Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Touch attack spells
Slide885
post Aug 17 2016, 03:00 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 200,508

So when some one cast a touch attack spell, say Punch, the book says they have to make an unarmed touch attack against the opponent (+2 dice for touching). Is this unarmed attack considered part of complex action of casting the spell?

What if I have a cheeky player who says "I want to touch him by punching his face or tackling him?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Aug 17 2016, 04:07 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 37,075

Some of the original developers have clarified that, yes, the touch-only attack is included in the Spellcasting Complex Action. Thus you don't need to make a separate Unarmed Attack roll, contrary to what the book implies. You just roll the Spellcasting dice pool to determine whether or not you connect.

While this is more fair to the caster - since many have low values Agility and Unarmed Attack - a Direct touch-only spell does negate the dodge pool of the defender. If it helps, you could think of Direct touch spells as spells with a 1-meter range. The mage must be capable of touching someone or something - he or she can't be tied up, for example - but the physical touch is not strictly necessary. It's not how the rules are written, but it is more logical than having a move-by-wire street samurai being unable to physically avoid Sir Trips-a-Lot the Mage.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Aug 17 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Slide885 @ Aug 16 2016, 10:00 PM) *
So when some one cast a touch attack spell, say Punch, the book says they have to make an unarmed touch attack against the opponent (+2 dice for touching). Is this unarmed attack considered part of complex action of casting the spell?

What if I have a cheeky player who says "I want to touch him by punching his face or tackling him?"

ImO (backed by at least 2 former Editions)
The touch as an Action is included in the Spell but You have to make a second Roll (a roll only, not a separate Action) to see wether you
can touch the opponent.
A touch only gives +2 Dice and you win on a Draw.
This touch makes no damage
Doing Double Damage from one single Action is not Possible in SR !
If your Cheesy Player wants to make a separate Atack which does separate Damage its a seperate complex Action.
But since the Spell is instant, it is no longer once the Second Action happens in the next Pass .

With a touchy Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Blade
post Aug 17 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I am not sure in SR5 but in SR4, no attack could ever deal multiple damages. For example if you punched someone with shock gloves you only counted the damage of the shock, not of the punch.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 18 2016, 01:12 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The action of attacking was considered part of the complex action of spellcasting in SR4, although the caster did have to make a separate attack roll (although getting a bonus to hit, and succeeding on a tie).

SR5 has rules for touch-only attacks, but for touch spells, it does not explicitly state that the unarmed (touch) attack is made simultaneously with the spellcasting test. Personally, I think a lot of SR4 rules were assumed, but missed actually being included in SR5.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Aug 18 2016, 02:10 AM
Post #6

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I could see this going either way, but it would, I think, take some house-ruling either way.

Method 1: Aura Conductivity
[ Spoiler ]

Method 2: Direct Contact
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Aug 30 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #7

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Nothing? Nobody? I was moderately proud of those two houserule possibilities. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 31 2016, 01:33 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

I prefer the SR4 rules, frankly. Personal bias is involved - I think touch spells should be more difficult to pull off, especially against a wired-up street sam or a kung-fu adept.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Sep 4 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 30 2016, 09:33 PM) *
I prefer the SR4 rules, frankly. Personal bias is involved - I think touch spells should be more difficult to pull off, especially against a wired-up street sam or a kung-fu adept.

What if your mage is amped up with an Increase Reflexes spell or has something like a Synaptic Booster installed?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 4 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 4 2016, 01:02 PM) *
What if your mage is amped up with an Increase Reflexes spell or has something like a Synaptic Booster installed?

Then that mage has a better chance of going first. But in SR5, like SR4, going fast and hitting things use different Attributes. So it will still be hard to tag someone with a high (probably augmented) Reaction and a decent Intuition, especially if that mage has an average Agility and a low unarmed combat skill.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.