IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tír na nÓg vs the IRA, Bit of a lore question.
FuelDrop
post May 29 2020, 02:01 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

So Tír na nÓg has replaced the former country of Ireland, and I cannot imagine that the Irish were universally thrilled at their new elven overlords.

I kinda imagine that the IRA or similar would come back into being. Is there any canon on this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post May 29 2020, 07:01 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Weeeeell. The IRA was at some point pretty full of elves, who then split off and cut a deal with the new regime, and then became the secret police of Tír na nÓg, if I remember correctly.
The splinter group might still be active.

I'd have to look it up if you want more information.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post May 29 2020, 07:05 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (bannockburn @ May 29 2020, 03:01 PM) *
Weeeeell. The IRA was at some point pretty full of elves, who then split off and cut a deal with the new regime, and then became the secret police of Tír na nÓg, if I remember correctly.
The splinter group might still be active.

I'd have to look it up if you want more information.

Thanks for the info. Will research from there.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post May 29 2020, 08:03 AM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Don't forget the Knights of the Red Branch were formed from Irish immigrants who left Ireland when it became Tír na nÓg, refugees who fled the island, and those whom were forced out.
Imagine more than a few IRA fell somewhere in here, especially the latter as they would have probably tried to stay and fight, but were ejected because the splinter might have ID'd them for ejection.

+Quote Post
Blade
post May 29 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

The first President of Tír na nÓg was Liam O'Connor who was a leader of the Provisional IRA.

In any case, I still have trouble with the whole concept of Elven nations that appeared when the vast majority of elves were, at most, 23 years old.

+Quote Post
Link
post May 29 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

The London Sourcebook notes troubles with Ulster Unionists who probably resent the Tir far more than the IRA might. This is in the early 50's, I'm not sure how it has progressed.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post May 29 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

QUOTE (Blade @ May 29 2020, 03:47 PM) *
In any case, I still have trouble with the whole concept of Elven nations that appeared when the vast majority of elves were, at most, 23 years old.

Spike Babies, Spike Babies everywhere! And absolutely none of those weird immortals everyone keeps conspiring about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 31 2020, 11:13 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (bannockburn @ May 29 2020, 09:01 AM) *

More or less. When O'Connor revealed being an elf, most humans split of and formed an "Official IRA" (despite that name beaing already taken). The remaining Provisional IRA became part of the Tir Republican Force, their secret police...despite the core tenet of the IRA being that they are the legitimate army of the Irish Republic.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jun 2 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

Yeah, Immortals who'd make some of the GDs think twice - Spike babies and probably a stack of background groundwork for when mana went up again.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jun 25 2020, 02:02 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

While reading this post, I just realized there's a whole generation of people who literally have no idea what the Troubles were and the immediate "Uuuuuyeh, this is going to be....tricky...to implement" thoughts on the whole Irish problem.

Irish problem as in the whole Tir thing. Not the "Irish Problem".

And also just realized that they also don't know the joys of the cold war and what a wall that divides a nation can mean.
Uh, unless you're on a Mexican border. Or in San-Fran.

-Tir.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.