> SR 5 question wrt adept power smashing blow
Yurick Anabasis
post Mar 11 2019, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 221,566

Hi there....

Long time shadowy lurker, first time poster/caster (well not counting my add to runners looking for Johnsons) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Smashing Blow adept power does not have any prerequisite for Killing Hands.

However in the barrier part it says that barriers ignore stun damage...

So the question is if want to use this power do I need to have Killing Hands active as well...? Any other tricks to turn unarmed stun to physical to circumvent blowing a PP on Killing Hands just for that?

2 friggin powerpoints to become Kool Aid Man is unkoolly impenetrable ... And the Shark Mentor Sprit that gives killing hands for free comes with its own unique set of.... mmm.... hurdles...

Gratuitiously violent and shamelessly unrelated plug that if anybody has a SR PBP game with open spots, I am looking for a game...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Mar 13 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 37,075

Interesting question. I hadn't considered that, but all of my adepts with Smashing Blow have had something to make their unarmed damage Physical instead of Stun.

As a GM, I would allow the use of the Harder Knock called shot (SR5, p. 195) to convert Stun to Physical and thus allow the barrier to be affected.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 15 2019, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

Remember there are other ways to gain P damage: Cyberlimbs, called shots, hardliner gloves...

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Mar 17 2019, 01:07 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 37,075

It's also best to use some common sense. Otherwise you could come to the conclusion that someone couldn't break a window with their elbow because the glass is technically a barrier and the elbow only does Stun damage. Don't get too caught up in the technicalities; given the price of the power it would be reasonable to say that Smashing Blow automatically assumes that all barriers can be affected.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 17 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Mar 17 2019, 02:07 AM) *
It's also best to use some common sense. Otherwise you could come to the conclusion that someone couldn't break a window with their elbow because the glass is technically a barrier and the elbow only does Stun damage.

That's a bad example, because breaking windows really is a lot harder than people imagine, even if you have something that would certainly deal physical damage per SR rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.