Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mages and spirits possessing cyberzombies, An interesting thought
Joker9125
post May 24 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,909

I was recently just messing around designing an NPC mage trapped into a cyberzombie body when a thought occured to me.

Since the mage is trapped in the cyberzombies body and is still capable of doing magic can he still channel spirits? If so would the physical attribute boost and immunity when channeling great form spirits still apply?

Now heres an interesting thought. Wince the spirit is basically posessing the cyberzombie would it have to make the same escape test as the magican? What if it fails? Would you have the attribute boost for good or not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 24 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Uh, how is he "trapped" in the body?

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 24 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

He tried to posess the cyberzombie. Ill have to look it up but im pretty sure if a magican tries to posess a cyberzombie he has to make a test to escape and if he fails he is trapped int he cyberzombies body for good.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post May 24 2004, 12:00 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Spoilers for a Shadowrun novel.
[ Spoiler ]

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 24 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

M&M page 57 has a section on what happens when something possesses a cyberzombie. The rules apply to both astrally projecting and spirit possessors.

Being trapped is entirely possible.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 24 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Its been awhile since i read the rules for cyberzombies in M&M and itll be awhile longer since i no longer have access to that book but as i understoof it the mage didnt lose essence while trapped in the cuberzombie body. Hmm yes a free spirit would work well for this situation.

Could a mage channel spirits while posessiong a cyber zombie?

+Quote Post
Tal
post May 25 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

That could eventually get pretty twinky... Not to meantion schizoprhenia inducing.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 25 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Its an idea for NPC's only maybe a run idea to send charactrs to blow up the research facility im not exactly sure but its an interesting thought. My GM had an interesting solution to PC's posessing cyberzombies. The mages that performed the sevice would no doubt expell and destroy the mages aura when he comes back for his cyberzombie cocktale to keep from dying

+Quote Post
Entropy Kid
post May 25 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,196

as i understoof it the mage didnt lose essence while trapped in the cuberzombie body.
Checking page 57 M&M: "If an initiate is trapped for too long, his physical body will die (see While You Were Out..., p. 173 SR3). When this occurs, the initiate's astral form survives, trapped in the cyberzombie as a permanent resident."

Channeling into a cyberzombie should be allowed if channeling is allowed into other bodies that are possessed, since it's just another dual-being.

Opinion: A cyberzombie's magic resistence (pg. 56 M&M) should probably count as background count TN for the mage, since it's inside a karmic pollution factory. Additionally, any spirit trapped should eventually go toxic and mages insane. I haven't read that (or any) novel so this might not happen based on precedent; of course the game and the novels don't exactly synchronize.

+Quote Post
Tal
post May 25 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Okay, I am so making a new cyberzombie with a hermetic mage trapped inside him... The way I see it, the mage gets desperate after a few hours and started calling spirits to bail him out, but they got trapped too, and now they're all going insane from the karma hazing. The mage loses his grip on the poor cyberzombie's mind, and now he's got a mental audience for everything he does... Man, this guy's gonna be fun as all hell!

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 25 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Abstruse)
However, an astral projecting mage would probably be a bad choice for this as a mage dies after he has been out of his body essence number of rounds.

Wait, isn't it Essence hours?

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 25 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Whats great is that if he starts channeling spirits and they get trapped you have perminant arrtibute boosts and immunity to normal weapons. Yea the more i think about it the better this starts to sound.

+Quote Post
Tal
post May 25 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Hmmm... My runners are all still pretty weak suckers, so I guess I'd better give them *some* kind of chance...

Hmmm... Maybe if the various spirits/mage/cyber-zombie all vie for control of the body...

+Quote Post
Entropy Kid
post May 25 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,196

Yea the more i think about it the better this starts to sound.
Well, that's if channelling is allowed while possessing, and after the mage makes the test at +2TN and takes physical drain for it. I don't have T:AL so I have no idea how the channelling part works.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 25 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,354

Trapped or not, you're still considered to be in your astral form. Possession only makes you dual-natured and able to affect the physical world, but that's about it. Since you can't use summoning while astral, it won't work.

Not sure what's up with your fascination for "attribute boosts" though. Considering your meat body dies and you're not stuck on the constantly diminishing health of your new host, life isn't exactly going to be peachy for the couple of months, max, you have to live.

+Quote Post
Tal
post May 25 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

I was thinking of it more as a vehicle for an insane, magically-powered cyberzombie...

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 25 2004, 01:17 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

True but then again this isnt for PC's its beginning to form into a run idea possibly for an online game Im not exactly sure ill have to think about it.

+Quote Post
danbot37
post May 25 2004, 02:41 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,137

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 25 2004, 03:28 AM
Post #19

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

woah um:
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 25 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

That's another point. All Drain would be physical, too.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 25 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Thats also a novel and lethe was the specter of a dragon. Another thing all those novels were writen in the 2nd ED so their not exactly cannon

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 25 2004, 05:08 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

The bit about Physical Drain is canonical. Has nothing to do with the god-forsaken novels. A projecting mage -- even one using Possession -- still has to deal with Physical Drain on all of their spells and, I'm not 100% sure on this point, I think they still only get to use Willpower for it unless the Force exceeds their Magic Attribute. But if so, that high Body score the 'zombie likely has won't be of any help. Not that any of the Body boosting 'ware would help to begin with, mind you.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 25 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

I know that spell darin is physical ont he astral i meant the part abotut the spirit only being able to cast low force spells. And A mage posessing a cyberzombie is pretty fragging scary because not only are they extremely hard to kill int he physical they can also cast spells and the like.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 25 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Actually, they're worse off. Their skills (which the possessor doesn't gain) are those of the mage, so it's doubtful if he knows how to use that BFG his new body is toting around... at least to the level the 'zombie originally was. Likewise for all his other skills.

Magically, he's suffering in a major way. Every spell he casts that he doesn't fully remove all drain from wounds him just as if he were shot. He produces a background count that increases all of his own TNs. Even better, since all of the drain is affecting his astral form only, even implants like a Trauma Damper or even a Guardian Angel have no effect in lowering it.

Best of all, *all* of his TNs suffer a +2 penalty as the 'zombie keeps trying to take back control, and he's suffering all the pains that come from being dual-natured to boot.

So yeah, whoop-ti-do, he has a bunch of cyberware and attribute boosts. But he's now a horrible sammy and a horrible mage. This assumes, of course, that the mage wins the Opposed Willpower Test when he gets trapped (while likely, it's not guaranteed, especially since he suffers a +2 penalty).

I'd much rather face something like that than a regular mage or a regular 'zombie any day of the week.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 25 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Well, the clever way to do it is to have a cyberzombie with a latent, repressed possessor who has failed his rolls to take control. The CZ is just as good as he always was, but if he ever gets knocked out, well, he gets to just wake right the fuck up under new management. He also takes seperate damage from mana-based spells, making the CZ pretty goddamn resilient when it comes to that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.