Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excel Character Generator SR5
Aria
post Jul 19 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

An excel character generator that I've been working up since the beginnings of SR5 with help from a large number of people listed on the front page. Hope it's useful!

EDIT: Version .26 available with various bits tidied up and No Future stuff added

<<CG5.26>>

EDIT: Version .25 with a 'pretty sheet' added...let me know what you think!

<<CG5.25>>

EDIT: Version .24 added with Better than Bad crunch

<<CG5.24>>

Version .23 added with Kill Code

<<CG5.23>>

Version .22 added with Street Lethal

<<CG5.22>>

Any comments / suggestions please let me know!

A
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 19 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 210,183

I appreciate the amount of work put into this, and that you are sharing it freely.

Is there any instructions on it's use anywhere? I did look through the pages, but didn't see anything.

Maybe I'm not enough of an Excel guru, but it doesn't seem intuitive to me at all.

I don't want to seem mean, but what is the incentive to use this sheet over something like Chummer?
I'm all for options, and alternatives to installed Windows apps are always welcome. But at first glance, it appears the learning curve for this sheet is much steeper.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 20 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Dragon

There might have been instructions once upon a time... but they may have disappeared into the ether... I think the only ones left are on the Priorities Tab which more or less align with CG in the core book, ie steps 1-9, then go through the tabs in turn.

Typically grey boxes with thick black outlines are meant to be filled in (when they turn blue so you can see them more easily) and yellow boxes require player input of values. Eventually the plan was to lock the file so only these could be manipulated so feel free to lock it if it helps? I could probably add these basic instructions in somewhere in the next revision...

I could rename the Priorities Tab to 'start here' or something if that would help? There will always be some manual filling in of the sheet with gear, spells etc as that's where my excel skills fail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I've never used Chummer myself, but in the past I found that similar programs were great but didn't offer the rules summaries I've tried to attach to each spell, piece of gear etc. As my knowledge isn't encyclopaedic I found myself missing lots of good stuff just because I forgot about them!

And at the end of the day it's set up for me to use, if it's helpful to others brilliant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 20 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 20 2017, 07:04 AM) *
And at the end of the day it's set up for me to use, if it's helpful to others brilliant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That is a perfectly acceptable answer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And with that answer, the sheet becomes more clear to me. I took it as "here is this sheet I made for any who want to use it," which it didn't quite live up to.

As someone familiar (only barely) with spreadsheet coding I was looking at the first page thinking "it looks like I shouldn't change anything here, and yet it looks like I should start filling in these values."

For public consumption, some brief instructions are necessary. Something like
Start with the Priorities Tab.

Typically grey boxes with thick black outlines are meant to be filled in (when they turn blue so you can see them more easily) and yellow boxes require player input of values.
would be a good start.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 21 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Fair enough... how about this version...?

<<CG5.19>>

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

That passes my "newb friendly" check.

The only problem is, I am not a total newb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

The real test, if you were so inclined, would be to hand a copy to someone who was familiar with Shadowrun 5e, but completely unfamiliar with spreadsheets, and see if they could muddle through making a character on their own.

For its' purpose, it looks good to me though.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Sep 1 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Version .20 added with SOTA ADL stuff (thanks Jack) and Complete Trog added

<<CG5.20>>

+Quote Post
mrdred
post Sep 13 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 212,854

I may be missing it, but I don't see any way to add skill specializations via skill-pts at build, or via karma. For the former I'm guessing it would be another column for a specialization point (or multiple if you want to handle multiple-specializations after build). For the latter, I would brute-force it by pulling the list of skills (and auto-striking magic or resonance if the appropriate attribute isn't available) from the skills worksheet & then filling up to 12 (13) boxes to the right with 0's and a karma cost either further right, or left / below, etc.

Still testing other things, but so far this extremely helpful to my laziness.

Thank you!

ETA: I'm an idiot & didn't notice the grey box... too many years of those not being editable I guess. Sorry about that!
Personally, I'd also probably build the increase tables to automatically treat inputs as 0 or 1, or mark with a colour anything other than a 0/1 so people don't give themselves a discount on ability buy-ups. And add auto-colour for trying to put too many skill pts into one skill, using more than allowed attribute pts or 2+ attribs at max, etc. And I don't see if / how you handled aptitude & 13 in a skill, but those are minor quibbles.
-m

+Quote Post
Aria
post Nov 13 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Version .21 available with some corrections to karmagen and the techno errata added

<<CG5.21>>

+Quote Post
Aria
post Aug 24 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Version .22 added with Street Lethal

<<CG5.22>>

+Quote Post
Aria
post Oct 8 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Version .23 added with Kill Code

<<CG5.23>>

+Quote Post
Vicar
post Oct 8 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 131,870

This is cool. I've been spending the last while looking at it.

FYI, sheet 1b Life Module Calcs has some bad cell references.

Specifically, D35:51 should be referencing cells 2 higher than they are. EG: ='1a Life Modules'!D36 should be ='1a Life Modules'!D38

Actually, looking at it, it's the entire column starting at D35 and going to the end that is affected.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Oct 9 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Thanks for the spot! I'll amend the file now and re-upload it!

+Quote Post
Aria
post Nov 27 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Version .24 added with Better than Bad crunch

<<CG5.24>>

+Quote Post
tete
post Nov 28 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

I like it alot, its a bit weird at first but I figured it out eventually. The only thing I'd want to see is a prettier print out sheet similar to DKs 4e sheet. It doesnt have to be heroforge or anything.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Nov 29 2018, 01:02 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Fair enough... I tend to use it as a text export for Obsidian Portal but maybe I'll see what I can come up with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aria
post Dec 3 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Version .25 with a 'pretty sheet' added...Tete, or anyone else, please let me know what you think!

<<CG5.25>>

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jan 31 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #18

Dragon

EDIT: Version .26 available with various bits tidied up and No Future stuff added

<<CG5.26>>

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.