-minded peers, getting tribal…she wasn’t sure how long it would be until they devolved into a Lord of the Flies mob but already she could see that the crate of rations had been broken open and there was squabbling over the contents.

The divisions were more or less along social rather than racial lines...they may all be wearing identical flats but haircuts, posture and voice all betrayed who came from wealth and plenty and who had had to struggle for every breath. That wasn't to say there weren't any other tensions, the whole group looked ready to go to war with each other and they'd only apparently been here a day...

A noise ahead of her made her pause and she ducked down beside a rough sandstone boulder. Voices floated down to her, one plaintive, verging on panic and another full of rough malicious laughter. Peering round she could see that two boys had cornered one of the girls and a quiet chat wasn't what they had in mind. Her flats were ripped and she was desperately trying to cover her scrawny chest whilst fending them off...

Another boy, a burly orc with gang tats swooped down on the group and before they could react delivered a sickening blow to the side of one of their heads and almost wrenched the other boy's arm out of its socket as he dragged him off the girl

"Show some fragging respect you ignorant fucks!"

Aria ducked away before she could be seen and dragged into their confrontation...she had a feeling that scenes like this might become all too common unless someone could step forward and unite them in some way...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raiderj
post Jun 11 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 199,988

"Nice one!" Vincent said aloud as the orc took down the two boys. The orc looked at him and shrugged and went to the girl. "Hey miss are you alright?" She covered up and stared Vincent down. He didn't seem to care. Vincent was the only one smiling. "Man this is a weird dream." He looked around and saw all the different people. He heard the Dragonslayer... grated for some reason but clear enough. "Kid... this isn't a dream." Vincent immedately looked around wide eyed. "Uh oh..." He ran around the campsite generally ignored by the others except for a few who were sizing him up.

+Quote Post
Mercy
post Jun 12 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 200,310

Maya takes a good look around, not particularly concerned by the terrain, but it was, after all, different from where she had been a few minutes ago. The crates with food were already broken into and there seemed to be some disagreement over who should get what. Fully aware of her own social shortcomings, she goes to stand near one of the boys that seems to at least have some of the others listening to him and tries to talk to him, but is shunted away after one look at her horribly disfigured face. Three more tries with different small groups netted the same rather unsurprising and completely expected result, as being completely unable to get others to listen to her suggestions is a common occurrence for Maya. Undaunted, she goes to the first crate and looks about for anything useful, smiling when she sees the bundles of twine that had held the packets of rations together. She kneels to gather as much as she can then pulls free one of the slats forming the crate that has a sharp edge from where it was smashed in. Standing, she looks about again and takes stock of the people around her. Most seem to range in age from the middle teens, but a few are younger and a few older, like herself. She can hear several languages being spoken and recognizes all of them, so far. Several of the younger kids, three girls and two boys, have somewhat isolated themselves off to one side, just waiting for some miracle to happen. Girding her resolve to try again, Maya walks over to this group and, speaking in English, says, "Hello. My name is Maya. Something strange has happened. I think we might be here for a bit and am going to build a shelter. Would you like to help? I will let you stay in it and keep warm tonight if you help."

Three of the children nod and stand but the other two look at her like she is the monster she sometimes looks like. One replies in French that he and the other girl do not speak English. Maya smiles and repeats her statement in French and the pair smiles and stand to join her. Maya takes them a short distance from the large clearing and into the woods towards where she can hear a small stream. Homing in on the noise, Maya and the rest find the source of fresh water and race to it before Maya brings all of them up short. She warns them that the forest might not be friendly and that predators might be near. She shows the small group what she is looking for splits them into a group of three and another of two. Soon the kids are bringing her sticks and wood from the ground and vines that they cut with the sharp board. Using the vines and the twine from the crates, Maya and the others fashion a small but sturdy shelter in the treeline. It is her hope that others will see her doing this and want to have shelters as well and she will try to show them what to look for. Her tactic is successful as soon several other kids show up and want to make shelters. Some have some outdoor skill , but many do not and the quality of work is evidence of this. Unfortunately, a few of the older kids would rather just take a shelter than make one and Maya sees four larger boys oust some people from a shelter and just sit about laughing at the rest. Maya goes to them and says, "Please, these people worked hard to build this and it is not right for you to just take it."

The four toughs laugh and one, obviously the leader, says, "Ooh, so the crybabies seem to have a friend. Why don't you just go of and hide that ugly lo................"

He does not finish the sentence as Maya interrupts him by tossing the handful of pebbles in her hand into his face. The boy's hands rise in reflex and are completely out of position to prevent her kick from connecting with his sternum. He gives a strangled cry and falls back, only to have Maya follow up by straddling him and grabbing his balls through the thin fabric. She squeezes none too gently and the boy screams in pain. "Now, let's try this again, shall we? Ah ah, You three stay where you are if you want your pal to keep his rocks in their sack. And you will be a good boy and move on. I can show you what I need from the surrounding area and we can work together on building a shelter for you, but there will be no more just being lazy and taking what you want. It is going to get cool, maybe even cold, here at night and we will need to be able to make a fire and find food. Some of the lazy bastards among us have gone and made sure that they were fed without thinking that we might need the food for a while. So, which is it to be? Are you going to tell your lot to be the helpers rr are you going to scream in agony as I squeeze harder?

The almost panicked boy does not waste any time thinking and nods. "Yeah. OK. Anything you say, just don't squeeze again."

Maya gets off the boy and stands up, looking warily at him and his friends. The boy stands and rubs his groin as he says, "You don't fight very fair. Guess I had you wrong. OK, show us what you need and we will go look for some of it."

