post Jul 22 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,147

Name Biff
GM none
Method sum to 10

Race 3 Troll Thermographic vision, +1 reach, +1 dermal armor, +100% lifestyle cost
Attribute 3 20
Magic/Resonance 2 Resonance 3 / 3 Complex forms
Skills 2 28/2
Resources 0 6000

Note I used the provisional errata of the starting number of complex forms.

Bod 5 : 5
Agi 1+2 : 3
Rea 1+4 : 5
Str 5 : 5
Wil 1+4 : 5
Log 1+3 : 4
Int 1+3 : 4
Cha 1+4 : 5

Edg 1+2(25 karma): 3
Ess 6
Res 3 Cleaner, Static Vail, Transcendent Grid

Initiative Rea+Int: 9+1D6
Matrix init: 8+4D6

Mental [(Log x 2) + Int + Wil] / 3 (rnd up): 6
Physical [(Str x 2) + Bod + Rea] / 3 (rnd up): 8
Social [(Cha x 2) + Wil + Ess] / 3 (rnd up): 7

Free knowledge/language 2×(Log+Int): 16
English N
Parazoology [emergent] 6 [8]
Seattle Street Gangs 4
Vending machine companies 5
Close Combat 2
Computer 3
Software 6
Cybercombat 6
Electronic warfare 3
Hacking 3
Etiquette 4
Longarms [shotguns] 2 [4]

Free contracts (Cha×3): 15
Decker 1/4
Bartender 1/3
(Organized crime) Lieutenant 3/3

Qualities
Exceptional attribute: Charisma 14 karma
Codeslicer: Data Spike
Extremely allergic: Gold +20 karma
Incompetent: Stealth +5 karma

Lifestyle: squatter 1000
Cheap clothing 200
Lined coat 1,800 acc 6 reach 2, str+3P
Staff 200
Commlink 3 +sim +trods 2000+200+140
Enfield AS-7 +(2)spare mags +ammo 2200+20+120
¥120+(2D6×40)

Growing up on the streets of Seattle was not the way I would have chosen. Mom didn't know who dad was, he was most likely someone who gave her a warm place to sleep some night. All I really remember of the early years was moving from place to place scrambling for food and shelter. With the lack of good food I ended up a runt. I did learn to interact with people and how to scare some of them. My favorite thing to do was watching the animals, the ones who did strange things. I seen one raccoon walk up to a vending machine reach in and grab out a soybar. Shortly after that I figured out that some of them interacted with machines. About that time I started hearing and seeing things that others didn't. I talked about that to a wierd guy, but he said I was without magic.
I started learning to interact with machines. Learning to use them and abuse them for fun and profit. I sometimes work for the local organization when they are doing some matrix stuff. Tim is the guy that asks me about that type of work, we get along pretty well. I am an unknown so I can muddle the trails so they can escape. If I am not doing that I have been hanging out with a guy named Hoyle learning some of how deckers work while teaching him about technomancers. If I need a better meal then out of vending machines I do some odd work at Relf’s place, what a dive. Relf is nice and friendly but the drinks and food are interesting, better than vending machine but not by much.
I need some better work to get a better place to live. I also want to find some other technomancers so I can learn about sprites as I don't know what they are. Most of my technomancer abilities I have learned from animals or practice with Hoyle.

I know the story needs more work. The char was kinda made as a joke. I mean a Troll Technomancer!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2017, 05:27 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Savar @ Jul 21 2017, 10:23 PM) *
I mean a Troll Technomancer!

What the hell does that mean?

You mean he's not a cookie cutter "I troll. I SMASH!" sterotype? GOOD!

It shows a creativity in making characters. Also who the hell would expect a TROLL to be so good at talking? That alone would get a lot of people sitting up and paying attention.

Now one thing I would say is that you only got the commlink as a decoy right? If that's the case drop the trode 'net, and SIM module. Get him a pistol. Right now he can't do anything in ranged combat and nice as hacking on the fly is, you need to be able to shoot someone in the face from time to time.

If you drop intimidation from 3 to 2, you can get pistol 2. You said it yourself, Biff is kinda of a runt.

+Quote Post
Savar
post Jul 22 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2017, 12:27 AM) *
What the hell does that mean?

You mean he's not a cookie cutter "I troll. I SMASH!" sterotype? GOOD!

It shows a creativity in making characters. Also who the hell would expect a TROLL to be so good at talking? That alone would get a lot of people sitting up and paying attention.

Now one thing I would say is that you only got the commlink as a decoy right? If that's the case drop the trode 'net, and SIM module. Get him a pistol. Right now he can't do anything in ranged combat and nice as hacking on the fly is, you need to be able to shoot someone in the face from time to time.

If you drop intimidation from 3 to 2, you can get pistol 2. You said it yourself, Biff is kinda of a runt.

