> Tech CEOs --, modern shamans?
pbangarth
post Jul 19 2022, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

LINK

I was almost seduced from archaeology to anthropology because of my interest in shamanism. My one professor in fourth year tried hard to draw me in.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Jul 21 2022, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,015

I had a colleague who routinely took me out to lunch to pump me with propaganda promoting Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan and other stories. He similarly followed an unusual lifestyle of total abstinence despite being married, and eating dishes containing meat from male animals (he could tell it had been male by its energy...) He took a psychedelic holiday to Mexico, availed himself to the spirits, had no transcendental visions or experiences, became disillusioned, began an affair, and forgot all about shamanism. I found the books semi-interesting but found the methodology of withholding declaring one's hypothesis / interpretation until after you already have the results to fit it to was particularly irritating.

Still, if American CEO's subsist on sucking Kale stalks and thinking of yoga, they might just have the Sustenance adept power. After all, it's that time of the Cycle.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 24 2022, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

The major difference being of course that SR shamanism gets stuff done, whereas these are basically just fad diets

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jul 24 2022, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 24 2022, 03:29 PM) *
The major difference being of course that SR shamanism gets stuff done, whereas these are basically just fad diets

Well, the CEOs 'claim' there are powerful benefits, just as the article suggests real world shamans claim benefits. The important suggestion is that the asceticism of the CEO causes others to ascribe a 'heightened state' to the CEO, and hold him/her in awe. Belief is at the core of much power, one over another, no?

Maybe SR power depends at least in part on belief in it, too.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 30 2022, 01:00 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

Sure, placebo effects definitely are a thing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.