Maya looks out over the clearing and shakes her head. There are far more people doing nothing or arguing than have joined her little band. She walks about the small group of shelters, helping where she needs to, but her mind is already on thinking of a way to answer the next needs: water, food, clothing, and fire. Water is not too far away but they have nothing to carry it in at the moment. She has seen some berries in the woods and sent the original five kids out to gather them and there is a growing pile guarded by her new best friend, the former bully. Surprisingly, he and his friends are proving to be an asset by watching over the small band. Maya is already considering that perhaps there is a better place to set up something more permanent, but that will need to wait until tomorrow. For now, at least some of the people are working productively on surviving.

+Quote Post
Beta
post Jun 13 2016, 02:48 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 190,206

At first Addie thinks there must have been an accident, and she was knocked out and lost some memories. Then she realizes there is no bus, no plane, no signs of injuries.

Then she thinks that her mother's worries were right, that getting implants of vaFeerious sorts so young might have messed with her brain, and she's had some kind of black out. Did she re-join scouting, is this some sort of trip? But where is their gear? Where are the leaders?

Feeling a rising tide of panic, she asks her commlink for their location, but it indicates that there is no matrix connections available to provide that data. She knows she should be asking it to look for any other devices around, maybe there is a computer with more info or something, but she isn't sure that she wants to know the answer just yet.

There are more immediate concerns. A lot of the kids are scooping up and devouring rations. Food is important, but water more-so, she knows that much, so she goes looking for something to drink, scanning the group for any familiar faces, and with some dread finally asking her commlink for the current time and date.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jun 13 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Dragon

@Vincent

“Oi!” it’s the girl from the trees… she’s tied the sleeves of the shapeless jumpsuit up behind her as a crude halter neck leaving her skinny arms bare “You didn’t see anything, right? Say anything and I’ll fragging kill you, got it?” and without waiting for a response she has swept off, holding her head high, to join the gaggle forming around one of the older boys who is sitting listening wryly to one of the others spouting on about getting organised…

@Maya

The shelters are coming along, despite the sparse building materials and the even worse tools at your disposal. You’ve never had much luck with people before, they just don’t seem to warm to you, but clearly the exceptional conditions you find yourself in are countering that, and possibly because most of the kids here are younger than yourself and willingly looking for some guidance.

You feel a presence behind you and turning, and looking up, and then up again, you see an imposing orc with gang tats looking impassively down at you

“I saw what you did to that boy…it was stupid! I can see you know what you are doing and you can handle yourself, but be careful who you pick a fight with. Things are going to get worse around here before they get better, don’t draw attention you don’t want!”

@ Addie

As you search out some water you are drawn away from the larger group off towards the trees. You hear it before you see it and are gratified to find the small stream bubbling away through the rocks, it certainly looks cleaner than most open water you are used to seeing…

A whoop comes from ahead of you and two kids splash back towards the main group carrying another crate…from the brief glimpse you get it seems this one might have tools in it, possibly even weapons…

+Quote Post
Mercy
post Jun 13 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Runner

Maya takes the full measure of the large Ork. She nods and vaguely waves a hand at her face. "Yes. You are, of course, quite correct. A face like yours inspires people to obey you, while I have found out many times that a face like mine only really inspires derision. At this stage in what we are doing, I felt it necessary that we not allow them to run roughshod over us and that we would stand up for ourselves." She looks at the Ork's tats, not really understanding what they mean and puts out a hand. "Thank you for your kind words. My name is Maya and we could sure use all the help we can get. I do not understand what is happening, but I feel we are part of some experiment and wish to survive it. You could help and we could help you." While she is waiting for an answer, there is a commotion in the clearing as two boys bring another crate from the woods. Maya turns to the Ork. "I would like to secure some of the food in that crate for those camping here. Would you come with me and help?"

+Quote Post
irn0rchid
post Jun 13 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 200,422

Waking quickly, Lindsey immediatly realizes something is very wrong. The eggcrate foam she was used to sleeping on was gone and replaced by something somewhat harder, but definitly not 'crete. Cracking her eyes open she has to surpress a gasp at the openness around her. Jumping to her feet, she looks around deperatly, unsure of what she's searching for, but certainly not finding it in the rocky surrounds or the oddly colored sky. Eventually latching on to the scant shadows of the treeline, she jerks that way but then is pulled up short by the voice of Eris in her head, "Calm down. There's opportunity here..."

Taking a deep breath, she forces herself to relax and take in her new surroundings. Surrounded by numerous other children of various ages she sees she's obviously not alone in her confusion. Kids are sitting on the rocks staring around but not seeing anything, some seem to be wandering aimlessly kicking at the dirt. Of the ones that seemed to be coping best, about half were talking in various groups while the others were crowded around some crates further down the stony slope. Squinting her eyes in that certain way Eris taught her it seems harder for some reason and she is almost startled back to her normal vision by the twisting of the colors around her, similar to the oddness with the sky. Looking around she see the expected range of emotions, from terror to excitement and sadness to elation, although they're definitely trending towards the negative end. Somewhat heartened by the familiar 'landscape', even if it seems subtly off, she unfurrows her brow and tries to decide what to do.

With a low growl, her stomach informs her of where her priorities should be and she starts off for the kids milling around the crates. Not ready to interact with anyone until she has a better idea of what's going on, she gives the others between her and her target wide berths. Approaching the group she starts to hear the babble of conversation that she didn't realize she'd been feeling the absence of. Taking advantage of her relatively small size, she ducks into gaps in the crowd, grabbing what she can. Shoving anything that's already been opened into her mouth while pocketing items that remain sealed, she listens to the common threads of confusion and puzzlement going on around her.

