Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Found Arcana - Fifth Interlude [OOC]
Tecumseh
post May 14 2021, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,075

Here’s what you currently know about your neighborhood: https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...is/touristville

Here’s our shared lifestyle: https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...gative-services

Game calendar so far, all dates 2078 except for the currently interlude, which takes place on New Years' Day.

Chapter 1: Sunday, September 18
Chapter 2: Monday, September 26
First Interlude: Saturday, October 1
Chapter 3: Monday, October 10
Second Interlude: Sunday, October 16
Chapter 4: Sunday, November 6
Third Interlude: Wednesday, November 23
Chapter 5: Thursday, November 24
Fourth Interlude: Sunday, November 27
Chapter 6: Thursday, December 22
Fifth Interlude: Sunday, January 1, 2079

I presume Beta and Gilga are still maintaining their character sheets on Obsidian Portal. Those are what I'm using.

@Jack Go ahead and post your character sheet so we can see what Bobby looks like these days.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 15 2021, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 154,444

I've finally uploaded Bobby to a Google Doc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/107f...dit?usp=sharing

Haven't spend all of the Karma yet (depends on how much money AM needs), but I'd strongly suggest, AM, Jawsey and Bobby finally get around to create a circle, so our initation costs go down.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 15 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Runner

A Google Sheet! Exciting!

@Jack
Would you be alright moving the karma expenditures on a second tab so that it's easier to access your stats without scrolling?

Not sure if it's a typo on row 84, but boosting Reaction from 2 to 3 would be 15 karma instead of 10.

Hint / Minor Spoiler: You might want to hold off on Randori (Vitals), as martial arts are a potential reward from this Interlude. If there are more martial arts you want, then carry on.

I don't have any issues with group initiation; forming the group is something we might be able to handle at the end of this Interlude. That said, are there rules for forming the group itself? I think there were in 4E but if there are in 5E then they are eluding me.

Still need Charisma + Etiquette rolls for Jawsey for the monthly lifestyle/expenses. Bobby can roll (or not) as Jack sees fit. Bobby could have earned a little bit on his own while he was gone.

+Quote Post
Gilga
post May 15 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 200,423

I updated AM's sheet.

Most notably: Edge 2->3 and Body 2->3

Some more spells including the vehicle mask, Fashion, and petrify.
The outdoors skill group 0-->1 (should have had some basic knowledge of it from background)
I took that point in pilot aircraft, as well as the overclocker and perfect time qualities reflected as some tricks she may have developed over time to make her Erika sufficient.

Knowledge about matrix security and fashion, as well as popular culture, and sports, and whatever else she heard the guests talk about.

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 15 2021, 09:27 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Thanks, I deducted the right amount of Karma, but kopied the wrong number to the stats.

Understood - Removing Randori for now.

There are rules in Street Grimoire p.129 for a Group Bond Ritual - each of us has to buy it for 5 Karma and spend 5 Karma to seal the ritual

I also just decided to invest a bit in Etiquette, so Bobby can help with the upkeep:

Etiquette: 4d6t5 2

Not bad, considering his Superhuman Psychosis gives a -2 penalty to his check. Depending on the interlude, I'll consider buying it off, since his colleagues are slowly helping him to overcome his isolation.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 17 2021, 09:56 PM
Post #6

Runner

@Beta
Let us know how you're coming along. Karma expenditure isn't really necessary for the Interlude, if you need more time for that.

A Charisma + Etiquette roll would be helpful but that could wait until after the Interlude too.

We will need an IC post at some point.

@Gilga
I know the debt payoff will be a significant moment for AM. Did you want to do that in a flashback post, or did you want to cover it separately at the end of the Interlude? Like AM shows up to make her monthly payment (since it's the 1st) and she pays everything off?

+Quote Post
Beta
post May 18 2021, 01:31 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 190,206

Sorry, I'd taken a few days away from SR games (when I'd said I'd been hoping we would start for a week, I'd not been kidding). I haven't read the IC yet, but here is your roll:

Char+Etiq: 13d6t5 6

+Quote Post
Gilga
post May 18 2021, 11:06 AM
Post #8

Dragon

I already wrote her as paying the entire amount. It is a significant moment, but it needn't be a dramatic or tense scene. She pays extra every month since she joined Sis.