Some stereotypes are based on facts. It took some effort to make it work.

Hmm why not just drop intimidation entirely and change the story some. To give him a gun. Lol his agility sux from his malnourished childhood, so guns are not his best thing. Yes he needs ranged damage.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Savar @ Jul 22 2017, 07:37 AM) *

Hmm why not just drop intimidation entirely and change the story some. To give him a gun. Lol his agility sux from his malnourished childhood, so guns are not his best thing. Yes he needs ranged damage.

Well he is still a troll, and that size (even reduced as it is) would be good for something.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jul 22 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

..missing Quality: Technomancer??

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 22 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 210,183

QUOTE (Stingray @ Jul 22 2017, 08:06 AM) *

In the core 5e rules, that isn't a quality. It isn't required to put on the sheet.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to do so to make it more clear what the character is.

+Quote Post
Savar
post Jul 22 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stingray @ Jul 22 2017, 08:06 AM) *

I spelled out it better in the priority list, thank you for pointing that out.

+Quote Post
Wacky
post Jul 22 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,365

He's no Brumby, but not bad by any means... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Sign--
Wacky

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Savar @ Jul 22 2017, 08:37 AM) *

Then rather than taking pistol, take Automatics and just use him for suppressive fire. Also I'd drop his body by one add one to his Agility, and any leftover points I'd put into Pistols (or automatics... whichever one you take).

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jul 23 2017, 05:34 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 37,075

I'm going to caveat a lot of this by saying that I know less about technomancers than I do about most other builds.

First things first, take the two points from Body and put them into Agility. Body 7 isn't worth much more than Body 5, but Agility 3 is vastly better than Agility 1. Currently you can't even default on several critical skills. Perhaps even more importantly, your movement rate with Agility 1 is atrocious. You really need more Agility so that your running speed isn't 4 meters per Combat Turn. That translates to 3mph (or 4.8kph), which is slower than my toddler.

When playing a troll, spending Priority A on your race is worth the pain. Those 5 special attribute points are huge huge huge. In this case, you could put 2 toward Edge (saving you the 25 karma you put there) and 3 toward Resonance, so now you're a full technomancer instead of half of one. Alternatively, if you like the idea of playing a technomancer in development, put all the special attribute points into Edge. Edge ratings of 6+ are a superpower as certainly as magic, cyber, and Resonance are, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

In this case I would probably sacrifice skills to get there. Dropping from Skills C to Skills D costs you 2 skill group points and 6 skill points. You can cover a lot of that with the 25 karma you saved from pumping up Edge, and the rest you can cover with your improved Agility and Resonance scores if you followed the advice above. Reclaim a point of Close Combat with 5 karma. You'll be at 4 dice for with those skills now that you have Agility 3, which is not encouraging but is still better than your current 3 dice. For the six skill points you have to trim, you can pinch them from dice pools that will be improved by your new Resonance 6, or know that if they come up in play you'll pre-spend Edge to add 6 dice to the pool (if you took the Edge build approach).

Skills that almost everyone wants that you don't have: Perception and Sneaking. Both go a long way to keeping you alive. I know you took Incompetent (Stealth) but that's basically suicide and demands more explanation. If you can't free up the points elsewhere, buy them with the karma you saved from Edge. 2 karma is enough to get your 1 rank so that you don't have to default.

Skills that a lot of people want that you don't have: any Firearms skill. I like KCKitsune's advice: suppressive fire is a dynamite way for low-Agility characters to contribute in combat.

No GM that I know would make you buy "cheap clothing" separately under your chargen purchases. It's assumed to be part of your lifestyle, even if it's a Squatter lifestyle.

Also, why does he have such an expensive commlink if 1) he's a technomancer, and 2) he's a squatter? Buy a Meta Link to simultaneously pretend that you're not a technomancer and prevent yourself from becoming a target of other jealous squatters.

I think you put the staff's Accuracy, Reach, and Damage code next to your lined coat by mistake, unless you have an exceptionally offensive lined coat.

There's a start. I won't pretend that I have it all but I think that would sharpen things up. I support the notion of a troll technomancer and bid you go forth with it.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 23 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Savar @ Jul 22 2017, 05:23 AM) *
Extremely allergic: Gold +20 karma

Are you sure you want to do that? I know you need every bit of karma you can get, but category "extreme" means shaking hands with somebody wearing a gold ring is enough to trigger an anaphylactic shock...

I also think Static Veil isn't that great, you can just run Cleaner regularly.

+Quote Post
Savar
post Jul 24 2017, 12:31 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 23 2017, 03:02 PM) *
I also think Static Veil isn't that great, you can just run Cleaner regularly.

It's a support power for a decker. Otherwise your right.

Yes the gold is a bit extreme, that was part of the point.

Going too move body to agility and think take longarms and take a combat shotgun.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.