Pockets and belly full, she starts stepping away just as one of the older children starts speaking loudly about saving food and supplies for later and sharing it out as needed. As others in the group start to stop and listen, she smiles to herself that she was able to take care of herself before it became an issue. Not everyone is paying heed though and a trio of what appear to be natural born orks are continuing to eat. As the rest of the group becomes increasingly obviously agitated at the orks, Lindsey can hear from their confused talk amongst themselves that they barely speak any English at all and aren't sure what the problem is. Seizing the opportunity to start establishing her status, she says loudly in Or'zet, "Oi, chummers! They want to save some of this for later in case there isn't anymore. Better hungry now than dead later, no?" Suddenly, everyone is staring at her...

+Quote Post
Raiderj
post Jun 13 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

"...What did I see?" Vincent thought to himself perplexed. "Magic feels weird here kid. Maybe its just me. Best be careful. First we need to figure out who is in charge. Most likely gonna be factioned quickly. Maybe investigate a bit. In the meantime try to keep your damn blood from boiling! I know this is adventure but this is serious!" Vincent nodded. "Yosh! Be serious... serious... uh..." Vincent picked out Aria in the crowd and stood beside her. "This kid seems like a good person to team up with for now. We both had the same idea about staying outside the major crowds... I think..." Vincent thought to himself. He tapped her shoulder.

+Quote Post
Beta
post Jun 13 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Addie could hear her Grandmother in full, dry, lawyer voice “You say you spent a couple of weeks doing wilderness camping with your scout group, but it never occurred to you that a stream would not come pre-stocked with water bottles for carrying away the water?” Cringing, she kneels down and scoops up what water she can in one hand, when she is distracted by a couple of kids splashing upstream “Dre – Dingleberries! I didn’t think to check up-stream for contamination, either.

Then she notices what the kids are carrying just as she feels the water trickling through her fingers, and somehow it all seems to trigger something. For a moment it feels like the world is rushing in on her from all sides. When she catches her balance again, the whole situation finally feels real.

C’mon, I may be ‘Addison the least,’ but at least I’m an Addison,” she coaches herself quietly, not without substantial wryness in her voice. “There are people you can help, a situation you can make better, and most of all – there are standards to be met.

She switches to thinking, so as not to attract attention while she gets herself pulled together. “Food – I can probably eat whatever others have dropped, at worst—that can wait. Water, I should drink my fill while I’m hear so that I don’t have to worry about it for a while. The group, well, I’m sure stuff is happening, but hopefully things won’t get too serious just yet, although whatever those kids found might start bringing about ‘might makes right’ pretty quickly. Too bad I didn’t take fencing instead of Judo – but nah, then I would never have met Eric. If they found something, there could be more – kids that age are probably too excited by having found a prize to think to search more, I could go do that before everyone else comes clomping around.

She quickly finishes drinking, splashes some water on her face, hair, and arms to keep herself cooler, then heads off in the direction that the kids seemed to have come from. She has no idea of how she would track them, but she slows down and looks around, including behind rocks and trees. “Give it half an hour – my link should be good for setting an alarm, at least, then I’d best head back. And pay attention to where I’m going, no good getting separated from the group!

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
adamu
post Jun 13 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #10

Snakehandler

Member No.: 8,508

Raf had spent the whole day concealed high up in a tree. The scraggly pine needles smelled wonderful, but stabbed at him relentlessly through the vending-machine flats in which he'd awakened here.

He'd been one of the first to open their eyes, there on the rocky ground surrounded by other youth in the same disposable attire. He'd seen the crate and stuffed his pockets with a few packets of rations, doing a quick headcount and inventory to ensure he didn't take more than his fair share. Then he'd retreated to the hide he now occupied. Personality evaluations, a SWOT assessment, there had been a lot to think about. He'd been thinking all day. And watching.

Once he was settled with an immediate supply of food and a modicum and concealment and shelter - and only then - did he allow his mind to contemplate the surreal enormity of his current situation. He quickly noticed the first signs of panic and defused them as he'd been taught - through rigorous logical analysis.

Dichotomies - his favorite reductive tool.

He was either dreaming or he wasn't.

If he was dreaming, then the best course was to use the unprecedented realism of the night-vision as an opportunity to role-play an outstanding performance. And if he was dreaming, the outcome was irrelevant to his reality. As such, his focus must be on the other possibility.

For if he was not dreaming, then his very survival depended on each decision made and action taken. Unable to empirically determine which it was, and with one option consequence-free and the other a mortal crisis, logic dictated he treat the current situation as real.

That determination took him about five seconds, and after that he remained very calm.

He observed the others. There was a wide gamut of social and cultural backgrounds, a fairly wide age range - all appeared to be post-pubescent but pre-adult, but given the pace of human development in the teen years, that meant a broad range of physical and mental capacities. He noted under Weaknesses on his mental SWOT diagram that he was among the youngest and smallest. He then added the high likelihood of being underestimated under Strengths.

He knew he could not stay in the tree forever. While prudent for now, the right choice superseded the most efficient (although he was still young enough to believe the two were always one and the same). As such, there would be others that needed his assistance. Indeed, there were not a few instances when he was about to jump down from his perch to intercede on behalf of some hapless girl or another, but so far someone of honor and manners had always been closer, and he noted them carefully, though mindful their motives might not be pure.

For now, however, he could be of little help to anyone without a more thorough understanding of the imperatives at hand. And so he watched and considered.

He checked the azimuth of the sun as best he could without a true north-south reference. The moon was not presently visible. The flora and terrain most suggested North America or Central Asia, and he wished his botany was good enough to determine which. He would investigate more carefully as he created opportunity.

He tried to find some commonality among the other youth, but aside from the limited age range, he found nothing but a predominance of individuals with at least a working knowledge of English. But that meant little given the language's global predominance.

Most of all, still operating under the assumption that this was a real experience, he considered what had happened.

Per his training, he dismissed no thought no matter how unlikely without thorough examination.

