Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberarm Recoil Compensation?
LaughingTiger
post May 19 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,211

Loose thoughts while I'm at work away from my books. If this is a listed modificaiton somewhere or has been covered to death, I apologize in advance.

I also want to preface this by saying my experience with firearms is extremly limited, so if we start talking specifics and statistics, expect me to do a lot of smiling and nodding :)

I was wondering if you could build recoil compensation into a cyberarm? Would it be possible to put "shocks" of a short into the forearm to deal with the force generated by a gunshot? The arm would move back, slightly, absorbing the shock, but keeping the gun level and on target. Good idea? Stupid? Horibble flaw I'm not seeing? Tear it up. :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 19 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

The "Cyberarm Gyromount" is found on pg36 of Man & Machine. ;)

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post May 19 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

Me and Arethusa also reason that a cybernetic non-datajacked smartlink going through a cyberarm linked with a router could provided improved impulse control that would effectively allow you to control the gun with less difficulty. :)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 20 2004, 04:01 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Basically, it's an idea I came up with for another project of mine: you take your standard cyberpunk weapon link that contains information about the impulse generated by the weapon's recoil and feed that data into the system controlling your cybernetic implants. It them responds by tensing the right muscles with the right amount of force in order to at least partially cancel weapon recoil. I will say that it does not really suit Shadowrun, however, and really would make more sense as partially canceling recoil than compensating up to a certain amount.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post May 20 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Arethusa @ May 20 2004, 12:01 AM)
Basically, it's an idea I came up with for another project of mine: you take your standard cyberpunk weapon link that contains information about the impulse generated by the weapon's recoil and feed that data into the system controlling your cybernetic implants.  It them responds by tensing the right muscles with the right amount of force in order to at least partially cancel weapon recoil.  I will say that it does not really suit Shadowrun, however, and really would make more sense as partially canceling recoil than compensating up to a certain amount.

But there are no muscles in a cyberarm. Do you mean hydraulics or something?

Barring a good example/explanation here I'd say no to your question. Just put shock pads on the gun or get more increased strength to counter the recoil.

If you wanted to use the house rule above I would suggest you'd need an additional piece of cyber to tell the hydros what to do since it isn't listed in the components of the smartlink or the smarlink II.

edit: In fact (now that I read it again) it seems like "increased strength" is the SR canon version of what Arethusa is talking about.

This post has been edited by kevyn668: May 20 2004, 04:37 AM

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 20 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #6

Runner

Like I said, I didn't come up with it as a part of an SR cyberarm. In the case of what I'd imagined, there were cybernetic muscle-like systems. In SR's case, sure, hydraulics or whatever else it uses.

And, no, it's not as simple as increased strength, because a very strong and otherwise normal human being is not going to have this kind of capability. I don't believe there's anything in SR canon like this.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post May 20 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

Wouldn't that work just as well with a meat-arm?

What exactly does the "limited simsense rig" bring to the smartlink party anyhow?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 20 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #8

Runner

It wouldn't work with a meat arm unless that meat arm is cybernetically controlled.

And it brings nothing. It was a ridiculous concept. Supposedly, you get different tactile sensations depending on weapon capacity, because, clearly, a simple HUD display was impossible.

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post May 20 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

I always thought it was to track the exact position of your arm while pointing the gun.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post May 20 2004, 09:08 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

This is what confused me - I'm sure that in SR1 the smartlink explaination was that it had a laser sight (or equivalent) which then mapped back to your field of vision to generate the crosshair. Of course I might be wrong and that could just have been my interpretation of it.

However - the presence of the simrig, to me, indicates control over the muscles in the arm - the arm is kept steady and in the correct position by the targeting system, which would allow a certain benefit against recoil (assuming the arm was strong enough).

If it's just to provide feedback - and feedback only comes from the arm/wrist/hand then how can it tell where the *gun* is actually pointing - I don't know a lot about this IRL but surely every gun has a slightly different grip style (some of the examples in Plastic Warriors' Running Gear mention about holding the gun in a different way) so how does the smartlink system know where the gun barrel is in relation to the hand?

Whilst I'm ranting, how come in SR2, the intro story (Plus Ca Change) they mention that the Ork Sammie has "nerve contact pads, the kind they use for cheap smartgun links that don't form a dermal circuit" - sounds like induction pads to me - even 10 years later they're still in use. What gives?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 20 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #11

Runner

No, the simrig only gives sensory feedback. As silly a concept as it is, it does not in any way suggest even minor motor control over the arm itself. And, no, tactile feedback has nothing to do with tracking the position of the gun relative to the shooter. It's strictly a one way system and does nothing for calculating or gathering information; it's only intent, however conceivably useless, is to provide the end user with information about his or her weapon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.