IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rigger Bits, You've got to be kidding me.
Dissonance
post May 22 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,992

Two quick questions.

1) I'm looking to tweak out a GMC Bulldog for rigging/remote operations. I don't really care what all I have on it, but I want to be able to pretty much summon the thing, and I want it to have some kind of rigger-controlled weaponary. Because that's delicious. Suggestions?

2) If a spirit is pissing me off, and I don't have the means to kill it with said weapons due to immunity constraints... Does ramming it at 300 meters per turn an acceptable solution for getting around immunities? Seriously. Is it?

EDIT: Manifested spirits. I'm not going to try and ram an unmanifested one, unless I line the entire thing with biofiber... Hmm....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 22 2004, 07:43 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

2) IIRC, ramming the thing at that speed would cause 30D damage, so yeah, that should blow the spirit to smithereens. I'm not sure how I'd handle the staging rules for collisions with pedestrians though... Also, your own vehicle now needs to resist 30S, which may or may not suck for you.

[Edit] Yuu mean materialized, don't you?[/Edit]

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post May 22 2004, 07:48 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Manifested, materialized. *chuckles* Leave me alone! But, yes. I have to resist that much? Bwah, that's no good.

But I'll remember that the next time I'm driving someone ELSE's car.

+Quote Post
Moonwolf
post May 22 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,011

The spirit would take 30D, the van would take 30L. A light is nothing to worry about if the spirit needs killing fast.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 22 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

Nope Moonwolf, check the BBB, collisions with pedestrians. Clearly states that damage for the vehicle is staged down one step, so D becomes S.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post May 22 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

I'd like to go ahead and point out that an armored truck taking 30S damage from hitting a pedestrian is... completely retarded.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 22 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

You shouldn't be moving at 100m/s (ie, 6 k/minute or 360 kph) when you hit someone, then. Now, if that collision were at 200m/ct (240 kph) then the pedestrian would take 20D and the vehicle would take 20M.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 22 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #8

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Jason--you forgot that all pedestrians in this land have titanium bone lacing, dermal sheath, and are possessed by a force 12 greater form City Spirit. Either that or the guys who wrote the rules were trying to deter you from killing pedestrians with your car....I'm still working on the latter concept. :D

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 22 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Dragon

And don't forget that you reduce the damage for the colliding vehicle by body x number of successes on the ramming test. So a body 4 vehicle with 4 successes would take only 6M in the 200m/ct case. And you can always use control pool on the resistance test.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 22 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #10

The back-up plan

TKG--Why exactly 6M? I'm tired but I keep coming up with a different number...closer to 4M

Also do you get armor on the Crash test? If so is it applied after you reduce the damage of the collision?

+Quote Post
Vlad the Bad
post May 22 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 6,345

What if the pedestrian has titanium bone lacing or has a cybertorso or something? Physics is shadowrun sometimes has to take a back seat. It should also be mentioned that said 300m/turn is very, very, very fast (225mph).

+Quote Post
Vlad the Bad
post May 22 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,345

man, I am just too slow. I need move-by-wire to type fast enough for you guys.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 22 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #13

Dragon

20M-(successes x body) = 20M - (4 x 4) = 4M. I was backwards.

In any case, I don't know how you're getting a Bulldog up to 200 m/ct ;)

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 22 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #14

The back-up plan

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
In any case, I don't know how you're getting a Bulldog up to 200 m/ct ;)

5 Shamans summoning spirits to use movement power, custom jet fuel in the Bulldog, and then launch it from a massive cyclotron

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 22 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ May 22 2004, 10:36 AM)
And don't forget that you reduce the damage for the colliding vehicle by body x number of successes on the ramming test.  So a body 4 vehicle with 4 successes would take only 6M in the 200m/ct case.  And you can always use control pool on the resistance test.

You can also use it on the ramming test. With a good VCR and Drive-By-Wire, you ought to be reducing Power by 40 to 44 in that example.

Also, the L damage code comes from the alternate vehicle collision rules from Rigger 3.

~J

+Quote Post
Moonwolf
post May 22 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,011

Sorry, I was using the Rigger 3 damage tables, where the body of both sides is used. It means that vans can run people over and take some damage, rather than wiping out in one go.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post May 22 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

*boggles*

Wow. So, er, is it a good idea to ram spirits, then?

I deserve a prize! :biggrin:

Now, all I need to do is find out how to find a full-automatic shotgun to mount to the roof of my.. Er. Delivery truck. Yeah. That's the ticket. Delivery.

EDIT: Oh! As for impossibly fast vehicles? I want this bike.
http://www.ircuser.org/files/219mph.mpg

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post May 22 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

Screw "good idea." It's just COOL to ram spirits!

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post May 22 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

QUOTE (Dissonance)
EDIT: Oh! As for impossibly fast vehicles? I want this bike.
http://www.ircuser.org/files/219mph.mpg

...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

+Quote Post
lodestar
post May 22 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

I hate to be the voice of reason here but watch out, most spirits are a lot tougher to ram than one would think, especially if your GM is on the ball. Assuming you'll mostly be ramming city spirits, they have various movement and accident powers to trip you up. Movement powers of course can slow your ramming speed to make you ineffectual, and the accident power can be very liberal on what it means, You ever watch They Must be Mad? You get the idea. The best idea for dealing with most spirits is just to move out of its domain.

Elementals on the other hand are much more difficult to deal with, the only solution being high caliber weapons when they materialize. Fire, air and water elementals will most likely just manifest inside the vehicle and incinerate/suffocate/drown the occupants. And earth elementals? Well they can make nasty speed bumps.

Geek the mage.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 22 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #21

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

For your bulldog-- a Security model with rigger adaptation can be summoned on command. An improved Pilot would be helpful; but simply rigger-adapting the thing will give you a Pilot of 1. For weapons, a pop-up turret should do the trick.

As for spirits... it depends what you put in that turret. I tend to load Great Dragons into the damn things, which will fry most spirits easily. A water cannon or flamethrower can do the trick as well.

If you're dead set on ramming the damn thing, get yourself a low-level nitro injector. That will get you up to 2.5 x your normal speed. If I were the GM, I'd be imposing all kinds of handling modifiers after firing off one of those, but YMMV, of course.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 23 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (lodestar)
Fire, air and water elementals will most likely just manifest inside the vehicle

Which brings to light one of the cardinal rules of Rigging. Unless there is absolutely no way to manage it, make sure the mage wards the inside of your vehicle before the run. It might not save you, but at least the mage should have a little warning of what's coming.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 23 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

That's why my rigger keeps a blowtorch next to her at all times.

~J

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 23 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #24

Dragon

Tasers are better :)

+Quote Post
lodestar
post May 24 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (lodestar @ May 22 2004, 05:51 PM)
Fire, air and water elementals will most likely just manifest inside the vehicle

Which brings to light one of the cardinal rules of Rigging. Unless there is absolutely no way to manage it, make sure the mage wards the inside of your vehicle before the run. It might not save you, but at least the mage should have a little warning of what's coming.

Having a Mage/Shaman on astral overwatch is better to use his/her own spirits to defend a command vehicle, or better yet, use a spirit's conceal or movement powers to hide or escape respectively.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.