He decided that this was something that was done to them. It was no accident. There was design in it, as evidenced by the commonality of the attire, and the provision of supplies. The means of accomplishing it may have been mundane or magical, but this was no spontaneous Sixth World phenomenon.

Based on that premise, he realized that whoever had done this was possessed of Triple A-level resources. Even if their number were comprised of homeless and forgotten unfortunates, as many seemed to be, the logistics of transporting them from so many different locations (as evidenced by the polyglot) to this one remote spot, and all with no knowledge of how they came to be here (easily observed through the amalgam of reactions and interchanges), was staggering. Add to that the fact that they were not, in fact, all forgotten street urchins, but clearly included a good proportion of apparently well nourished and educated young people certain to be at least reasonably well protected, if not blanketed in layers of personal security as he himself had been, and the undertaking was truly mammoth.

As such, whatever had been done was not only carried out by a party of tremendous resources, but also was of some comparable value to said party. Unfortunately, both corporate and individual motivations were myriad, and the fact of value to one party was not always recognizable as such to another. Determination of motive, therefore, would have to await further data.

But whoever had done this wanted them here, and wanted them alive, at least for a while.

But almost certainly not indefinitely. This was an inescapable conclusion. Whatever they were here for, it was either intended that some eventually survive, and thus inevitably return to their normal lives, or not. As any return of any of the non-indigent youth would be a legal and/or reputational threat to the perpetrators of this event, it should be assumed that none were intended to ultimately survive.

And on the topic of surviving, the sun was finally weakening but had left him hot through the day. He needed water. The stream he'd spied nearby was - of course - where many had congregated. It would now be necessary to interact.

An older Japanese girl with scar tissue on her face had demonstrated both leadership, personal skill, and, most important, a concern for the weak. She had just had a conversation with one of the gentlemen - a tattooed ork of some stature - who had earlier saved him a trip down from his tree. Not wanting any wasteful conflict with those that might mistake his small stature for weakness, he thought the vicinity of their camp would be the best place to approach the stream, and he made his way to the water, head up, stride purposeful, but making eye contact with no one yet.

+Quote Post
Mercy
post Jun 14 2016, 06:20 AM
Post #11

Runner

Maya heads off to where the new crate is being pawed over, hoping to get some food for the small band of people that she is helping. The large Ork follows, but she is not sure if he is coming for himself or because she asked. She pretty much assumes the former since she has never really been a whiz at getting people to do as she asks. It is quite likely that those in her camp are doing what she asks because they are still in shock and no one else has raised his or hand to be the leader. She expects that to change within a couple of days as things settle down.

As Maya and the Ork move through the crowd, she begins to hear the usual comments about her face. In some cultures, being scarred by a huge tiger and living to tell about it would be considered heroic, and she has found that to be the case when she is among indigenous peoples in some jungle or desert, but in civilization, such scars only mean that she is coyote ugly. And yes, she knows what the term means....................one of the very few boys to bed her told her exactly what it means in the morning as he was dressing. Actually, it had been the last boy to bed her. as she was not willing to go through that humiliation again just for someone else's amusement.

She rather imagines that she would still be standing on the outside of the crowd looking at everyone's back except for the Ork, whose mere presence seems to open a passage for them. Once at the crate she looks about, hoping that some bit of the foodstuffs could be parceled out to her for her band.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jun 14 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Day Zero - Evening - Unable to Establish Location
Personality: Blank

Where he is is a secondary concern. His first priority upon regaining consciousness is to conduct a self-analysis for injury. He remains still for two whole minutes without the aid of his bio-engineered tremor reducer. To trigger the flood of glycene and gamma-aminobutyric acid to his metabotropic and ionotropic nerve receptors could cause an adverse reaction should he be as damaged physically as his last moments of consciousness lead him to suspect. By the same token he does not want to trigger the chemicals that will allow nocioception as relaxing his pain editor may do the same. It also might lead him to go into shock, should he be hurt to the point where the pain overwhelms him. While pain can be educational in the immediate moment, he has been conditioned to first assess based on other factors. Factors like the sound of his own heartbeat, or of various other fluid transfer functions. Thanks to his enhanced hearing and a good deal of time spent in sensory deprivation being conditioned to understand his own body, he is able to deduce that things seem to be functioning well. This is an anomaly that takes a few moments to process. He is in unfamiliar territory, has been stripped of his clothing and various elements of high school life, and he has been given time to heal. Without intervention weeks will have passed. A medically induced coma would explain the loss of memory.

Directives swim up from the depths of his mind when he has established that he is not in immediate physical harm. He eases off on the pain editor in order to better take in his surroundings, and as he processes his directives he stands.

Survive. Establish communications. Report his failure.

Three edicts drilled into him by his handler should he find himself off mission, and in unknown territory. This has never happened to Blank before. He has always had his cover personalities removed in a de-briefing room. In two years of field operations he has never failed on such a level before. He remains calm, however. He has not been left without training for such a moment as this. He conducts a field analysis of the area, and only then does he take conscious notice of the fact he is not alone. Vague memories of the men who trained him explaining life in prison come to mind. Rules to be followed when in such a situation. The men who trained him had a code. They spoke of the return to old blood ties. He did not fully understand. The rules he does understand, however, he does not think apply so much here. There are no thieves in law here. Simply children. Scared children. The fact they show fear betrays them. He will show no emotion.

He does not mingle with the other kids at first. The fact that he is larger than even most of the orcs around is enough that they give him a large wake. He simply walks a perimeter around the site where they seem to have all been deposited. His pace his measured and tireless. He knows well that he can survive without water for days and weeks without food. Shelter will become more pressing should the night grow cooler than it is now. In such a case as this he will seek a natural cavern. He walks the perimeter and he studies, both his surroundings and his fellow displaced souls. For the first few hours he simply watches the groups form, and the industrious among them scramble to build a new society. To remain static is to resign oneself to the situation. It serves the institution that brought them here. He will serve no master save the organization.

