Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TÍR TAIRNGIRE
Savar
post Jun 17 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,147

If making a char from TÍR TAIRNGIRE, anyone know what would be the most likely Ivy League collage they would attend?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sturmlied
post Jun 17 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 209,861

Considering the tendency for isolationism in the Tír I would say University of Tír Tairngire (Eugene/Serentaneyo). I am not sure if it is considered Ivy League in general but afaik it is the top university in the Tír.

+Quote Post
Savar
post Jun 17 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Thank you, that makes sense.

Now need to find a corp that might be experimenting on Technomancers.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jun 17 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Savar @ Jun 17 2017, 10:18 AM) *
Now need to find a corp that might be experimenting on Technomancers.

Uh... that's a joke right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I mean honestly, which corp ISN'T experimenting on those poor bastards?

+Quote Post
Sturmlied
post Jun 17 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 209,861

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 17 2017, 02:26 PM) *
Uh... that's a joke right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I mean honestly, which corp ISN'T experimenting on those poor bastards?

"Throw a stone and you will hit one" comes to mind

Bur I believe Horizon got the worst rep regarding Technomancers? With the Las Vegas incident?

+Quote Post
Savar
post Jun 17 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

True but how many operate in the Tir? I have only read TirNaNog and they ate not the same, the big ten are not on Ireland that I remember.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jun 17 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #7

Keeper of the Timeline Maps

Member No.: 19,243

Don't forget the government that founded Tír Tairngire was toppled in 2064. The old regime instituted an isolationist policy at the end of the 2050s that devasted the Tír's economy. They had to revert the policy after a few years and even allowed foreign corporations to come in and buy Tír companies. Didn't save them. I believe after the Council of Princes was ousted the country opened up even more. So when the first technomancers show up in the mid-2060s there should be corporations around to snatch them up. Of course there also local biotech corps like Telestrian Biotechnology and New Dawn.

+Quote Post
Savar
post Jun 17 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Thank you for that history lesson. That is what I needed. Thank you for the information that will allow me to finish my character.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jun 18 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

The council of princes still exists, just the old immortal elven membership was ousted. They also reinstated the Right of Passage and opened it up to everyone, not just elves, so citizens could advance their station. The 4th ed source book Land of Promise gives a run down on what is happening in the Tir now.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jun 18 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Keeper of the Timeline Maps

Member No.: 19,243

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jun 18 2017, 07:08 PM) *
The council of princes still exists, just the old immortal elven membership was ousted.
Kind of, it's an elective body now.

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jun 18 2017, 07:08 PM) *
They also reinstated the Right of Passage and opened it up to everyone, not just elves, so citizens could advance their station.
You mean the Rite of Progression. It was always open to other metatypes, though considered to be stacked against them. Honestly I don't even know if conditions have changed much on the rite. Maybe now it's only your wealth and connections that influence your success. Of course most of the wealth in the Tír is held by Elven families, so ...

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Jun 18 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Awakened Master Ninja

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,844

We've never been able to take Tir Tairngire seriously. A bunch of sort-of-Scadians out to actually live in some sort of D&D LARP where everyone's a knight or lord or baron or somesuch? It's so ridiculous we just retconned it out of existence, and said that secession-minded elves headed to Ireland to setup Tír na nÓg instead.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jun 18 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Remember Tir Tairngire is, by all account, a small country. Population and economics put it on par with Denmark or Finland. Actually, Tir Tairngire economic performance may be fairly poor when you consider it should have five times less elderly persons and a fraction of health costs of comparable nations (it's not even about elves not aging, as there are nearly none over 60 by 2070).

Tir Tairngire main exports wee said to be "intellectual property", patents, software, geneengineering. Basically, the Tir economy relies on having skillfull workers and them not moving away. Which is a pretty good reason to try to prevent megacorporations from setting shop in there. In theory, the government should also try to prevent its best and brightest from studying abroad, especially in science and technology.

+Quote Post
Dominious69
post Jun 29 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 209,273

QUOTE (Sturmlied @ Jun 17 2017, 07:34 AM) *
Considering the tendency for isolationism in the Tír I would say University of Tír Tairngire (Eugene/Serentaneyo). I am not sure if it is considered Ivy League in general but afaik it is the top university in the Tír.

As would Portland State University, and Reed even more so. Reed has historically been a very "green conscious" institution. The irony of that is that Reed is one of a handful of private schools that own their own reactor.
I will include a link to Reed Collage IRL in case you are interested in reading further. And here is a fun fact, Monica Lewinsky graduated from Reed.

http://www.reed.edu/about_reed/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.