IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's all getting a little bit mental in the US of A...
Kren Cooper
post Jun 1 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Wordsmith

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,740

First of all - I mean this in *no way* to lighten the number of deaths, injuries, tragic events or abuses of power that are going on at the moment. That shit needs to stop.

But... with the dumpster fire that is the US, going into what looks like apocalyptic levels of dissent, riots, protests and authoritan state knee jerk backlash... all I want to say is if we see some charismatic first nation dude telling Trump, he needs to stop - or else. Well, hang on to your hats, because shit is about to get *real interesting*. We missed our dragons, and things are running late - but maybe that's just so they could build up a head of steam. Head away from the fault lines, because if they kick off the Ghost Dance now, it's gonna be epic.

This from a viewer in the UK - who's on the outside looking in, wondering just who spilt the truck load of crazy pills. And I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say we're not doing any better with our lot of political slinkies and their handling of C19 and our economy. Thankfully we have hardly any guns (civilian or police) and after the last couple of years where we've had sizeable (million+ people) protests descending on London and making their displeasure known, I think the our lot are *slightly* more grounded in reality.

But still... strange times.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jun 2 2020, 03:55 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,653

A bit of philosophy I read in a piece of fiction, and years ago during a discussion on an experiment of a self destructing society model that took generations to cycle:

Not all explosions are resolved in less than a second.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 2 2020, 03:59 AM
Post #3

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

In the Americas, between roughly 800 CE and 1000 CE, it was as if the Hand of God swept across the continents, one civilization after another self-destructing as the ordinary folks got fed up with the ones in power, and burned everything down- palaces, temples, everything.

Maybe there is a cycle to these things.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jun 4 2020, 03:47 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Kren Cooper @ Jun 1 2020, 03:10 PM) *
But... with the dumpster fire that is the US, going into what looks like apocalyptic levels of dissent, riots, protests and authoritan state knee jerk backlash... all I want to say is if we see some charismatic first nation dude telling Trump, he needs to stop - or else.

Yeah, it's a dumpster fire over here, but honestly, why all the hate for Trump? No one, and I mean NO ONE, criticized He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Blamed (Obama) when Ferguson happened and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Blamed sent in the National Guard. Now because it's "ORANGE MAN BAD!" who's in charge, we're not suppose to deal with it?
As for "some charismatic first nation dude", who would you suggest? They're all dirtbags. Hell, Trump fragged up when he allowed 40,000 people to come back from areas that were the hot spot of the Kung-Flu virus, and NOT quarantining them for at least 3 weeks. If I was in charge at that time, I would have flown them to Edwards Air Force Base, then put them on buses to a desert facility with FEMA trailers, and let them sit there for 3 weeks. I would have also locked down Edwards to ensure no one got in or out.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 4 2020, 03:58 AM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

*deleted*

EDIT: Sorry. Mistook this thread for mine.

+Quote Post
freudqo
post Jun 4 2020, 06:35 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 52,307

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 4 2020, 03:47 AM) *
Yeah, it's a dumpster fire over here, but honestly, why all the hate for Trump? No one, and I mean NO ONE, criticized He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Blamed (Obama) when Ferguson happened and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Blamed sent in the National Guard. Now because it's "ORANGE MAN BAD!" who's in charge, we're not suppose to deal with it?

Yeah really I understand your surprise. Who would have thought that when you're a politician, your speeches, justifications, preceding acts, the ideas you defend, your general attitude over racism, would have any influence to how people judge the way you quench social unrest.

And that would even be acknowledging that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE criticized Obama for sending the national guard to Ferguson. That is certainly very false.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 6 2020, 01:04 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 4 2020, 05:47 AM) *
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Blamed sent in the National Guard.

I'm pretty sure the governor of Missouri wasn't called Obama (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

NOT quarantining them for at least 3 weeks

By the time in mid march when every country was hastily repatriating its citizens that ship had long sailed...at that point quarantining arrivals was like Ares screening new hires for bug infestation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jun 6 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 4 2020, 11:47 AM) *
As for "some charismatic first nation dude", who would you suggest? They're all dirtbags. Hell, Trump fragged up when he allowed 40,000 people to come back from areas that were the hot spot of the Kung-Flu virus, and NOT quarantining them for at least 3 weeks. If I was in charge at that time, I would have flown them to Edwards Air Force Base, then put them on buses to a desert facility with FEMA trailers, and let them sit there for 3 weeks. I would have also locked down Edwards to ensure no one got in or out.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Trump, both as a person and as a President, but in this instance the problem is that he is attempting to use brute force and escalate the situation with threats rather than taking the issues seriously and attempting to make a deal.

By his own telling, making a deal is kinda his thing isn't it? He had his name put on a book about it. But here, where he has a chance to shine, his go to solution is to call for more violence.

That's like the Face specced for maxed out Negotiate trying to use Intimidate instead of Negotiate during a tense situation on the brink of violence: even if it works, no-one is going to be happy with it and the group is gonna be asking the Face "What the hell man?!?", and they'd be right to.

Obama gets let off the hook for way to many things. War crimes. Extrajudicial killing of US citizens on foreign soil via drones. That sort of thing. But if you look you'll find people who absolutely talk about those things and criticize him for them. But Obama isn't President right now. Trump is. This situation was practically tailored for his touted skillset, but he never even tried to utilize it.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jun 7 2020, 06:25 AM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 4 2020, 05:47 AM) *
Yeah, it's a dumpster fire over here, but honestly, why all the hate for Trump?

True, he's an important lesson for the history impaired.

Also, he makes a great example that Shadowrun history is not that far-fetched.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 1 2020, 09:05 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 7 2020, 12:25 AM) *
Also, he makes a great example that Shadowrun history is not that far-fetched.

I mean there's an anarchist autonomous zone in the middle of Seattle right now, and has been for just short of a month running.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 1 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Luckily, SpaceX boosters don't look impressive enough for Redmond.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 1 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 1 2020, 04:05 AM) *
I mean there's an anarchist autonomous zone in the middle of Seattle right now, and has been for just short of a month running.

that got scrapped this morning, but yeah.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 2 2020, 12:14 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 1 2020, 03:27 PM) *
that got scrapped this morning, but yeah.

Such was inevitable. The jackbooted thugs of capital were always going to crack down on an open challenge to their authority.

That it existed at all is a testament to the level of push-back the populace is willing to give.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 12 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

It's about jurisdiction instead of ownership and the protagonist is more Pedobear than Howling Coyote, but still... https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/sup...40fb_story.html]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.