After several hours he sees what appears to be a large gathering forming. A bounty has been found. Resources no doubt to be squandered by children.

Blank moves with purpose. Not rapidly, but directly toward the gathering. He runs a target analysis as he approaches, and maximizes his vectors to keep the bulk of the group handling the crate between himself and scarred girl and her ork associate who have yet to descend upon the scene. Blank knows well that he looks older than his years. He knows it is the product of his maker doing something to age him rapidly. This is no doubt lost on the others. He approaches the boys with the crate, and waits for them to spot his looming shadow. He takes a moment to lean down and pick up a rather large rock before he issues a command in a deadpan calm.

`Run.`

One simple word. A warning. He is not here to harm the weak, but they will broker no remorse from him either.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jun 14 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #13

Dragon

@Lindsey

The sudden silence is a little uncomfortable until a laughing voice cuts through the group…another orc, but this one is smaller than some of his kin…he has wild hair and dark intense eyes and you realise he has made himself the centre of this particular group…probably the largest that has formed so far. Difficult to peg his upbringing but you suspect it wasn’t in a comfortable corp existence

“So, ken, you talk well! Cummere, I’ll let you talk for me!”

@Vincent

The young girl, and that’s saying something, looks up at you and smiles…it’s almost radiant and you congratulate on your good sense to team up with her…nobody would want to hurt anyone this innocent, right?

“Hi, I’m Aria, what’s your name?”

@Maya & Raf

The kids with the crate are exulting in their find, especially once they discover that there are indeed tools inside, although no foodstuffs… the hulking figure that looms over them threateningly causes them to drop the crate, its contents spilling across the rocky ground… a couple of utility knives, a saw, mallet…

@Blank

As anticipated the pair drop the crate and back away, dismayed to see their booty spread across the ground but clearly not ready to confront someone like yourself…

@ Addie

There! You knew if you persevered you’d find something! The crate is small, more of a box, and judging by the markings on the side it contains medical supplies! Before you can lunge for it however you hear a sound that chills you to the core… the distinctive rattle and hiss of some sort of rock viper…!

+Quote Post
Raiderj
post Jun 14 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

"Hey... wanna team up? I need to get back home. I have an idea how but its a bit complicated and I need a partner to help sort it out." Vincent boldly said. One older kid looked at him. "What? Do you even know where you are?" Vincent sighed. "I didn't say it was a perfect plan but if attempts aren't made we lose."

+Quote Post
adamu
post Jun 14 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #15

Snakehandler

Raf was thirsty. And he was two steps from the stream. But it would have to wait.

Practical considerations - and there were many - aside, this could not stand.

The offender was quite large, easily the largest of their number. His presentation was deliberately menacing.

A confrontation could mean death. Or injury, which in the current circumstance was merely a slower version of the former.

But that could not be allowed to matter. Someone had to step up first, and immediately.

He jogged up toward the big boy's flank. The fellow was head and shoulders taller.

"Hullo!" He presented himself, pausing to make sure he was seen, that he had the big one's attention. His hands hung unthreateningly at his sides, free. His weight looked evenly distributed, casual. But while it was indeed centered, the distribution to his thin legs was a good five-to-one in favor of the left. He then offered conversationally, "Not sure precisely what you're after, my friend, but whatever it is, you'll get more of it by winning allies than making enemies."

+Quote Post
Beta
post Jun 14 2016, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 14 2016, 04:16 PM) *
@ Addie
Before you can lunge for it however you hear a sound that chills you to the core… the distinctive rattle and hiss of some sort of rock viper…!

Addie starts the thought about how rattlers don't really want to bite you and how snakes are more afraid of being hurt by humans than wanting to hurt them and how she just needs to locate it, then slowly move away, making sure not to startle it. She can almost see the whole train of thought, and its calm, rational, outcome.

She has time to start the thought -- but no more than that before her boosted reflexes have her leaping toward the nearest bare rock, some primal part of her screaming at her not to let it sneak up on her through the grass or bushes.

Mid-leap she realizes that the snake is on the rock. Some detached part of her realizes that of course it is - it is sunning itself there. But most of her focus is on grabbing the snake by the throat before its massive, venom dripping, fangs can sink deep into her throat, leaving her to perish all alone in this blasted wilderness.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jun 15 2016, 02:27 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

As the two boys make a wise a make a wise retreat, Blank takes a moment to soak in the situation. With the simple demonstration of intent most of the kids seem wary to approach him. More so than they were before. The crate is dropped and its contents have been strewn about. He takes a moment to assess the contents of the box, with priority for anything that can be used as a weapon. Armament is key to survival. Anything else he can obtain after. He does not need the armament, in truth, but it cannot hurt.

With his assessment made, Blank kneels down to retrieve whatever is worth taking from the crate. As he starts to salvage items he hears the footfalls of a small form jogging his way. When the kid who approaches comes close, Blank lifts a hand without looking and points at him. A sign to stop while he is still not considered a threat.

If the words register, Blank does not show it. Instead, he finished his salvage, and stands slowly. He turns to regard the smaller boy, taking an assessment of him. Only then does he speak with measured words.

As the two boys make a wise a make a wise retreat, Blank takes a moment to soak in the situation. With the simple demonstration of intent most of the kids seem wary to approach him. More so than they were before. The crate is dropped and its contents have been strewn about. He takes a moment to assess the contents of the box, with priority for anything that can be used as a weapon. Armament is key to survival. Anything else he can obtain after. He does not need the armament, in truth, but it cannot hurt.

With his assessment made, Blank kneels down to retrieve whatever is worth taking from the crate. As he starts to salvage items he hears the footfalls of a small form jogging his way. When the kid who approaches comes close, Blank lifts a hand without looking and points at him. A sign to stop while he is still not considered a threat.

