Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR Knockoff Kickstarter, Or: So Now We Now What Hardy Has Been Doing
binarywraith
post Jul 18 2019, 03:24 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,659

So this came out this week, and I haven't stopped laughing since.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/remalt...shadows-trailer

"This Kickstarter is designed to fund a 5 minute live-action trailer for our cyberpunk-fantasy series. Think Bladerunner meets the Matrix meets Lord of the Rings!

Our intent is to build our proof of concept, demonstrate our quality and capabilities, and to recruit a following for our true goal – a full season of "Chicago Shadows." With our community (you!) at the core, we will produce a dynamic, six episode serial story for “Chicago Shadows"...and that's just season one. "

A full on-webseries that is a Shadowrun knockoff is understandable, but then you look at the people involved and a trend appears:

Sara Krause - Exec Producer : Did the Doomsday video for SR6
Scott Schletz - Head Scriptwriter : Wrote for Shadowrun Chronicles
O.C. Presely - Scriptwriter : Runs the Neo-Anarchist podcast and has written for several SR books.
Jon Helfers - Script editor: CGL editor on SR and BT
Clifton Wright - Composer : AKA Mr. Johnson of Arcology Podcast
Jason Fucking Hardy - Consultant : SR Line Developer doing this instead of addressing why his brand new edition of the game is a total mess.

Oh, and if you want to drop 2500 bucks, you can come be an extra on set handling your own travel, accommodations, and food!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Jul 18 2019, 06:56 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 51,886

Fun. I would report this project, but apparently you can only do that if you're the copyright holder.
Maybe it's time to drop an e-mail to Topps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

From the FAQ:
Oh, so it’s Shadowrun!
Like Shadowrun, our project will make use of both fantasy and cyberpunk in telling our story, but it is not Shadowrun. Shadowrun is a very specific intellectual property and as one of the most well-known—not to mention beloved—example of the genre, we accept that there will be a fair bit of comparison drawn between us. We think Shadowrun is a fantastic setting and many of our creators come from that community, but we are not creating Shadowrun-based content at this time.
Further, we believe that all communities focused around fantasy cyberpunk or similar genres, such as steampunk, can benefit from greater visibility.

+Quote Post
Nstol_wisper
post Jul 18 2019, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 221,647

Hmmm...What to say....What...to... say.....

Everyone have a great summer and enjoy Shadowrun when it comes out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beret.gif)

+Quote Post
Nstol_wisper
post Jul 18 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

And I meant to say "Shadowrun: Sixth World", but I forgot before..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 18 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

I don;t have to wait to enjoy Shadowrun, I've had 3rd edition for years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 18 2019, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jul 18 2019, 01:56 AM) *
Fun. I would report this project, but apparently you can only do that if you're the copyright holder.
Maybe it's time to drop an e-mail to Topps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

From the FAQ:

There's another point I'm still laughing at as well, they're about 15 years too late to give 'visibility' to Steampunk. It's a trend that's mostly passed.

QUOTE (Nstol_wisper @ Jul 18 2019, 05:13 AM) *
Hmmm...What to say....What...to... say.....

Everyone have a great summer and enjoy Shadowrun when it comes out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beret.gif)

So serious question, did you register solely to defend 6e?

+Quote Post
Koekepan
post Jul 18 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 52,483

It's not Shadowrun.

It's GURPS.

... what is a GURPS movie like? ANYTHING YOU WANT!

No, seriously, I'm on the side of this project and its backers. Fantasy + high technology has a longish history in literature as well, by now, and Shadowrun is far from the only IP holder in the field.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 18 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

Pretty sure that is the case there Binarywraith

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 18 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

I'm not seeing a reason for all that bile...a bunch of fans are making a fan movie about their campaign, and they are smart enough to file off the the IP serial numbers. Where's the problem?

And then there's Hardy. Because this project is just people playing their characters in their campaign setting, there's little he can consult on, seems like a job he can do. On the other hand, the producers get some visibility from it, and if the line dev does not feel infringed, it gets harder to argue IP infringement. Again, where's the problem? Do you think JMH would do a decent job of 6th Ed (or at least fix the obvious mistakes), if only he had more free time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jul 18 2019, 08:56 AM) *

Sure, because more legal bullying over genre tropes and pauldron sizes is exactly what this world needs...

