IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrunner Amazon, Designing a black ops delivery drone for field resupply.
FuelDrop
post Oct 29 2020, 06:21 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

So I want to create a dual purpose drone.

Its first role is going to be doing a flyby of target sites for initial recon. Its second and probably more useful role is to covertly carry packages full of specialized equipment and weapons onto runs when the team runs into an obstacle that their current loadout isn't suited for.

The team does not have a dedicated rigger and has limited funds right now, so we're going to try for under 7 and a half k. doesn't need to be perfect yet, just needs to get the basics done.

So my current thoughts for the base chassis are either the MCT-Nissan Roto-drone, the Ford LEBD-1, or the Lockheed Optic-X or Kestrel. Much as I love the Air Supply, it's out of our budget for now and is a bit bulky for our covert drop machine.

The Rotordrone is fast, comes with decent sensors out the box, and is pretty cheap. The LEBD-1 is cheaper, better armoured, and has better stock upgrades, but is slower and more suspicious. It does come with a mechanical arm as standard though, and a weapon mount allowing it to also fill a fire support role.
The Optic-X is smaller and folds for ease of transport, but is slow and has no standard upgrades.
The Kestrel has a handling bonus, good acceleration but a low top speed, and comes with clearsight 1... but is kinda killed by obsolescent, which really hurts it given we don't have an actual rigger and will be relying on its dog-brain.

I think that the LEBD-1 is our best choice. Cheap, comes with a moderate amount of armour, is a medium drone so already has room for a decent sensor suite, and has both a weapon mount and a mechanical arm as stock.

Thinking upgrades wise we throw on a smoke projector so if it's spotted it can still evade small arms fire, and save some mod slots for later when we can upgrade its sensor array and chameleon coating. Gonna leave the weapon slot empty for now so that people think it's just been repurposed as a supply drone.

Sensor wise I am thinking UWB radar, Laser Microphone, Vision Magnification, and Vision Enhancement gives a decent set of recon options (can remote pilot it with command software for this part of the mission). Outside of that, it's a package delivery drone that happens to be well armoured and be able to pop smoke if shot at. Thoughts?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lionesque
post Oct 29 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 207,604

Air elementals are free? May not be very useful for scouting, but for dumping stuff where you want it, I'd think they'd be harder to identify and target than a slow, noisy and radio-frequency - broadcasting drone?

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Oct 29 2020, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Lionesque @ Oct 29 2020, 10:41 PM) *
Air elementals are free? May not be very useful for scouting, but for dumping stuff where you want it, I'd think they'd be harder to identify and target than a slow, noisy and radio-frequency - broadcasting drone?

No mage. Also we don't need the drone to be transmitting for delivery function, just receiving.

Anyway, a spirit is going to attract attention. A delivery drone? Probably not. Amazon drones are commonplace now, can you imagine how common their equivalent will be in 2070? Having a drone fly up and drop off a package is probably one of the most common sights in the 6th world thanks to matrix shopping.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 30 2020, 01:33 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 29 2020, 02:21 AM) *
Sensor wise I am thinking UWB radar, Laser Microphone, Vision Magnification, and Vision Enhancement gives a decent set of recon options (can remote pilot it with command software for this part of the mission). Outside of that, it's a package delivery drone that happens to be well armoured and be able to pop smoke if shot at. Thoughts?

I would leave the obvious weapon mount empty, but see if the GM will allow that to be re-tasked as cargo space. I mean it IS a delivery drone and some packages are bigger than a commlink. If he allows you to do that, then use that storage to carry the FUN toys. I would then, later on when you can afford it, add in a hidden weapon mount for a SMG packing Stick and Shock, you don't need this thing to carry an assault cannon. With SnS you can put down the enemy without killing them. Makes the bad guys not want to kill you in return.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Oct 31 2020, 12:17 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Oct 30 2020, 09:33 AM) *
I would leave the obvious weapon mount empty, but see if the GM will allow that to be re-tasked as cargo space. I mean it IS a delivery drone and some packages are bigger than a commlink. If he allows you to do that, then use that storage to carry the FUN toys. I would then, later on when you can afford it, add in a hidden weapon mount for a SMG packing Stick and Shock, you don't need this thing to carry an assault cannon. With SnS you can put down the enemy without killing them. Makes the bad guys not want to kill you in return.