If the words register, Blank does not show it. Instead, he finished his salvage, and stands slowly. He turns to regard the smaller boy, taking an assessment of him. Only then does he speak with measured words.

`You are no threat.`

He turns to clear some distance from the crate, and to let the others pick at the bones of it.

+Quote Post
Gilga
post Jun 15 2016, 03:45 AM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 200,423

Dana awakes in a strange unfamiliar world, her modest clothes turn into rugs.

"Someone undressed me... where am I?"

Primal fear takes over as she understands that she is out doors, Alone, surrounded by SINless scum. Looking around her she spots a bunch of crates, but then her attention is taken by two jerks that try to get their way with a girl. She is looking with curiosity as some dumb ork plays the knight on a shining armor. Some people look for food or shelter but Maya is looking for a book.

"My Sidur... I always carry it with me... where is it?"

Dana is too shy to speak in a crowd especially in front of boys...

" I am lucky I was not triggered, I could have killed them all. You should not do these things to a person like me."
She looks at some of the boys pathetically trying to build a shelter... "I'll just manipulate the earth to shelter me, why waste hours struggling." She thinks.

Seeking a remote location by the stream Dana begins praying in fluent Hebrew.
שְׁמַע, יִשְׂרָאֵל: ה' אֱלוהֵינוּ, ה' אֶחָד.

Shma Israel seemed like the appropriate prayer for this hour. Although, Dana knows it by heart but still feels bad for not having her Sidur with her.

+Quote Post
irn0rchid
post Jun 15 2016, 04:20 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 200,422

At the emergence of the ork that seemed to be asserting leadership of the group, Lindsey quickly averts her eyes deferentially. As she crosses the open space around the crates to stand in front of him she can feel the eyes of everyone following her. "Well, no hiding in anonymity this time..."

(Or'zet) "Not much to talk. Only so much food here and not much else," she motions at the scree extending into the distance. Nodding her head at the older boy that brought up the idea, "the ujnort wants to make like yerz'eth from what's left. Be good to go along, for now. You already ate more than most."

"Yeah, sure, we're good for now. Tell the kart we're done here." No sooner had he spoken than he turned and strode away, the other orcs trailing behind him. Lindsey turns back to the other group of kids and shrugs her shoulders, "So yeah, they're okay with the plan now, they just didn't know what the plan was. You guys should give *people* the benefit of the doubt. We're all in the same mess here, right?" Meeting eyes with a few of the kids who seemed to be most belligerent a few moments ago, she waited till they all nodded before turning and hurrying after the orks. "Yay me, hero of the day. Keeping the peace and all that. Blah, blah, blah. Wonder how long it takes the angry ones to decide the orks aren't actually 'people'? That should be fun." Smiling to herself as she catches back up with the ork group, she plays tail-end-Charlie as the lead one strides purposefully towards the trees. Scrunching up her face as they walk, she peers around purposefully to see if any of her 'friends' from back home had made the trip with her. She knows, now, that they aren't really people, but for so many of her formative years they were her only companions, so she still has trouble thinking of them as anything else. Shortly she does catch sight of one she knows as a wave of tiredness sweeps over her. And speaking of, he seems to look tired as well, or maybe washed out? After acknowledging him she unscrews her face and excitedly thinks to him, "Hoi, so glad I'm not alone here! Do you have any idea what's going on? Where are we?!"

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Mercy
post Jun 15 2016, 04:35 AM
Post #20

Runner

Maya waits for the large man to leave before stepping up to look at what he has left behind. Most of the others had left when told there was no food or weapons in the crate, but Maya can barely believe her luck to find a small saw, a utility knife, a small folding shovel, and a mallet. These tools will prove invaluable to making the best of a bad situation. For some reason, the vary large Ork is still standing over her, even after the rest of his fellow had left. Surprised a bit, she stands and moves a short distance away so as to let others pick through the crate. She again holds out her hand. "We were interrupted earlier. My name is Maya. What is yours? You speak English, but would you prefer a different language?"

+Quote Post
Beta
post Jun 15 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 14 2016, 10:44 PM) *
.... But most of her focus is on grabbing the snake by the throat before its massive, venom dripping, fangs can sink deep into her throat, leaving her to perish all alone in this blasted wilderness.

The snake is slower than she expects -- or maybe she is faster than she expects, since she's still getting used to the effect of the Boosted Reflexes--but she catches it before it strikes.

A moment of triumph is followed by a wave of horror as she realizes that she has basically trapped herself into holding a thrashing SNAKE until one them falls unconscious. Which makes what follows not so much of a decision as a reflex. She already has her hands wrapped around the snake, so it takes only an odd mental effort -- a little bit like trying to twitch just your little finger -- to trigger her electro-accumulators. She unleashes a full strength blast into the captive reptile.

The resulting jerk loosens her grip on the snake, but terror lends her the speed to re-grab the scaly horror before it can move away. She turns her lunge to recapture the snake into a roll, and does two complete revolutions as she rolls down a slope before her hip slams into a rock and stops her. Fortunately she is above the snake and she promptly pins it hard against the ground. The snake is still twitching, but weakly enough that she manages to think -- "it is still an animal, it still has to breath, keep constricting its 'neck' eventually the thing has to fall unconscious." She presses down with all her weight -- "and take THAT Mom for all the snide comments that maybe I should diet harder" -- until eventually the snake stops moving. She holds on for a while longer in case it is playing possum, then finally lets it go, scrambles for a nearby rock, and slams the stone repeatedly onto the thing's skull until it is clearly dead.

Even then she tosses it up onto the rocks where it will be easy to see if it moves, before she grabs the box of medicines.

