Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exclusive actions and Foci
cutter07
post May 15 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,239

First, can you do other non-spell casting actions during exclusive actions such as casting an exclusive spell?

Also which Foci helps reduce drain?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moonwolf
post May 15 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,011

1) Can you do other action when casting a non-exclusive spell? Nope, therefore, you can't with an exclusive one.

2) There isn't a type of focus that just reduces drain, however, the bonus dice given by spell(spellcasting), spell category(spellcasting), spirit(summoning) and power(both) can be used to reduce drain instead of giving extra successes in the main action.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post May 15 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

1) Exclusive actions are called that for a reason -- you can't do anything else when doing them. You can perform other actions while casting non-exclusive spells (sustain another spell, shout a warning, or another Free action since spellcasting is a Complex Action in the first place). With an Exclusive spell, you can ONLY cast that spell and NOTHING else. Well, breathing may be allowed... ^_-

2) No foci reduce drain directly, but you can use the bonus dice from a focus or fetish (if of the appropriate type) to give you bonus dice to resist the drain. Or you can use them to increase the chances of success when casting a spell.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Glyph
post May 15 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Actually, exclusive spells only prohibit the use of any other magical skill, or maintaining any other magical ability (pg. 160 of the main book). So you can't keep up spell defense or maintain a spell, but you can still move on your turn and take a free action on your combat phase (and on subsequent ones, if you declare them first). You can also use activated foci, since they don't require an action to use (and if this were not so, then spirit foci would be useless, since conjuring is also an exclusive action).

Moonwolf covered the foci. Note that, other than expendable spell foci (which have to be used for Sorcery or for Drain, but not both), you can split the bonus dice from a focus between spellcasting or conjuring and resisting Drain.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post May 23 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,234

QUOTE (Moonwolf @ May 15 2004, 01:58 PM)
2) There isn't a type of focus that just reduces drain, however, the bonus dice given by spell(spellcasting), spell category(spellcasting), spirit(summoning) and power(both) can be used to reduce drain instead of giving extra successes in the main action.

Plus, if your character has Centering, you may use Centering foci for extra dice to roll to drop the Drain TN

+Quote Post
JaronK
post May 23 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

If I'm sustaining a spell via a sustaining focus, can I cast an exclusive spell without dropping the spell? For example, if I have invisibility as an exclusive spell, and I'm sustaining Improved Reflexes with a focus, does the IR drop?

JaronK

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 23 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

If I'm sustaining a spell via a sustaining focus, can I cast an exclusive spell without dropping the spell? For example, if I have invisibility as an exclusive spell, and I'm sustaining Improved Reflexes with a focus, does the IR drop?

Yes, because the focus is actually sustaining the spell, not you, so you no longer have the modifier for sustaining the spell.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 23 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

To clarify-- yes, you can cast the spell; and no, the IR doesn't drop.

As for foci-- Wandered almost had it completely right. You can also use Centering foci as additional dice on a Centering vs Drain test, and not just to reduce the Drain TN (which is actually difficult to do; there's only a few TN penalties that apply to a Drain test, so most of the time you'll be dealing with the base drain anyways.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.