Perhaps Jimmy can buy her dinner after the interlude as she made him a lot of profit. He can inquire about her recent fortune and about Sis.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 19 2021, 02:57 AM
Post #9

Runner

Cool, cool, let's figure something out for the end of the Interlude.

Anyone remember how we actually apply the hits from our Cha/Etiquette tests? Are they a teamwork test? Cumulative hits? What's a hit worth?

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 19 2021, 04:51 AM
Post #10

Dragon

Teamwork for the one with the highest skill.
Every hit shaves 1000 Nuyen of our cost of living, potentially even turning cost into gain.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 19 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #11

Runner

Largest dice pool is definitely Jawsey's. We have 8 Teamwork dice to add to his test (4 from AM, 2 each from Bobby and Mato):

Teamwork Dice 8: 8d6t5 3 hits

Added to Jawsey's 6 hits and that's 9 hits for 9,000 nuyen. That's enough to cover the 7,400 of monthly expenses with a little left over.

1,600 leftover split four ways is an additional 400 nuyen each.

Bobby and Mato owe taxes due to SINs. I'm open to converting this to 6E's rule on SINs/taxes, where the % is based on your lifestyle costs rather than your gross income. It was always silly to calculate it on shadow income and 6E's approach makes much more sense.

@Beta
Looks like you should have enough nuyen to finish off Jawsey's debt payments too. Is that your plan for the Chapter 6 karma/nuyen?

+Quote Post
Beta
post May 19 2021, 11:53 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Jawsey paid his December debt before going on the last job, in case they were there through New Year's. He'll hold off on closing out his debt until the end of January (I'll put the karma and Nguyen aside, however). He doesn't want to give the Vory the idea that he is too flush or too eager to get away from them -- both seem like ways to attract attention and they are not the sort of people he wants attention from.

+Quote Post
Gilga
post May 20 2021, 01:48 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Jack some clarification of what Bobby is suggesting - is it group initiation (in that case shouldn't we initiate to the same field? --> perhaps masking or flexible signature?)

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 20 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #14

Dragon

I'm talking about founding a magical group - including tenets - which is necessary for group initiations. (As per the rules in Street Grimoire p. 129)

+Quote Post
Gilga
post May 20 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #15

Dragon

So we do need to agree on the same initiation for all?

+Quote Post
Beta
post May 20 2021, 08:20 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

I thought that the group initiation was just the 10% discount on the cost of initiation for belonging to an initiatory group?

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 20 2021, 09:00 PM
Post #17

Dragon

We don't have to initiate at the same time, but once we have founded the group we can help each other with initiations so we save 10% each time.
Of course that comes with an initial investment of 10 karma, so we get the dividend only after about the sixth initiation.
But a house rule, I have used in the past, is that the benefit also extends to learning other magical skills and qualities. (Otherwise it's pretty pointless - not even my highest ranked character, Isaint managed to get to more than five initiations)

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 20 2021, 10:13 PM
Post #18

Runner

I'm looking at the Group Bond rules and the ritual seems fairly suicidal.

Force starts at 12 and would probably end up around there (+2 for each tradition, minus a few for limited membership and individual strictures). The ritual would roll 24 dice (Force * 2) to oppose you, and then you'd soak 2 * the hits of that the ritual rolled to resist you. So, you'd be soaking 16ish boxes of damage (but, in all likelihood, could be anywhere from 10 to 24), which could end up as Physical if the dice go wild on you.

The Force could be somewhat reduced by individual strictures, and some of these could potentially be interesting for RP purposes. Deeds/Dues/Service could all tie into SIS activities with minimal shoehorning. Attendance and Exclusive Membership wouldn't be that hard to include either. Fraternity is an interesting one that could be discussed.

I think Street Grimoire is a little extreme so I'd probably reduce the default Force of the ritual to something less homicidal.