Only then does she give in to her desire to curl up in a ball--around the box-- and sob as shock and terror have their way.

[ Spoiler ]

===========================

It only takes her a few minutes to compose herself. She is an Addison after all, and 'can't let feelings run rampant over her life.'

She makes her way back to the stream, where she cleans the dirt from her face and hands, then takes another long drink, after which she feels at least somewhat composed. Her very basic first aid training takes hold, and she inspects herself for any actual injuries beyond the bruises she somehow picked up in the whole affair. She seems to be intact, but her clothing less so. Most of it is dirty, and she's ripped out both knees of the cheap clothing, along with a seam coming apart on her right shoulder and an abraded area on her left hip that looks like it might give away soon.

She fingers the fabric, except it almost feels more like paper. She's had gowns that felt like this on some of her many hospital visits growing up, but she didn't know anybody made clothes out of stuff this cheap. It has no stretch to it, and it isn't well shaped to her figure -- no wonder it started to fall apart as soon as soon as she was active in it. If she'd had any doubt that this was real, the clothing settles it -- she can't imagine dreaming up something so shoddy.

Well, nothing much to be done about the state of her clothing, and she realizes that the sun is soon to go behind the hills. Mountains? Whatever they are, it will soon be terrifyingly dark, and no doubt there is still no organization happening at the main camp area. She hoists the box of medicine, then hesitates. She really doesn't want to go near that snake again, but it was a rattler, and she had killed it, and that has to be worth some points with those impressed by such things. And most of it should be edible.

Those rations aren't going to last forever.

Not without a shudder she backtracks and gingerly picks up the snake by its tail, rather shocked by how small it seems now, not the monster that it had seemed when she was fighting it. She carefully drapes it on the box, and the box awkwardly held so that the snake doesn't touch her, she makes her way back toward the 'camp.'

===========================

She hadn't managed to take a straight route back to the camp, and might have wandered longer if not for the the noise from the other kids. By the time she is walking through the fringes of the group her bruises are making themselves known and her back is feeling the strain of the awkward way she is holding the box.

Which is to say that her patience was about done for. Realizing that a lot of eyes have started following her, she thinks "Why not -- I'm making a bit of a spectacle, and no doubt everyone could use a distraction. Might as well make the most of it."

She places the box of medicine on the ground, puts one foot on it, and announces "I found some medicine. If anyone has decent first aid or medical training, come impress me and I'll hand it over to your care. Until then I'll hold on to it. This stuff could mean life or death for anyone of you --" She stares around defiantly at the other kids before continuing " -- so no messing around with it. We've got no Doc Wagon, no run to Stuffer Shack for more supplies, no Mommy and Daddy to kiss it all better. This little box is what we've got. If we are ALL getting out of here, we can't afford to waste vital supplies."

Noticing a trio of orcs who had watched her walk in, but whose attention started wandering when she started speaking in english, she ransacks her memory and manages to come up with the Orzet word for bandages "Liktit!" she calls out to them them, gesturing at the box. She thinks "Not all that coherent, but sometimes making an effort is half the battle."

Feeling the attention of the rest of the kids starting to slip away, she looks around again, and uses her best public speaking voice to announce "Also -- I killed a rattlesnake. So be careful if you are roaming around out there -- no doubt there are more, and there may not be a lot we can do if anyone gets bit. Aside from that, has anyone got a fire started yet -- if anyone is brave enough to eat some rattlesnake, I'm willing to try cooking it up and sharing it out. Frag it, if we don't have a fire and you are brave enough to take a bite of raw snake, come and get it."

She felt proud of that last twist. It was a cheap trick, but it could help some of the kids feel braver, which was probably needed. It gave her something of 'value' to share beside the medicine, which should make her look less greedy. And it would help ensure that the snake was crisped up and devoured so that hopefully she could stop feeling like it was about to spring back to life and get her.

"And finally, while I have your attention -- the sun is almost down. If you've never been out in the country at night it is about to get really dark. You need to void yourself? Go do it now--just not in the creek, that is our drinking water right now. Got anything else to do? Go do it now. Once it gets dark, if you hear someone in trouble but you can't see your hand in front of your face, don't go running off and get yourself hurt too."

"Once the sun IS down, any other girls want to join me over there --" pointing as a spot that at least is somewhat flat and not too rocky "--that might be a good idea. Sorry boys, you can make your own clump tonight."

+Quote Post
Gilga
post Jun 15 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #22

Dragon

Member No.: 200,423

Feeling the attention of the rest of the kids starting to slip away, she looks around again, and uses her best public speaking voice to announce "Also -- I killed a rattlesnake. So be careful if you are roaming around out there -- no doubt there are more, and there may not be a lot we can do if anyone gets bit. Aside from that, has anyone got a fire started yet -- if anyone is brave enough to eat some rattlesnake, I'm willing to try cooking it up and sharing it out. Frag it, if we don't have a fire and you are brave enough to take a bite of raw snake, come and get it."

Dana finishes praying and then looks around her, she notice a lady holding a rattle snake, she seems indifferent about snake but impressed about the reflexes. Starting a conversation is difficult for her, and Dana could feel her hair reddens - but she wants to at least try and find someone. She can relate too, at least know someone that has a potential to keep alive for a few days. The girl holding the snake and endlessly speaking seems like she is going to survive long enough so that it worth remembering her name. Dana approaches her and say:

"Nice reflexes, can you fight? I'd need someone to train with if we are to stay here. I am Dana by the way."

+Quote Post
adamu
post Jun 15 2016, 11:21 PM
Post #23

Snakehandler

As the scarred girl helped herself to most of the rest of the tools, Rafferty watched the larger individual walk away. His face turned red. He had never been ignored like that before. By anyone. As the indignation welled up, he quickly composed himself. The stakes - his honor and his survival - were far too high to let pride be a factor.

