IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun in Spaaaace... and, err, the Big Blue Wet Thing, The state of play for extra-Terran and sub-aquatic SR
Ka_ge2020
post Feb 3 2021, 06:01 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,264

I thought the single thread would work, but it might be a little bit too unmanageable. Hence my--what?--seventh question.

Is there any official information out there--supplement, by preference--that details what is happening in space and/or the ocean/sub-oceanic?

Part B to this question is whether anyone has done anything with those in their games?

Reason: I, like many others, have been tinkering around with that campaign (you know the one), so I'm interested in what's out there as I plan my multi-age shenanigans.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Feb 3 2021, 08:19 AM
Post #2

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

SR3 had at least Target: Wastelands

+Quote Post
Koekepan
post Feb 3 2021, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 52,483

One of the important things is that magicians who go off-planet go insane.

So, there's that.

I can't recall any specific details on how or why, though.

Of course, there are orbital stations and habitats, but that's about it.

As far as the ocean is concerned, there are now arkoblocks (offshore arcologies) so that's a factor.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 3 2021, 04:59 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,972

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Feb 3 2021, 07:53 AM) *
One of the important things is that magicians who go off-planet go insane.

So, there's that.

I can't recall any specific details on how or why, though.

So, from what I recall of Target: Wastelands, mages go insane because of the lack of a manasphere in space. It's like a background count of -15, or something hugely negative. The orbital habitats have been doing science on creating an artificial manasphere with hydroponics and plants and stuff. They think that by having a large amount of life in a dense space they can create a pocket manasphere to make the background count something tolerable, so they can experiment on magic in different background counts.

Oceans alm I got it one of the 4e Dawn of The Artifacts adventures goes to an ocean thing. That's all I've got, at least before I check through my copies of those.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Feb 3 2021, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

This is correct. It is the lack of life giving rise to a manasphere that drives the mages insane. Small space habitats typically have a bunch of plants and such stuffed into them to create a manasphere if they expect to have magicians working there. Ares has at least one habitat set up this way researching the insect spirits and where they come from, along with the horrors (Earthdawn nasties).

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 3 2021, 06:16 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Yeah, lots of science on magical things in a safe environment where the magical nasties can't get loose, cuz the bckground count outside the room is, in theory, too low for Horrors or bugs to continue to exist in the material plane.

I sent my players to the moon once to fight rogue sprites who took over the moonbase after a techno went space mad. Had a huge hydroponics section to justify having the mage survive it.

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Feb 3 2021, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,812

QUOTE (Ka_ge2020 @ Feb 3 2021, 01:01 AM) *
I thought the single thread would work, but it might be a little bit too unmanageable. Hence my--what?--seventh question.

Is there any official information out there--supplement, by preference--that details what is happening in space and/or the ocean/sub-oceanic?

Part B to this question is whether anyone has done anything with those in their games?

Reason: I, like many others, have been tinkering around with that campaign (you know the one), so I'm interested in what's out there as I plan my multi-age shenanigans.

Travel to and from them is the main difficulty. People fly into airports pretty often, but they're going to be aware of an unscheduled ship showing up to the secret lagrange point/deep sea base.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Feb 3 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #8

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (ggodo)
So, from what I recall of Target: Wastelands, mages go insane because of the lack of a manasphere in space.

No they don't .. at least not by default just because they are in space and when talking about SR1 to SR3 in general or Target Wastelands in particular.
Pyhsical and or mentals problems (including "insanity") typically arise when trying to use magic in space or (worse) when trying to astrally perceive / project in space ... and yes that latter makes it a far more serious issue for dual natured and astral entities.

QUOTE (ggodo)
It's like a background count of -15, or something hugely negative.

With the exception of certain stations it's generally a rating 10 background count and thus falls within the highest Mana Warp category (which have additional effects that are more excessive than the base 5 rating levels of background count)

Sidenote: That info actually comes mainly from MitS rather than Target Wastelands

QUOTE (ggodo)
The orbital habitats have been doing science on creating an artificial manasphere with hydroponics and plants and stuff. They think that by having a large amount of life in a dense space they can create a pocket manasphere to make the background count something tolerable, so they can experiment on magic in different background counts.

Most man made habitats in space are still within the levels of Mana Warp background count and therefore still cause the associated effects just at a more managable level. It still takes highly initiated magicians to successfully use magic in space but those who can perform magic in space are serious mofos down on Earth ... one such capable magician was featured in the Tom Dowd short story Hunter and Prey.