Jack makes a good point about how long it takes the karma investment to pay off in terms of the number of initiations necessary. A house rule about reducing the price of magical skills seems reasonable. Reducing the price of magical qualities might be a bit more of a case-by-case basis, but not out of the question.

@Gilga
AM can have her soykaf any way she wants. I was just adding some color/flavor about how Mato likes his.

+Quote Post
Beta
post May 21 2021, 12:35 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

The drain on rituals isn't a big deal--can be reduced by reagents. But the resistance to overcome could be a real issue.

I've always wondered if that initial 10 karma is needed? You are taking on strictures and the savings are small. Perhaps there was supposed to be some mechanical benefits on how easy/hard it is to initiate, but it there were I don't think anything saw publication.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 21 2021, 03:00 AM
Post #20

Runner

I looked up 4E's rules and they're a lot easier / more sensible overall:

FOUNDING A GROUP
This ritual requires that all participants make an Arcana +
Logic (number of members) Test using teamwork (p. 59, SR4).
If the character is already an initiate, his initiate grade adds to
the dice pool. Apply dice pool modifiers as noted on the Group
Founding Table.
If all participants succeed in this test, the group bond is
established. They must now pay 5 Karma per character to make
the bond permanent, granting members all the benefits of a
full-fledged magical group.

Here are the dice pool modifiers:

If courting a mentor spirit avatar for the group: –4
For each additional tradition the group admits: –2
For each member previously initiated in a magical group: –2
For each stricture the group adopts: +1
For each additional 2 points of Karma spent: +1
For each month of dedicated work by all members:* +2

I'd say let's go with these. 5 karma means that the costs are paid back much faster.

The individual strictures are largely the same between editions. If anything, the 4E descriptions are cleaner. I might recommend Exclusive Membership and Fraternity. Perhaps Attendance and Deed (both easily addressed ICly, given the nature of the game) if you want to boost the dice pool.

+Quote Post
Gilga
post May 21 2021, 06:46 AM
Post #21

Dragon

As for the dice pool for ritual spellcasting, AM has 12 dice arcana +logic and can receive 7 more from teamwork. This brings us to 19 dice, and we can boost her logic to get to 23.
As for tradition aren't we all the same tradition?

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 21 2021, 09:56 AM
Post #22

Dragon

I never defined Bobby's tradition since its mainly fluff for adepts anyway, so yeah, I always assumed he hailed from the same belief system as AM and Jawsey.

And yes, 4e rules are much saner.

I was able to get the Force down to 9 and would have just thrown Edge and Reagents at it until it worked.
Bobby's Arcana is good enough with 9 dice to contribute at least 3 to the test - with edge I can bring that up to 5 on average.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 21 2021, 01:26 PM
Post #23

Runner

For some reason I had it in my head that AM was of the Sioux tradition, but now I see on her sheet that's plainly not the case.

Also, I mentally assign adepts to their own tradition (one with Body as the drain stat), but again that's not really how the book considers things. Given the shared background, it seems reasonable that everyone is the same tradition.

Having the modifiers affect the dice pool instead of the threshold is far less punitive. A threshold of 3 (for three group members) is highly achievable, especially with Edge.

For Logic + Arcana, AM would have 12 dice, Bobby 9, and Jawsey 8.

Beta could potentially boost Jawsey's pool since it doesn't look like he's spent Chapter 6 karma yet. Adding strictures would also help. These are the easy ones, which would each add +1 die:

- Exclusive Membership (don't belong to other magical groups)
- Fraternity (help out other members of the magical group)
- Attendance (attend meetings, either once a month or once a quarter, easy enough while living together)
- Deed (support the group)
- Support/Dues (don't miss lifestyle payments)

Or AM could just boost Logic as needed. Either way, the rolling is mostly a formality. 4E didn't include any mention of drain, so that part would be left up to RP.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post May 24 2021, 04:37 PM
Post #24

Runner

Bumping this.

Even if we don't finalize the strictures, let's get a simple yay or nay in the IC thread and then move along so that we don't derail the interlude with details that can be decided later.

+Quote Post
Jack_Spade
post May 24 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #25

Dragon

The solution is fine by me - just wanted to wait what Beta has to add (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.