In practical terms, discretion might indeed be the better part of valor. He'd already made the correct decision to assume everything happening was real. And that meant broken bones were real. The thief had height, weight, and reach. Moreover, he carried himself as someone accustomed to violence. Rafferty, on the other hand, had never struck a blow in anger. Never in his life. As his elevated heartbeat was reminding him now. For goodness sake, the nearness of real confrontation had sent his adrenal glands into overdrive.

But no, it wasn't pride, and it wasn't adrenaline. The fellow had taken both cutting tools, the most important in their situation, and the hardest to fabricate from scratch. He'd thus injured them all. And if they continued that descent into anarchy, now on the first day of whatever ordeal this was, then they were all dead anyway. The fellow was hopelessly outnumbered by those whom he'd injured. But it would take someone to step up first, even if that meant being killed first. It had to be done now, and it had to be done openly.

He spoke to no one in particular, but loudly enough for those around to hear him in the still mountain air. "That fellow's made off with both the blades. We'll all need those. I'm going to have another go at reasoning with him, and then I suppose take whatever other steps prove necessary. Anyone that cares to come along would be most welcome."

And with that he set off at a trot after the big fellow, not looking back to see if anyone followed him.

"Hold up there now, friend. You've got both blades, you see. I'll have one, if you don't mind. In fact I insist."

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jun 16 2016, 04:18 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

When he departs the immediate area of the discarded tool crate, Blank expects to be pursued. He has identified among the population gathered several potential aggressors, chief among them several orks. They are the ones he maintains tracking on as he moves to parallel the flow of water and to head upstream. Some distance between himself and the others will serve him well until such time as he can assess his needs. The water upstream will be untainted by the actions of those less accustomed to maintaining a clean supply. As he continues his path, however, the words of the boy who he had dismissed alights the genetically re-calibrated ossicles of his inner ear. Blank slows his pace and considers that he may have underestimated the smaller young man. He hears the attempt to rally a mob against him, which is valiant, but ultimately foolish. By the time Raf approaches, Blank has stopped at the edge of a small bend in the creek and is contemplating his reflection in the water.

When he is addressed, Blank remains quiet for a few lingering moments. He weighs the words against his directives. Survival does not have to be a solo affair, but ultimately he cannot be responsible for others. To weigh himself down will impede his ability to make contact and ultimately report his failure to execute his last mark.

`Some of them will die, despite your efforts. If the two I scared off had taken the blades, bloodshed would have happened sooner. They are safe with me.`

His voice is dispassionate. Emotion is not a factor. A thief must not show his emotions. For Blank this is easy. He has none.

+Quote Post
Mercy
post Jun 16 2016, 05:22 AM
Post #25

Runner

Maya looks at the girl with the dead snake and walks to her. "Hello, my name is Maya. I have some decent skills in first aid and could certainly make use of those supplies. I agree that they are important to all of us and would not want to see them fought over. I am with several others just over there and we have some crude shelters set up already. Would you like to bring the crate and stay with us? And the snake, I can probably cook it up and see how many can share from it. May I have it?"

She returns to the camp, hopefully with the large Ork and the new girl still with her. She greets the people of her small band in several languages as some speak English, some French, two are German, and another two are Chinese. She hands the shovel to the young French kids and points to a place a number of feet from the lean-tos. "Please dig a trench there. It will need to be about a foot deep and several feet long." She turns to the rest and says, "They are going to dig us a place to use as a bathroom. It will be important that you use this trench and not just anywhere you want. We need to keep as sanitary as possible. Now who wants to watch as I start a fire? We will need that as well if we are to survive long."

Maya takes two sticks she has found earlier and set aside for the purpose. Taking some of the twine she has saved, she makes a small bow and sets it to the side. Gathering some moss and dried twigs that she had some of the group gather, she makes a small mound in the center of a ring of stones. Using the small bow and the second stick, she soon has a small fire going in the moss and twigs and feeds it with larger twigs and then sticks and a couple of logs. Soon the fire is going well and she starts skinning the snake with the utility knife, cutting it up into small strips which she spears with sticks and has people hold over the fire to cook, showing them how and letting them feel empowered. The fire draws attention, as it was meant to do, and soon there are others milling about. Maya stands and calls out, "Welcome, but beware. These people worked hard to get this set up and we will have nothing to do with those who would just sit back and use it without contributing. I ask that everyone who wants to join us to share the bounty of what you might have found or have with you. There are many mouths to feed and hoarding is not the way to survive." She notices several tough looking humans and a couple of Orks standing off to one side muttering to themselves. "I know that all of you have seen the scars on my face. Well, a few years ago, I was almost lunch for a very large tiger. Sure he marked me, and good. The face scars are just the beginning. But before anyone jumps up and tries to take advantage of us, please ask yourself this, what happened to the fragging tiger? I just hope no one here wants to be the tiger and end up as my lunch, like he did."

"Now, on a happier note, I do have some first aid training and some medical supplies. If anyone is injured, please come see me and I will try to treat you. Please realize that there is only so much medicine and I have to reserve most of it for serious injuries, so do not be too disappointed if I treat you without the meds." As hoped, the size of her small band almost doubles as others want to share the warmth and seem willing to contribute to the limited food stores. Maya is already planning on what to do for some snares, but that will take a small walkabout in the light of day to find the small game trails. Several kids show up with scrapes and cuts, but nothing more serious, and she passes out a few Band-Aids and some advice. She notes with pleasure that it does not take many reminders to get the people using the latrine and she sends some off in groups of three or four to get something to drink at the stream nearby, making sure that they are warned of the possible presence of snakes. Soon she is telling stories around the fire of some of the places she has been, entertaining as best she can before asking if others know stories and letting them help.

+Quote Post

50 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.