IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Shadowrun Inspirations Thread, I can't find any of the old ones to post in, so...
Iduno
post Mar 11 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,812

I've seen a few older movies that fit in well with Shadowrun, so let's discuss what makes a useful inspiration.

Casablanca and Maltese Falcon are pretty good movies, but starring a single character trying to get the most out of a situation means you're just taking the theme (or the bait-and-switch ideas). Also, great characterization.

The Sting is what a face does, or wants to do. If you do runs that focus on a single character's interests and skills from time-to-time (everyone getting a side mission is a fun way to dive into backstories and motivations), this is a good inspiration.

The main issue I find with using inspirations wholesale is too many of the shows focus on one character, while the game focuses on a group. Also, the threat of violence generally becomes actual violence. 2 counter-examples:

Heat stars a single character from each of 2 teams working on opposite sides of a heist. Hitting the truck focuses on tactics and planning the players could use, if that was a thing players did. Being sold security plans for a building they can profit off of if they figure out how to exploit thing is a thing the GM could do. Especially if you can find architectural drawings for a building that have utilities shown on them. Throw in a few security features, and you're good to go.

It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia is funny. It's also good for a lighter style of game, less competent characters (if everyone wants that), or to change up one-offs. It stars 4 or 5 selfish idiots (about the same as most gaming tables) hatching stupid schemes that never quite work right, and the fallout from them. Season 10 episode 4 - Charlie Work feels like it would be a great inspiration for a mashup of Betrayal at House on the Hill and Shadowrun, with 2 conflicting plans with incomplete knowledge on both sides. Vary the specifics, but one person trying to solve a problem while the rest of the group has another plan, and the successes of one are setbacks for the other would be a fun (once), chaotic run. This show is highly group dependent (more beer and peanuts than serious), but also works for stories about other groups of runners in town. Also, like a game of Paranoia, the strength and weakness is that you can get your players to do a lot of the "creating conflict" part of GMing.

Edit: For characterization most stories are easy. Any story with a witch main character works well for mages (wizards don't work for Shadowrun mages, at least based on the examples I have off the top of my head), faces are grifters (Hustle, or similar shows and movies), literally any action star can be a street sam, and bad 80's/90's VR movies all work for deckers. Gentleman thieves used to be common in media as well, and fit some character types. Setting for me is mostly "watch Bladerunner and/or 5th Element city scenes."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Mar 13 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Which is why I liked the TV series Leverage as it gave a pretty good spread to the whole crew.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Mar 18 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Mar 13 2019, 08:58 AM) *
Which is why I liked the TV series Leverage as it gave a pretty good spread to the whole crew.

Also a very good show, until the last few episodes.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Mar 20 2019, 05:50 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,002

..My favorite movie for SR inspirayion is: Ronin..

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Mar 30 2019, 09:15 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

I've directly converted most of the Payday/Payday2 heists to Shadowruns. They're absolutely on for SR's usual formula of 'stealth B&E that likely degrades into a firefight'.

That said:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - This is a great primer on how a street ganger becomes a street sam.
Mean Guns - Battle Royale before Battle Royale was even a thing, and a great plot for SR.
Dead Man - Early Johnny Depp movie with a lot of native American spirituality and vision quest elements that are quite good for SR.
Escape from LA - You know this is what Pink Mohawk SR's Barrens look like.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Apr 17 2019, 01:24 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 30 2019, 04:15 AM) *
I've directly converted most of the Payday/Payday2 heists to Shadowruns. They're absolutely on for SR's usual formula of 'stealth B&E that likely degrades into a firefight'.

That said:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - This is a great primer on how a street ganger becomes a street sam.
Mean Guns - Battle Royale before Battle Royale was even a thing, and a great plot for SR.
Dead Man - Early Johnny Depp movie with a lot of native American spirituality and vision quest elements that are quite good for SR.
Escape from LA - You know this is what Pink Mohawk SR's Barrens look like.

Some good ones for me to watch/rewatch.

Matchstick Men has several suggestions of how a Face could operate. The betrayal part would need a GM's assistance and an understanding group. Not advised.
Snach is the way the run will probably turn out.

QUOTE (Stingray @ Mar 20 2019, 12:50 AM) *

DeNiro did a lot of good stuff for SR. Also, several bad comedies.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Apr 18 2019, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

I really think my next character is going to be based on Falling Down. Just a corper who has finally hit the end of his ability to cope and throws all the social rules out the window to become a runner. Hates Ares. With a burning passion.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Apr 19 2019, 01:02 AM
Post #8

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Apr 19 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,944

Streets of Fire
Lockdown
All of the Oceans X series
Firefly
Johnny Mnemonic

+Quote Post
Iduno
post May 1 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

I still agree with this, but Michael Lonsdale's character looks and sounds a bit like the old man (Peter Ustinov) from Logan's Run. Which, I guess being hired to stop people who believe that your employer is lying about X, only to find proof of it is an interesting Shadowrun story.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post May 3 2019, 07:23 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

The Italian Job (1963) needs a few tweaks (you'd bring your own decker), but would make an entertaining campaign. It's...not the starting heist in Heat.

Friend is in dead, fixer who they have to break into prison to talk to doesn't want to work with them, they're in a new place with little equipment, and they need to prepare for the heist. Add the heist, and you've got 5 different things to deal with, 7 main runs easy. Add in needing money for things until the fixer changes his mind and decides to help, and you've got a campaign. Also, unloading the car(s) from the car carrier at the start of the heist is almost as good as loading/unloading from a moving semi.

Probably more bullets and fewer people in the team, but an appropriate amount of humor.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post May 6 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Apr 19 2019, 05:22 PM) *
All of the Oceans X series

The start of Ocean's 8 is a nice help with my idea for a face/trickster shaman type. Possibly based on the same story of the woman who lived it up in hotels by appearing to be some rich celebrity type. Being known for being well-known.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.