Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5th Edition: Powerblade questions
Bombadil
post Oct 11 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 200,923

Hello Team: New poster here, but old Shadowrun player (been playing since 1990, with Shadowrun 1st edition. Played pretty much every version except 4th edition).

So a player of mine wants to use the Powerblade spell; he has a concept of a "Jedi" (basically, he wants to build a Mystic Adept on the Psionic Magic Tradition). Not surprisingly, he wants to have his PC learn the Powerblade spell (from HT/DS), to simulate a lightsaber.

I have some conceptual questions about Powerblade for the other Refs. If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the basic damage is equal to the spell Force. Okay, no problem. The ACC is Spell Force, still good. I'm a bit confused about impacts of armor; the spell description doesn't specifically call it out, but notes Powerblade is based on Power Bolt. The description of the spell also notes Powerblade is affected by Armor, which is giving me a bit of a headache, as Direct Combat Spells ignore Armor.

It's probably being involved in Shadowrun for too long, but I can kinda see it as an 'old school' damaging Manipulation, or an Indirect Combat spell in SR5, which does have AP equal to Spell Force.

Just wanted to get other's thoughts on how they're handling this spell, if it's even coming up...I can't imagine my player is the only one wanting to play a Jedi Adept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Oct 11 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 37,075

Welcome to the forums.

Contrary to how they are currently listed, I wouldn't categorize spellblades as Combat spells. With the exception of Flame Burst from Shadow Spells, there are no sustained Combat spells. In my opinion, since Spellblades are sustained spells and potentially applicable outside of combat, it makes more sense to categorize Spellblades as Manipulation spells. This helps to sidestep the issue of having the initial casting being a higher-drain version of Death Touch / Shatter.

Personally I would not grant AP for Powerblade. This does make it less useful in combat than Shatter, but this is compensated by the additional utility that the spell provides, including parrying and non-combat uses, such as cutting, leverage, and other uses consistent with the Manipulation spell interpretation. This would be similar to the existence of the spell Ignite (Manipulation), even though there are fire-based Combat spells.

If spellblades are intellectually interesting, then there has been a ton of discussion about them on the official forums. See:
1) http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=22260.0
2) http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23588.0
3) http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=24198.0
and someone else who wanted to make a Jedi:
4) http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23166.0

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post Oct 12 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 154,444

The German Hard Target book cleared this up:

It's a combat spell, Force DV, AP-Force, ACC Force.

Powerfull spell, but needs to be sustained, which impacts it's usability somewhat.

+Quote Post
Bombadil
post Oct 12 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 200,923

Thanks All!

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 14 2016, 05:01 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Oct 12 2016, 05:52 AM) *

Powerfull spell, but needs to be sustained, which impacts it's usability somewhat.

Unless you have a Combat sustaining focus. Hell for a Jedi, that is an absolute must. And since the player wants to have a "Jedi" of the Psionic Tradition, then having him find the crystals needed for his focus can be a fun little side adventure.

+Quote Post
Jareth Valar
post Oct 24 2016, 03:24 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,160

QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Oct 12 2016, 06:52 AM) *

So, hits still mean nothing. Personally, change ACC to Hits

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Oct 24 2016, 05:38 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (Jareth Valar @ Oct 23 2016, 08:24 PM) *
So, hits still mean nothing. Personally, change ACC to Hits

Say that again after your Power/Mana blade has been dispelled in the middle of combat.

SR5, page 295, left hand side under the subheading "DISPELLING". The one time where a Power Focus actually aids in the use of your Counterspelling skill.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.