Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Street Lethal
binarywraith
post Jun 14 2018, 04:28 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,659

Anyone heard anything about this book? I just happened to catch a Facebook post from CGL that mentioned it existed and was selling con-only because they haven't stocked it at the warehouse yet.

Sad that we're at the point that as someone who's very interested in SR, I'm not hearing about upcoming releases before they're in print, but such is CGL.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beta
post Jun 14 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 190,206

It has been mentioned on the official forums for months (as being in the pipeline). Expecting to hear. About the pdf being up shortly.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jun 15 2018, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,075

There was a thread about it on reddit yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments..._early_release/

Short version is that printed copies are available at Origins. It's an early release only; printed copies are not at the warehouse yet.

The expectation (but not official announcement) is that it will drop by Gen Con, which is August 2-5 this year.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 15 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

The funny thing is that the German version was already announced for July. Given the regular time for translations they've either changed their process, or there is something weird going on. Considering we also have the"early release" of the print version for an ordinary sourcebook (i.e. not something big you want to hype up with limited releases, sneak previews and the like) without a PDF, my money is on the latter...

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jun 17 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

I believe they changed printers after the fiasco with sr5 reprints and Anarchy core books falling apart, so that's probably part of the delay. I wouldn't lay any large wagers that CGL isn't having financial troubles again as well, given the drop off in releases and going to kickstarter.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 18 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 17 2018, 03:07 PM) *
I wouldn't lay any large wagers that CGL isn't having financial troubles again as well, given the drop off in releases and going to kickstarter.

But if CGL were short on cash, they would certainly not be holding back what seems to be a finished PDF. A change in printers sounds like a better fit

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Jun 21 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,812

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 18 2018, 05:04 PM) *
But if CGL were short on cash, they would certainly not be holding back what seems to be a finished PDF. A change in printers sounds like a better fit

If CGL were short on cash, and not run by idiots who can't manage money, they'd produce and sell more product. Especially easy stuff (mostly-finished documents, etc.). It's also possible they have difficulties finding a printer willing to do the work for less money than they have on-hand.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jun 22 2018, 09:24 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Iduno @ Jun 21 2018, 11:44 AM) *
If CGL were short on cash, and not run by idiots who can't manage money, they'd produce and sell more product. Especially easy stuff (mostly-finished documents, etc.). It's also possible they have difficulties finding a printer willing to do the work for less money than they have on-hand.

Given how little of their writing seems to be done in-house vs by freelancers, pushing more product would probably be more expensive for them because they'd have to pay the authors.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 24 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Anyone heard anything about this book?

Jupp
I heard they now have Gravitationgrenades, Anti-Gravity-Drive for Spaceships, Plasma Energy Weapons and Plasma Forcefields .
Maybe Aliens landed and made a treaty with some of the Megacorps ?
or they (the Corps) succeeded in merging Magic with Technology ?

wo knows

Oh,yes , they also have Pirateguns with Bayonets....

He who dances with Aliens
Medicineman

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jun 24 2018, 05:17 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Since the spells came out a while ago, I can't wait for my writing to get to the point where I can have a magician with a spell called "Shake & Bake" (Gravity + Fire)

Of course, if you're able to incorporate an artificial gravity generator into a man portable unit capable of rapidly oscillating between attraction and repulsion, just add in a maser and you've got the same thing in tech.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 24 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 24 2018, 09:20 AM) *
Jupp
I heard they now have Gravitationgrenades, Anti-Gravity-Drive for Spaceships, Plasma Energy Weapons and Plasma Forcefields .

And just in case you were thinking he was being hyperbolic, he's actually low-balling it. The Monads have build a giant spaceship with gravity drives (because they still haven't figured out radio waves), but there's also antigrav personal vehicles, antigrav scooters, wearable antigrav, a personal forcefield...and that's just the one chapter, which also is an extremely blatant Black Panther mockbuster. Other sections of the future weapons chapter feature forcefields for ships (the water kind), another movie ripoff involving "some weird thing with lights" that erases memories, power armor, cyborgs from Augmentation are back but suddenly require Cybermancy...The chapter is best described with this actual quote from the beginning of the section about gravity weapons: "A lot of this stuff sounds like it belongs in a Horizon sci-fi trid, not on the streets of your local sprawl".