QUOTE (Mantis)
This is correct. It is the lack of life giving rise to a manasphere that drives the mages insane.

As noted above: No that's not correct. The Rating 10 Mana Warp does not inherently cause magicians to go insane ... at least not within the material up until SR3. If SR4+ changed that I'd certainly like to hear where exactly in order to know which parts of the later editions to hate even more.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 3 2021, 08:48 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

I think you're correct. I forgot that it was specifically the astral perception that caused the insanity. I do recall that they were experimenting with artificial manaspheres in some book, but with nonexplicit rules, just a vague "this could make the background count less bad if you want" wink to the GMs, but written in-character.

Also, which book is MitS? My brain is bad at acronyms

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Feb 3 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Mr. Quote-function

MitS = Magic in the Shadows ... the SR3 main magic sourcebook.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 3 2021, 09:17 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Ah, yeah, I don't actually have that one. I missed 3e except for fluff books I grabbed later.

+Quote Post
Ka_ge2020
post Feb 4 2021, 01:35 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Wak pointed out Target Wastelands but it seems that my brain had a hiccup. It's on my tablet to read so that I can catch up.

Is there anywhere in particular that I can read up about Mars or is that in Target Wastelands, too?

Also, has anyone actually done anything with these two locales?

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Feb 4 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Mars info is scattered around. I'm missing a couple 5E books (and I'm not on the Monad story) so I'm not sure where to direct you on that one.

Short form is that Evo had a base there, but it was taken over by the Monads one person at a time, until there was no one left but them. Thusfar, they're the only ones out that far but Ares is *really* interested in finding out how they got there and possibly matching the move (minus the headcases).

There's also the issue of a Mars craft returning to Earth, vanishing for a week, then showing up again without the crew having any idea that they were ever missing.

As for the water? There's stuff going on there too. The Sea Dragon's started making some major moves, there are quite a few undersea bases, and Korin Yamana was recently eaten by a Megaldon. These may, or may not, be connected. (Also, there was a base in Lake Michigan that was growing underwater freshwater cactus and developed a sentient line of Merrow, but that research was terminated. of course, the base is still there...)

+Quote Post
Ka_ge2020
post Feb 4 2021, 10:05 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Feb 4 2021, 03:58 PM) *
...was recently eaten by a Megaldon. These may, or may not, be connected..

Who are these Megal's and what's the gig with their organised crime bosses?

*kaboom-tisch*

Thanks. I'll do some Googling to see if I can find any more information on Mars.

Edit: A Google later...

https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/Mars

Err... Really?

+Quote Post
Ka_ge2020
post Feb 7 2021, 10:21 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Okay, thanks, Wakshaani. If you, or anyone else, happens to identify the publicly-available materials, please feel free to drop in a note.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 8 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #16

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Some discussion here including some references to official material.

There was also a short campaign on DS called Mars Alpha. The GM may have some references.

+Quote Post
Ka_ge2020
post Feb 8 2021, 12:38 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 7 2021, 07:04 PM) *
Some discussion here including some references to official material.

There was also a short campaign on DS called Mars Alpha. The GM may have some references.

Thanks for the reference--much appreciated.

Do you (or have you) seen much discussion on these forums about such topics, i.e. outer space and the Big Blue Wet Thing? (Thank you, Mr Dimble. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 8 2021, 12:54 AM
Post #18

Old Man of the North

Those two and this are the only ones I can think of.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 8 2021, 04:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

I had one 10ish years ago, dunno how findable that is. It was all Space, though. Ocean I mostly know There Is Stuff There.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Feb 8 2021, 04:34 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

If you have any specific questions, I'll answer what I can.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Feb 8 2021, 04:34 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

+Quote Post
Ka_ge2020
post Feb 9 2021, 06:02 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Feb 7 2021, 11:34 PM) *

Thanks. I'm still at the point of I don't know enough information to formulate appropriate questions.

Bugger. It's like the first year of doing a doctorate all over again. Womp.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 9 2021, 03:31 PM
Post #23

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (Ka_ge2020 @ Feb 9 2021, 01:02 AM) *
Bugger. It's like the first year of doing a doctorate all over again. Womp.

Stop it! Stop it! Don't bring back those memories! Ahhhhhrrrgggghhhh......

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 9 2021, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

There was some updated information in Hazard Pay, which also was the first sign of the plotline about the Monads building a spaceship to go to mars -- sure, how else would digital entities travel to another planet?

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 10 2021, 02:18 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

I mean, I assume even digital entities would need some sort of housing to recieve them? Possibly less risk of data loss?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.