IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Camoflague, Why buy several camo suits?
Beast of Revolut...
post May 26 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,140

One thing I don't understand; why buy camoflagued armor like in the armor section of the core rulebook? Why pay over a thousand nuyen to buy a new suit of camoflagued armor for every situation? Why not just buy plain old armor, and wear a camoflagued jumpsuit over it? That would be a like cheaper than buying a whole new set of armor for every kind of terrain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 26 2004, 05:26 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Better than that, use camo suit with photovoltaic fibers like the rapid transit jumpsuits and just alter the camo to fit in, cheaper than ruthenium, but not as effective, but lasts longer.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Beast, don't ask smart questions. Per canon, camouflage cannot be purchased as simple BDUs. You have to buy it as suits of armor for god knows what reasons. I suggest you houserule it and never waste time on it again.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 26 2004, 06:12 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I guess that canon says that you can never buy a jar of peanuts either, for the sole reason that they didn't provide pricing stats for it :P

If you have to make up house rules to include every physical object that doesn't have SR stats, you'll be wasting an awful lot of time.

ed- BTW, camo clothing is canon. It's called ordinary clothing and costs 50 nuyen. Just say "desert camo, please!" when you buy it :P

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 26 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

They have peanuts in SR? :grinbig:

Seriously though, apply common sense where you feel it necessary. Go to Wal-Mart during hunting season and you can pick up a shopping cart full of camoflauge, non-armored clothing.

Although in 2060, it might be called "Sprawl-Mart."

-Siege

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post May 26 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Rapid Transit jumpsuit? Where is that? I've heard it is in Canon Companion, but I can't find it.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 26 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

CC pg 50 I think

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 26 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Siege)
Seriously though, apply common sense where you feel it necessary.

Yeah, but this one really is canon. CC page 97 says that you can get any clothing or armor item in a camouflage pattern for free.

+Quote Post
Zephania
post May 26 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #9

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

I'd love to take that literally but does it say just whose giving this stuff away?

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 26 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,354

Typical camouflaged BDUs is covered by Ordinary Clothing. It's a whopping 50 nuyen investment (and thus isn't "free" by any stretch of the imagination). It's just as "free" as any other color/pattern in clothing is. The Camouflage Full Suit is a specific type of armor that just so happens to come in a camouflage pattern by default, it's not your typical, everyday uniform. Note also that in the main book, it's the only full-suit of armor that isn't security-grade or just regular lightly-armored clothing.

But we'll ignore that so Arethusa can continue on with his ranting about how stupid all the rules are.

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 26 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (Zephania)
I'd love to take that literally but does it say just whose giving this stuff away?

Without pulling the book to check, I'm going to assume the wording is closer to "available in camoflauge patterns at no additional cost." :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

My god, Lime, it is you! It is you!

[edit]

And for those that really care, I wasn't aware that CC allowed all armor to be purchased camouflaged, and this creates a number of headaches (does a vest only give you 1/3rd of the camo bonus? 1/2?). Better to just sell 50¥ BDUs that cover everything and leave it at that.

This post has been edited by Arethusa: May 26 2004, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post May 26 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

QUOTE (Siege)
They have peanuts in SR? :grinbig:

Actually, I bet they don't. With the growing number of people that are allergic to peanuts, I'm sure they've been replaced with soy-based products that synthetically mimic the taste. Seriously, peanuts should be heavily restricted now. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to buy them at the supermarket, but peanut products should definitely be banned from schools, airlines, and any other place where they might cause a death. Cigarettes have been banned in a lot of bars, but peanut dust can actually kill someone nearly instantly. In Shadowrun, I imagine peanuts are even obsolete, because by then it's probably possible to mimic the exact texture and taste without having to resort to using a product that can contaminate other foods that it's near. That would cut down on production costs for a lot of non-peanut items, because you woulnd't have to use different equipment for them.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 27 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
And for those that really care, I wasn't aware that CC allowed all armor to be purchased camouflaged, and this creates a number of headaches (does a vest only give you 1/3rd of the camo bonus? 1/2?).

Just a moment ago you were lamenting the inability to purchase camo gear other than the two standard types in the book. Now that you've learned that you can, you say it creates headaches because of the new flexibility that it provides!

We can't ever win this game, can we :P

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post May 27 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,909

QUOTE (Zazen)
We can't ever win this game, can we

I dont know about you but I can......................Super Munchkin/RuleLawyer Man Away!!!!!!!!!!!! :silly:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.