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 18 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Plus it is a proof of concept

If it garners enough interest and financial support, the number crunchers upstairs might consider doing something more official of their own to cash in on it.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 18 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 18 2019, 04:01 PM) *
I'm not seeing a reason for all that bile...a bunch of fans are making a fan movie about their campaign, and they are smart enough to file off the the IP serial numbers. Where's the problem?

And then there's Hardy. Because this project is just people playing their characters in their campaign setting, there's little he can consult on, seems like a job he can do. On the other hand, the producers get some visibility from it, and if the line dev does not feel infringed, it gets harder to argue IP infringement. Again, where's the problem? Do you think JMH would do a decent job of 6th Ed (or at least fix the obvious mistakes), if only he had more free time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sure, because more legal bullying over genre tropes and pauldron sizes is exactly what this world needs...

It's not a bunch of fans. Three quarters of the staff listed are current or former cgl employees and cgl is shilling this on their facebook.

+Quote Post
Nstol_wisper
post Jul 18 2019, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Historically in the game industry, many people go off to form their own companies after leaving the original development firm.
You don't see it lately though for some reason. I think it is the more mature definition of Intellectual Property. More defined means more protections by people who happen to own rights. The entire trademark may or may not fall under an IP definition but it's gotten harder to move IP for IP's sake. A product must be moved.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Jul 19 2019, 06:53 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 18 2019, 11:01 PM) *

Just as much as the world needs SR6, I'd say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
You might be right though, and of course I'd need to care what they do with their IP to actually do something about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Jul 19 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,812

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 18 2019, 08:05 AM) *
There's another point I'm still laughing at as well, they're about 15 years too late to give 'visibility' to Steampunk. It's a trend that's mostly passed.

So serious question, did you register solely to defend 6e?

Yeah, it's not subtle, but it's also a really bad job of astroturfing.

+Quote Post
AquaBlack0B
post Jul 19 2019, 05:17 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 221,644

Not really something I'd be interested in backing.

I don't see any copyright issues- they're not adapting any more ideas from Shadowrun than Shadowrun did from Gibson. If anything, at least they're changing out the terms a little bit more than SR did (ICE vs IC, Street sam vs Street sam...). Honestly, I think they'd be better off not referring to SR at all in their faq (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

It seems a bit icky to hate on it just because of Hardy's involvement.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 20 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 18 2019, 11:55 PM) *
It's not a bunch of fans. Three quarters of the staff listed are current or former cgl employees

Employees? This isn't the 1980s when TSR had dozens of full-time employees, writing for RPGs mostly is a gig done by people who are doing it despite the ridiculously bad pay because they love the game.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 20 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

despite the ridiculously bad pay

In the US such pay is pretty normal outside corporate or top university jobs. Just another shitty gig economy mini job for them, and it kinda shows in their dedication to the setting.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Jul 22 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,812

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 17 2019, 10:24 PM) *
So this came out this week, and I haven't stopped laughing since.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/remalt...shadows-trailer

"This Kickstarter is designed to fund a 5 minute live-action trailer for our cyberpunk-fantasy series. Think Bladerunner meets the Matrix meets Lord of the Rings!

Our intent is to build our proof of concept, demonstrate our quality and capabilities, and to recruit a following for our true goal – a full season of "Chicago Shadows." With our community (you!) at the core, we will produce a dynamic, six episode serial story for “Chicago Shadows"...and that's just season one. "

A full on-webseries that is a Shadowrun knockoff is understandable, but then you look at the people involved and a trend appears:

Sara Krause - Exec Producer : Did the Doomsday video for SR6
Scott Schletz - Head Scriptwriter : Wrote for Shadowrun Chronicles
O.C. Presely - Scriptwriter : Runs the Neo-Anarchist podcast and has written for several SR books.
Jon Helfers - Script editor: CGL editor on SR and BT
Clifton Wright - Composer : AKA Mr. Johnson of Arcology Podcast
Jason Fucking Hardy - Consultant : SR Line Developer doing this instead of addressing why his brand new edition of the game is a total mess.

Oh, and if you want to drop 2500 bucks, you can come be an extra on set handling your own travel, accommodations, and food!

Why's the budget so high? The special effects look like they're made in MS Paint.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.