Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miniguns and gasventing
Mantis
post Jul 1 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,538

So like the title says, miniguns and gasvents. Yes or no.
The rules don't say anything explicitly about it either way but logic makes me question it. However, if they don't get gasventing, shouldn't they instead have something like the high velocity guns and get some sort of inherent recoil comp?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 2 2017, 02:24 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

I'd say yes to minguns and gas vents, but there's a pretty long discussion about it almost 10 years ago over here.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jul 2 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jul 1 2017, 02:04 PM) *
So like the title says, miniguns and gasvents. Yes or no.
The rules don't say anything explicitly about it either way but logic makes me question it. However, if they don't get gasventing, shouldn't they instead have something like the high velocity guns and get some sort of inherent recoil comp?

Yes but the same Gasvent on ALL of the Barrels.
than you get the compensation for ONE

HougH!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jul 2 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 1 2017, 07:24 PM) *
I'd say yes to minguns and gas vents, but there's a pretty long discussion about it almost 10 years ago over here.

I waded through that post, and ignoring the comments about creating a magical recoil comp spell, the general consensus was....no consensus. Ranges from sure, go for it to yes, but pay for it 6 times to nope, can't do it.

If I had to pick from those choices I lean towards either no or else buy it for each barrel. I'd rather just say miniguns get some inherent recoil though, say 3 points, like the high velocity weapons.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 3 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

And what's wrong with having a singular gas vent as an accessory and barrel extension, like this? Same principle on revolvers where you've got a minuscule gap between cylinder and barrel, or barrel & vent in this example on a minigun.

+Quote Post
Koekepan
post Jul 3 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 52,483

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 3 2017, 01:13 PM) *
And what's wrong with having a singular gas vent as an accessory and barrel extension, like this? Same principle on revolvers where you've got a minuscule gap between cylinder and barrel, or barrel & vent in this example on a minigun.

(Relatively) short answer:

It could work in principle. But you'd have to have two very difficult problems solved.

The first very difficult problem is that your barrels would have to line up perfectly (to within a thousandth of an inch or better) with the gas venting system every single time, or your gas venting system would not last very long nor work very well. You could certainly invent a locking structure that ensures that, perhaps by locking the venting extension to the barrel every time, but you would run into a problem then that the whole system becomes slower and more complex. Theoretically possible. Practically dubious.

The next problem is that the whole reason for a minigun in the first place is to mitigate the effects of sustained fire on the barrels themselves. Try shooting fifty rounds in fairly rapid succession from a revolver with an unshrouded barrel, then feel the barrel. Quite warm, right? Now imagine what would happen to the venting system.

It would make more sense to cut vents into the front of each barrel in the minigun, as you might do on a revolver.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jul 3 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

..why Gas-venting? add Gyro Stabilisation system,Personalized Grip, Underbarrel weight..more RC would come if STR 6 (and more) to RC rule is used..(military Grade Armor w/STR upgrade)..

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 5 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jul 3 2017, 05:05 PM) *
The next problem is that the whole reason for a minigun in the first place is to mitigate the effects of sustained fire on the barrels themselves. Try shooting fifty rounds in fairly rapid succession from a revolver with an unshrouded barrel, then feel the barrel. Quite warm, right? Now imagine what would happen to the venting system.

In other words, you have all the disadvantages of a gatling cannon (weight, n of every component) combined with the principal disadvantage of a revolver cannon (all the strain and wear on one barrel) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.