IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eidetic Memory vs. Mnemonic Enhancement, Is it just me?
Nikoli
post May 27 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #1

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Doesn't it seem a little odd that the Photographic memory edge provides none of the benifits that come from the Mnemonic Enhancers? They improve memory, Photographic Memory means you instantly recall anything and everything you ever experienced.

Things it might also include:
With use of transducer and chip/datajack: Int*100 in available "MP" for downloading paydata or storing video feeds. Skillwire design would preclude the use of MP for this, since you remove the chip and the skill goes away with no memory possible.

50% reduction in karma cost for knowledge/language skills, 25% for active since those tend to be less about book smarts and more about repitition and cognition, level 1 is now free to learn for knowledge/language skills

2 free successes on any knowledge skill test

Comments?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 27 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

Memory does not equal comprehension; some areas of the brain are better at some things than others.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 27 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Chicago Survivor

Right, if memory doesn't equal comprehension, why does the Mnemotic Enhancer give skill bonuses?

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 27 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Right, if memory doesn't equal comprehension, why does the Mnemotic Enhancer give skill bonuses?

Heh. I've always wondered about. I'd've figured natural photographic memory would be more effective than an added fast-recall bin.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 27 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

Also, the current game effect is you don't have to keep notes, for 3 points I'd rather keep notes.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 27 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,354

Photographic Memory doesn't cost 45,000 nuyen or take up 0.60 Bioware, nor does it hit your health or otherwise impact your character in any negative way whatsoever, either.

Mnemonic Enhancers are not an implant-version of Photographic Memory. They have a similar benefit (albeit requiring an Intelligence Test to recall things like everyone else, just with a +6 die bonus), but since the implant was designed specifically to enhance the portions of the brain that deal with learning and comprehension, it naturally gives a much more tangible bonus than just having a perfect memory does.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 27 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

But the description of the implant states that because memory is so important in the learning of skills and improving them, reduce the karma cost by a certain amount.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post May 27 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Yea, and the description on every headache med in the pharmacey isle says its the best.

Since when did everyone start believing all the descriptions.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post May 28 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

Photographic memory = you can recall anything you've memorized.

Mnemonic enhancer = You memorize things faster/more efficiently, decreasing learning time (karma) and increasing recollection.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 28 2004, 01:58 PM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Photographic memory = you can recall EVERYTHING whether you memorised it or not. (By defination, you recall everything you memorised anyway, if not, you only tried to memorise it)

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 28 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

And the subtle difference between recalling and memorizing?

-Siege

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 28 2004, 02:12 PM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

You needn't memorised to recall, but if you say you memorised something, you must recall it.

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 28 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Total recall has the same effect as memorizing -- you can't help but recall it.

And something memorized will fade if you don't revisit it periodically.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 28 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #14

Chicago Survivor

Maybe it shouldn't be as good as what I detailed, but it should be at least as good as Mnemoic enhancer 3 if not slightly better.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post May 28 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #15

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

Photographic (or better eidetic) memory is just that: Plain data without comprehension. To a certain extend everyone possses an eidetic memory at birth and through early childhood. The majority however loses that trait over the years (it can still be trained however to a limited extend ... for example children's games like "Memory" do just that).

A person with such a trait can consciously and subconsciously memorize large amounts of data without comprehension of the contained knowledge. So such a person can take a look at a large mathematical formula and later on reproduce it in every detail, without the sligthest understanding of what this formula means.
Unlike the description of the SR Edge "Photographic Memory", in reality this trait is even for those who are gifted with it not totally unlimited. Just as anyone else they will forget at least some of the memorized "pictures" over time.

The Mnemonic enhancer however doesn't allow instant memorization of such a formula, but shortens the time to actually understand its meaning (leading to the karmic cost reduction for increasing the corrosponding skill), thus finally leading to a point where the user can reproduce the formula not from a "picture" in his head, but by sheer knowledge of its backgorund.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 28 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #16

Chicago Survivor

Actually, total recal memory never fades (certain biological functions aside, like intense physical sensation that might prohibit or inhibit normal life ie. pain) it is always on tap, ready for you to pull it up.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post May 28 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Actually, total recal memory never fades (certain biological functions aside, like intense physical sensation that might prohibit or inhibit normal life ie. pain) it is always on tap, ready for you to pull it up.

Take a look:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/000901.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_memory <= Note the words "great accuracy" instead of "total accuracy" and "seemingly endless" instead of "absolute endless"

This is the report of a person with an eidetic memory:

http://www.iomas.com/gina/ultrahiq/mega-so...uly/eidetic.pdf

To sum it up: There is no such thing as "total recall memory". Eidetic memory does fade, just as normal memory does

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 28 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

Even after reading that I still think the edge should have effects similair if not identical to mnemonic enhancers.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post May 28 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

I'm surprised no one has suggested making it an adept power... :S

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 28 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #20

Dragon

QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
I'm surprised no one has suggested making it an adept power... :S

The thought has occured to me, but it violates the funky, quasi-border between "physical" powers which are acceptable and social/mental powers which are not. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post May 28 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Even after reading that I still think the edge should have effects similair if not identical to mnemonic enhancers.

In our games we use it like Mnemonic Enhancers but at the level of the Intelligence of the person. If a character has Photographic Memory and an Intelligence of 2 it doesn't do much, but guy wiht an Intelligence of 6 is another animal.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post May 28 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #22

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (Nikoli)

And even though you think that, there's a major difference between having perfect raw data in your mind (a science fiction trait that is acceptable in a fictional world) and having an implant that helps you understand what this data actually means ...
Also take note that the word photographic itself tells you all that you need to know: Eidetic memory is purely connected to visual memory. The benefits of the SR edge already exceed real life edetic memory by making it
  • "perfect" without fading and
  • includes things that the character heard

So by no means I can support that view of yours unless you start giving the Edge some serious drawbacks like constantly remembering any act of violence the character committed and / or wittnessed (thus turning it more into something like a curse / flaw) ... and even then the cost of photographic memory as edge would be too low to provide the same benefits as the mnemonic enhancer.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 28 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #23

Chicago Survivor

Ahh, you've never played in my games then. A fav RP combo of mine is phtographic memory and flashbacks, wow that's a fun one.

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 28 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #24

Dragon

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Ahh, you've never played in my games then. A fav RP combo of mine is phtographic memory and flashbacks, wow that's a fun one.

See, that's why I never took Photo memory.

Some things, I really want to forget.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 28 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #25

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

I guess I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for extra benefits from Photographic Memory, although maybe not the same ones as the Mnemotwink Enhancer. If you compare it to other 3-point Edges, it's decidedly inferior: the others include Connected, Daredevil, Perceptive, Friends Abroad, all Edges which can exponentially improve a character concept if used well. Photographic Memory is about the mechanical equivalent of having a few Mps of headware memory to take notes on.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.