IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not exactly Shadowrun, But still using the SR3 rules...
Catsnightmare
post Oct 11 2019, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

So for those of you who don't know me, know that I have almost no familiarity/knowledge/frame of reference of 4th or later editions.

That said, I'm toying with the idea of running a modern day world setting campaign using SR3 rules in basically the world setting of the TV show Person of Interest.
I happen to like the Priority System of character generation, but since this will be a non-magic world setting, I'm looking for suggestions/ideas of what priorities to replace Magic and Race with?

My initial thoughts was to replace Magic with Contacts. So instead of spending Resources on Contacts you get an approximate value to spend on people you know based on the priority chosen. (Don't worry, even without spending on contacts or cyberware I will have plenty of other things to blow starting resources on).
As for Race, I'm toying with the idea of giving points worth of Edges based on the priority level. Tentatively its (E = No edges, D=2 points of Edges, C=4 points of Edges, B=6 points of Edges) Along with the option to take more Edge points by taking Flaws (within some limits).

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Remnar
post Oct 12 2019, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,261

Sounds fun. Can't think of any suggestions off hand.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Oct 13 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

Use Beck v2, the karma gen système of Betyaga.

It's very effective and solves your race and magic problem.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Oct 13 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

I'll second this. Get rid of priority altogether for a fairer and more granular system that's equal for every character.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Oct 14 2019, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

BeCKS?! Oh hell no, that's math!
Not only that, I got 8 players! No way is my dyscalculic brain going to able to handle double checking of BeCKS math for errors/honesty of 8 people!

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Oct 14 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

That's why you use a character creation tool.

Furthermore: You're playing the wrong game (and the wrong edition) if you're scared of math and you have about twice as many players as is healthy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Oct 15 2019, 09:05 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Don't know about that, I seem to be handling it ok right now in a regular rules SR3 game. 7 characters (one player already familiar and had character ready) all made with priority, 3 with the 1Million Nuyen priority even, wasn't that hard. Nor has been keeping the group play balanced. While not everyone shines every play session, everyone gets a turn in the spotlight doing what they do best at least every other play session.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Oct 16 2019, 12:35 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

Personnally, I think Shadowrun 3 isn't the right ruleset to use anyway.

1-Skills : Skills remain very Shadowrun centric, which leaves you with a narrow skillset. You got no samourai so heavy weapons won't be the norm (thus Pistols skill is enough), Etiquette is SR centric (so you got only Negociation andIntimidation as social skills), rigging doesn't exist so Exit the multiple vehicles skills (cars at best), Athletics and maybe Stealth as usefull ones, no magic and so on.
So just 5 skills in total for every character.

2-initiave limited to 1d6 + Reaction : better max up to get 6 Reaction. You can, since you get 0 field to spend points too.

3-Especially since Shadowrun is a game where Equipment matters. That's not the case for what you have in mind.

So, I guess that if you want to stick with SR3 ruleset and priority, fix the order with Attributes A, Skills B, Money C, and leave the remain priorities. But IMO, it would need a deeper overhaul :

> Reajusting numbers for starting character
> Expending skill list.
> Maybe dropping multiple initiative pass to even out "Reaction"'s power.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Oct 22 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

1-Skills : Easy fix, break up the Etiquette specializations into separate skills, (Corporate, Police, High Society, Street, Organized Crime, Etc). On weapons skills, I disagree somewhat, submachineguns will come into play a bit, as well as rifles and shotguns, and maybe even assault rifles when the shit hits the fan, but heavy weapons and launch weapons I agree will be less so. If it comes down to it I can break up pistols into separate categories, Revolvers, Autopistols and Machine Pistols. Vehicles isn't even an issue. Stealth specializations are getting broken down into separate skills as well. Also using the advanced unarmed combat/martial arts rules from the Cannon Companion (so more skill points spent on Maneuvers)

2- Initiative: That's where some of the Edges priority come into play. There's plans for new Edges that will allow for limited exploding sixes on Initiative, bonuses to Reaction during certain situations etc.

3- Equipment matters. Oh that very much so is the case here as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.