IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowland availability, how many runners actually have it?
Thistledown
post May 25 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,155

I was thinking about this, and wondering, how many shadowrunners actually have access to shadowland? I know it's supposed to be pretty hard to find, and I would imagine it to be much more so for non-deckers.

Also, what would it mean for players? If a player has access to shadowland, they can access almost every single book writen for shadowrun anytime they go online. I'd say that's one heck of an edge, if nothing else. Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 25 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

It's a Level 2 Contact.

~J

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post May 25 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Luckily many of the entries in the location books are questionable or just plain wrong. So, if you've done your work before hand, you can actually plan on them using a piece of info that is (in your version at least) incorrect.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 25 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Not to mention that many of the shadowtalkers are a little insane and doing data searches through Shadowland has a pretty good chance of getting back to the wrong folks (some searches, at least).

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post May 25 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,197

Shadowlands is also fairly open-access. It's a BBS. Granted, a well-hidden BBS, but if you can find it you can pretty much post and read whatever you want. For the record, I think it's Hacker House that needs passcodes and the likes for entrance. Most of Shadowlands is open-access, far as I know. And if you aren't supposed to be someplace in Shadowlands, you'll get SOTA IC, glaciers blacker than Lucifer's heart, and some of the best shadow-deckers in the business bearing down on your buttocks.

Still, the public areas on Shadowlands can be one heck of a security hazard (hence the omission of names/dates/details on most of the shadowtalk) but it is a ton of information. Sifting through it usually requires an SK or a frame in order to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

Least, that's what I gather. All the other things the other folks say are true, far as I can tell.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 26 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Shadowland requires passcodes, just not as many as, say, Nexus.

You're probably better off trying something bad on Shadowland than Nexus, too.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Also remember that you have to pay a hefty sum to get in.

Also, what is Nexus and do I want to know?

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 26 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #8

Dragon

I'm not staring at Target: Matrix right now, but, if I remember correctly, it's kind of the Shadowlands archive. There are several Shadowlands nodes around the world, but most of them connect to Nexus for archiving, etc.

It's protected by a very large tribe of Otaku (and some wiz deckers) and is located in Denver.

+Quote Post
Tal
post May 26 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

Nexus is, IIRC, the Denver version of Shadowland. Helluva lot bigger.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 26 2004, 02:05 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

The Nexus is the Denver data haven. Shadowland is a BBS system that's linked to it, but totally distributed.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 26 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

right. it'd be more accurate to say that Shadowland is the Seattle version of the Nexus, since the Nexus came first, is a hojillion times bigger, and acts as a central archive and distribution center for information posted on the local Shadowland boards. there's a Shadowland system for most major cities, each of which archive their material to the Nexus, and each of which mirrors important stuff that the Nexus receives (like the various sourcebook "downloads"). Seattle was the first BBS to call itself Shadowland; eventually, other metroplex-local shadow BBSs began calling themselves Shadowland as well, sorta like a franchise.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post May 26 2004, 07:43 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Second that. The German Shadowland is supposed to be based in Frankfurt and archives in the Helix system. There is, however, supposed to be limited connectivity between all Shadowland systems. It says in Matrix that they are all part of a PLTG run by the Denver Nexus.

Don

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 26 2004, 07:57 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

So have any of you guys had to handle your players having Shadowland as a contact? How do you handle it, assuming they have a reasonable amount of time to search for info and a reasonably powerful SK? Do you just assume it's a Level 2 Street contact and keep it simple, or have you gotten more detailed with it?

I haven't had to deal with any players bothering to take it as a contact yet, but I'd like to encourage a few of them to do so, since I think their character's would probably take part in Shadowland. I just haven't figured out a comfortable balance on how to handle it. I'm leaning towards the simple approach, but that seems to take some of the flavor out of it. I almost feel to keep the flavor of Shadowland as a contact it would take a huge amount of work.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post May 26 2004, 08:47 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

SRComp p65. There's a section entitled "Shadowland". My spidey sense is tingling, so there might be something in that about it. Just a hunch.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 26 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Matrix is really the place to turn, after you've read what SRComp has to say. An appropriate database gives you a -2 to data searches you perform in it. And Shadowlands is appropriate for a LOT of searches ;)

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post May 26 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #16

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

I've had a few characters with the Shadowland contact...I handle it as a regular decking run/contact. If the user is matrix proficent I let them use their computer skills, with Ettiqute (Matrix) as Complentary, if not they use the slow way and onlt get and Ettq roll...deckers take shorter times to retrieve info and snail users wait for responses...long time wait on their part

+Quote Post
kuroko
post May 26 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 3,936

So Captian Chaos runs the first Shadowland, Seattle's. And most of stuff we see in books is what gets posted to that? And Jane-in-the-box is one of the prime admins for Nexus? for which there is no way to access without paying some serious cash or racking up the right markers?

Oh, and wasn't there a Target: Matrix book or something like that put out?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 26 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

There was.

~J

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post May 26 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

QUOTE (kuroko)
And Jane-in-the-box is one of the prime admins for Nexus?

No. Jane-in-the-box is one of the (if not the) top hackers for the Draco Foundation. Not actually part of the Nexus.

+Quote Post
Nath
post May 26 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (kuroko)
And Jane-in-the-box is one of the prime admins for Nexus?

The decker you're thinking about is SylveryK, another of Dunkelzahn's protégés.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post May 27 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

I never make a decker without the Shadowland contact. Ever.

+Quote Post
Veracusse
post May 27 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,960

Most of my players take Shadowlands as a level-2 contact. They have learned what an invaluable source it can be. Also I encourage all of my deckers or otaku to take shadowlands as a contact. when I have new players to Shadowrun and thy try their hand at playing an otaku or decker I usually give them Shadowlands as a free contact. From the source books (Target: Matrix in particular) it appears that shadowlands is used by more than just deckers, but anyone interested in shadowrunning and shadowrun related activities.\

Veracusse

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 27 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #23

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
I've had a few characters with the Shadowland contact...I handle it as a regular decking run/contact. If the user is matrix proficent I let them use their computer skills, with Ettiqute (Matrix) as Complentary, if not they use the slow way and onlt get and Ettq roll...deckers take shorter times to retrieve info and snail users wait for responses...long time wait on their part

You know there are rules for running searches in Matrix, right?

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post May 28 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

As a corollary, do any of you try and push Maginet as well? It's kind of underdeveloped, as there's a mention in Grimoire II, part of it in SOTA 2063, and the reference in Burning Bright. It's supposed to be Shadowland for magicians, but it always seems that the magicians are cool hanging out in Shadowland.

Don

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 28 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I always took Magicnet or Magenet to be a part of Shadowland -- I would imagine any specialized MOS would have a section for shop talk.

-Siege

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.