Agreed, leaving the weapon mount empty initially is the plan. Probably going with a weapon with chameleon coating when we do put a gun on it so it appears to be unarmed even if it isn't. Though upgrading the weapon mount to concealed is probably cheaper, you're right.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Oct 31 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 29 2020, 07:21 AM) *
So I want to create a dual purpose drone.

Its first role is going to be doing a flyby of target sites for initial recon. Its second and probably more useful role is to covertly carry packages full of specialized equipment and weapons onto runs when the team runs into an obstacle that their current loadout isn't suited for.

Remember the variant rules form Arsenal - you can always swap out factory modifications:

CODE
Esprit Industries Delivery-TF1 (Federated-Boeing Kull Variant)

Based on the impeller chassis of the Esprit Industries Recon-TF1 in combination with a ballonet, this Inter&Intra-City LTA delivery drone is in direct competition with the Hermes & Sandal combination from GMC. Although the two cargo container pick-ups are still capable of dropping them, thanks to the VTOL capability, dropping (and then picking up new ones) is the method of choice.

Std. Upgrades: Lighter than Air, Special Cargo (2 exterior airdrop cargo mounts)

Medium Drones     Hand   Accel   Speed   Pilot   Body   Armor   Sens   Avail   Cost
Delivery-TF1      -1     15/75   150     3       3      0       2      4       9,200¥

CODE
MCT-Nissan Carryall (McDonnell-Douglas Nimrod Variant)

If a Kull is still too slow and cramped conditions require vertical take-off capabilities, MCT-Nissan offers with the Carryall a solution based on the proven MCT-Nissan Hellcat. By eliminating the need for heavy armour and armament, it has been possible to achieve a remarkable speed and payload, making it possible to use larger combinations instead of the standard group of small freight containers, each of which occupies more container holding points.

Std. Upgrades: Improved Takeoff and Landing 2, Special Cargo (6 exterior airdrop cargo mounts)

Heavy Drones     Hand   Accel    Speed   Pilot  Body   Armor   Sensor   Avail   Cost
Carryall         +2     50/250   1000    3      4      4       3        18      75,000¥

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Nov 1 2020, 11:49 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 31 2020, 08:50 PM) *
Remember the variant rules form Arsenal - you can always swap out factory modifications:

CODE
Esprit Industries Delivery-TF1 (Federated-Boeing Kull Variant)

Based on the impeller chassis of the Esprit Industries Recon-TF1 in combination with a ballonet, this Inter&Intra-City LTA delivery drone is in direct competition with the Hermes & Sandal combination from GMC. Although the two cargo container pick-ups are still capable of dropping them, thanks to the VTOL capability, dropping (and then picking up new ones) is the method of choice.

Std. Upgrades: Lighter than Air, Special Cargo (2 exterior airdrop cargo mounts)

Medium Drones     Hand   Accel   Speed   Pilot   Body   Armor   Sens   Avail   Cost
Delivery-TF1      -1     15/75   150     3       3      0       2      4       9,200¥

CODE
MCT-Nissan Carryall (McDonnell-Douglas Nimrod Variant)

If a Kull is still too slow and cramped conditions require vertical take-off capabilities, MCT-Nissan offers with the Carryall a solution based on the proven MCT-Nissan Hellcat. By eliminating the need for heavy armour and armament, it has been possible to achieve a remarkable speed and payload, making it possible to use larger combinations instead of the standard group of small freight containers, each of which occupies more container holding points.

Std. Upgrades: Improved Takeoff and Landing 2, Special Cargo (6 exterior airdrop cargo mounts)

Heavy Drones     Hand   Accel    Speed   Pilot  Body   Armor   Sensor   Avail   Cost
Carryall         +2     50/250   1000    3      4      4       3        18      75,000¥

Both excellent choices, but outside my budget atm. Might look at them later though.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Nov 3 2020, 12:28 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,812

Yeah, the LEDB is probably a better choice if you're going into dangerous territory (which is kind of in the job description). Slower, but that's fine if it's in the van a few blocks away.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Nov 3 2020, 08:51 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Iduno @ Nov 3 2020, 08:28 AM) *
Yeah, the LEDB is probably a better choice if you're going into dangerous territory (which is kind of in the job description). Slower, but that's fine if it's in the van a few blocks away.

Exactly. The others are more for long range resupply if you're heading out of town and need a gear drop rather than "Okay, they have mechanical locks rather than maglocks. Time to break out the autopicker."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.