On the other hand' the chapter about normal weapons does not look that bad at first sight. Yes, they have varieties of the Apache revolver, but also sensible additions like a narcoject gun that can be fired with normal pistol skills. The biggest screwup I've found in this chapters is a pistol described as this: "there are no external hammers or levers, making for a sleek design that won’t snag on your clothes when it’s needed". The image shows a Colt 1911, hammer clearly visible, the "horn" behind the grip in a hook shape for more snagging and with what looks like a scope but is supposed to be a red dot sight on top.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jun 24 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0ueK8yp.png[/img]

The gun in question.

Having glanced at it, I can now wonder: Who the fuck are they writing this drek for?

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 24 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 25 2018, 12:14 AM) *
Having glanced at it, I can now wonder: Who the fuck are they writing this drek for?

Which part of it? Because this book really is three different releases:
- The standard gun book, which doesn't look bad (although I'm too hung over to crunch the stats). For example the Ares Striker as written would be a useful gun for people with hacker paranoia.
- The Future Weapons chapter, which is just as dumb as the militainment of the same name
- The Coporate Security Handbook v2, which...I don't know, I read it but there was nothing memorable about it. Except the lack of security riggers, this would have been the perfect opportunity to bring them back.

PS: What's the proper name for that "horn" extending on the back of a pistol grip?

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jun 25 2018, 02:19 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 24 2018, 06:29 PM) *
Which part of it? Because this book really is three different releases:
- The standard gun book, which doesn't look bad (although I'm too hung over to crunch the stats). For example the Ares Striker as written would be a useful gun for people with hacker paranoia.
- The Future Weapons chapter, which is just as dumb as the militainment of the same name
- The Coporate Security Handbook v2, which...I don't know, I read it but there was nothing memorable about it. Except the lack of security riggers, this would have been the perfect opportunity to bring them back.

PS: What's the proper name for that "horn" extending on the back of a pistol grip?

Beavertail. It's to keep the web of your hand out of the slide's way so it doesn't bite you when shooting. Alternatively it's to catch on your shirt when you try to draw quickly from a belt holster or innerwaistband concealed holster. Assuming you can somehow successfully holster a full-sized pistol with a scope attached to the slide of a goddamn recoil operated pistol.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jun 25 2018, 03:29 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 24 2018, 09:19 PM) *
Beavertail. It's to keep the web of your hand out of the slide's way so it doesn't bite you when shooting. Alternatively it's to catch on your shirt when you try to draw quickly from a belt holster or innerwaistband concealed holster. Assuming you can somehow successfully holster a full-sized pistol with a scope attached to the slide of a goddamn recoil operated pistol.

Never understood the reason for a red dot sight on a pistol. Figured it was someone in the marketing division that did it to increase sales. I on the other hand put a grip activated laser sight under the barrel.

+Quote Post
Sascha Morlok
post Jun 25 2018, 07:03 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 200,271

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 25 2018, 01:29 AM) *
- The Coporate Security Handbook v2, which...I don't know, I read it but there was nothing memorable about it.

Good, so you don't remember they degraded S-K Prime from an intelligence service to the grunts with the guns ant the front gate...

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 26 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Sascha Morlok @ Jun 25 2018, 09:03 AM) *
Good, so you don't remember they degraded S-K Prime from an intelligence service to the grunts with the guns ant the front gate...

To be fair, it wouldn't be completely unfeasible to have SK Prime take control of all corpsec matters. They've always had state security in their portfolio, with the recent downgrade of S-K to 2nd place Big L could decide that a little more repression is in order and therefore put his regular beat cops under control of the secret police.

But if S-K Prime had indeed expanded their duties, this very section would have been the place to tell us. Instead the author obviously assumed that it had always been that way.

+Quote Post
Sascha Morlok
post Jun 26 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 200,271

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 26 2018, 03:38 PM) *
To be fair, it wouldn't be completely unfeasible to have SK Prime take control of all corpsec matters. They've always had state security in their portfolio, with the recent downgrade of S-K to 2nd place Big L could decide that a little more repression is in order and therefore put his regular beat cops under control of the secret police.

But if S-K Prime had indeed expanded their duties, this very section would have been the place to tell us. Instead the author obviously assumed that it had always been that way.

To be fair, there was a S-K Prime and corpsec writeup in Market Panic, which is set after its downgrade and list both as separate entities. The Author responsible for the SL writeup had apparently no clue what S-K Prime is.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 1 2018, 12:30 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I guess nothing says "street" like ray-guns, force fields, and space ships.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 2 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Sascha Morlok @ Jun 26 2018, 06:58 PM) *
The Author responsible for the SL writeup had apparently no clue what S-K Prime is.

Certainly, all I'm saying is that if told correctly, the idea of S-K prime taking over all policing would make some sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.