IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5e Skill Test Rule Clarification, One Attribute or Two?
Swing Kid
post Dec 18 2023, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,266

I am fairly certain I know the answer to this, but I wanted clarification from the experts (because not everyone at my table agrees).
Skills are listed with specific attributes but, in some cases, a rule calls for a different attribute. When this happens, is the alternate attribute IN ADDITION TO the the base attribute, or INSTEAD OF the base attribute?

Example:
Computer uses Logic (we will assume I have a 4 Skill and a 4 Logic)

YET,
For a Matrix Search, it says Computer + Intuition (we will assume I have a 3 Intuition)

So, would I be rolling 7 dice or 11?

7 = Computer + Intuition (my guess)

11 = [Computer+Logic] + Intuition

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 19 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #2

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

No one who actually knows 5E has answered yet, but as one who has played all the earlier editions, I can say that none of them has allowed two attributes to be added to a skill. Two attributes by themselves for some rolls, though.

I would say replace rather than add.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 12 2024, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,075

Coming to this pretty late, but pbangarth is correct.

I can't think of any instances where you add two separate Attributes to a single Skill check. As pb says, it can happen in a handful of non-skill situations:

Composure: CHA + WIL
Judge Intentions: CHA + INT
Lift/Carry: BOD + STR
Memory: LOG + WIL

Those are all from p. 152 of the core rulebook. There are other possibilities that a GM could improvise if it seems like the best approach to a situation.

But if the book says to use a different Attribute than the one typically associated with the skill, then it's a replace (not add) situation.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.