Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the hot take on 6E?
Tanegar
post Jul 5 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

I've read a couple posts on shadowrunsixthworld.com, but that's the extent to which I've followed 6E. Anytime somebody mentions "streamlining" in the context of TTRPGs, I get the willies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 5 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Not looking like something I'll enjoy more than 5th (which I didn't) so far, but I'll not condemn it before I've actually seen it.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 6 2019, 04:10 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i've yet to see anything that persuades me it is going to be an upgrade that i'll ultimately want to make. i'm not so disappointed that i'm not going to buy the core book to get a better look, but i'm also not excited.

that isn't to say that you won't like the changes they make, of course.

you may find this useful:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZPN1-6x...CQI8s5rJU/edit#

it isn't 6e at a glance by any means, but it should help you catch up on what we've been able to glean from the various previews and such.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 6 2019, 05:42 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Same writers and lead as 5e, same lack of playtests outside the studio and lack of feedback, so most likely the same set of problems 5e has only in a new shell.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 13 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Hot take? Feeling cold here, and no anticipation at all for the new edition.

+Quote Post
Nstol_wisper
post Jul 13 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 221,647

Without the full core rules out as yet?
I'll say based on reviews of previous versions, some of which I agree with......
Combat was a bit too complex and time consuming in 4e and 5e. Matrix actions from 4e, the same. They have addressed that in the upcoming edition.
I can't say for sure now, without the full rules but Sixth World feels like update of 5e more than anything else.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 14 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

I'd like to update my hot take further downwards now that the QSR is out and CGL's 'editors' failed at proofing so hard that multiple spell cards have the wrong spell text.

This got through both editing before sending to the printers -and- reading the print proofs before okaying them for production.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Jul 14 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Business as usual, then.

+Quote Post
Nstol_wisper
post Jul 15 2019, 11:10 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

They released so many versions of the Core Rulebook for 5e. I don't think they mean to do that again.
A release cycle like that can be meant to preview a change in editing policy.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 15 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

What is 'meant' to be or not the Quick Start release is awful for it's errors and odds are they are going to show up elsewhere too.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 16 2019, 05:13 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Nstol_wisper @ Jul 15 2019, 05:10 AM) *
They released so many versions of the Core Rulebook for 5e. I don't think they mean to do that again.
A release cycle like that can be meant to preview a change in editing policy.

And yet they still never managed to correct basic proofreading mistakes like page references we pointed out within 24 hours of the release of the PDF, seven years ago.

The same sort of amateur editing mistake that the SR6 Quickstart is rife with.

+Quote Post
tete
post Jul 17 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

Soft buy for me. If your expecting better rigger rules you will be disappointed. Everything else is either a neutral or a positive over 5e for me. But I liked 2e, 3e and 4e better than 5e soo.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 18 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #13

The King In Yellow

So riggers are even more fucked in 6 than in 5?

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 18 2019, 05:32 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Hermit, just embrace the nostalgic truth that is 3rd edition or even 4th if that's your poison. Retro is IN with a lot of RPGs right now, even with the ones with good new editions as people are playing across the board.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 19 2019, 02:59 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

yeah, i'm seeing nothing so far that would make me want to move to 6th edition.

the real problem will be for people that have gaming groups that want the latest edition, because they believe it will actually be better.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 19 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

Hermit, just embrace the nostalgic truth that is 3rd edition or even 4th if that's your poison. Retro is IN with a lot of RPGs right now, even with the ones with good new editions as people are playing across the board.

It's what I've been doing ever since the playtest for 5th ended. 4th because most of my people prefer it, though personally 3 was the shit, rigger wise. MIJI was so much cooler than EMPing, hacking, or starting with 5th, "bricking" drones without any chance to defend (which then theatrically explode and after that find a safe spot to tough down and do so, on autogyro and without any active guidance).

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Jul 19 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,812

QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jul 18 2019, 12:32 PM) *

And yet I haven't heard of a modern retro game that is as good as the old versions. The people they let design games assume "retro" means "ignore basic game design and don't let players do anything interesting" or "just don't have any real rules."

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 19 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

I mean that things like AD&D 2e, Deadlands Classic and so on are proving to be popular and look at the resurgence of CP2020 even with RED on the horizon. People are getting back into the 90s stuff (and earlier) even as good modern games also take off.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 20 2019, 04:34 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Can't beat the classics, eh?

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 20 2019, 05:58 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Seemingly not. I suppose a saturation of Streamlined and Abstract in the market have had some people looking for "Gritty / Crunchy" and finding the stuff that many of us cut our teeth on 20+ years ago.

+Quote Post
Koekepan
post Jul 20 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 52,483

Probably mentioned before, but one relatively recent entrant that I've come to really like and respect is Hackmaster 5.

They hit the right balance: crunchy chargen, because you're precalculating all the things that you'll need during play, resulting in very smooth in-game action.

Plus it's brutal, it's old-school, and there are no gloves to come off.

+Quote Post
Nstol_wisper
post Jul 20 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jul 19 2019, 12:30 PM) *
I mean that things like AD&D 2e, Deadlands Classic and so on are proving to be popular and look at the resurgence of CP2020 even with RED on the horizon. People are getting back into the 90s stuff (and earlier) even as good modern games also take off.

To me it seems that the 90's meant people for the most part only played AD&D, or played a combination of other systems.
And the non-AD&D crowd liked to experiment with mixing the rules of various games to create one complete system. Many of those games were very class driven with little attention to much else, or most of the ruleset was combat and little else.
I myself prefer a complex ruleset to home rule rather than a simple ruleset to add to. In AD&D 2nd Edition we would do things like allow muliple attacks that happened in the second round to be changed to extra movement. Which when I think about it, looks a little like the Major/Minor actions in Sixth World.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Jul 21 2019, 07:41 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Almost like they were simple and complex actions. A new name does not a new mechanic make.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 21 2019, 09:56 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nstol_wisper @ Jul 20 2019, 11:21 PM) *
To me it seems that the 90's meant people for the most part only played AD&D, or played a combination of other systems.
And the non-AD&D crowd liked to experiment with mixing the rules of various games to create one complete system. Many of those games were very class driven with little attention to much else, or most of the ruleset was combat and little else.
I myself prefer a complex ruleset to home rule rather than a simple ruleset to add to. In AD&D 2nd Edition we would do things like allow muliple attacks that happened in the second round to be changed to extra movement. Which when I think about it, looks a little like the Major/Minor actions in Sixth World.

Most of the stuff I saw being done in the 90s was a move away from Class systems with Archetypes becoming the norm. Combat has always eaten up space because of all the things in an RPG it's the one with most immediate consequence rolls but the focus on many of the games, Shadowrun being a classic example, had moved away from the fighting and everything that is being done outside the combat. Good example being in SR3 where combat is a fair presence in the main book but outside of that, almost nothing.

+Quote Post
tete
post Jul 21 2019, 03:46 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 18 2019, 05:55 PM) *
So riggers are even more fucked in 6 than in 5?

By the quickstart yes, but they admit the rules aren't complete enough to include a rigger in the quick start (seportate download for the pregen rigger from the quickstart and not recommended for play) . There is a very familiar maneuver score ish chart and then there isnt really even enough rules to use the drones. I dont know why they even bothered to include the section. So I suspect the full rules will be no worse than 5e but for right now riggers are fucked.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.