IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> high charisma/will/intelligence scores, how do you roleplay them ?
Die blaue Reiter...
post May 31 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,162

thanks to an increase willpower +2 spell on a sustaining focus, my character does now have a willpower of 9. This leads me to the question... from the player's perspective, how do you roleplay high mental attributes ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 31 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #2

Guests

If you have a high Char or social skills, be prepared to act like it. Dice may be rolled, but it is generally RP, and if you're incompetent at negotiating, for example, you're screwed. Besides, it's an essential (IMO) element of the PC to reflect the higher values in skills and attributes in their person, and someone who can't RP someone with a high Char skill isn't doing a good job of RP with the character.

Besides, it makes things much more interesting.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post May 31 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

Well, someone with a high willpower is not going to give up easily.

Someone with a high INT may know exactly what they are doing, be able to think of creative solutions to problems, or may use a lot of large words.

And someone with a high CHA or high social skills is generally sociable.

That's how I generally do it.

+Quote Post
Hida Tsuzua
post May 31 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,353

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
If you have a high Char or social skills, be prepared to act like it. Dice may be rolled, but it is generally RP, and if you're incompetent at negotiating, for example, you're screwed. Besides, it's an essential (IMO) element of the PC to reflect the higher values in skills and attributes in their person, and someone who can't RP someone with a high Char skill isn't doing a good job of RP with the character.

While it makes for good fun, does this mean that players with high strength characters have to lift the same amount their characters are holding? Do they have to catch balls thrown at random intervals to get good initiative totals? Do you take them out to the range so they can shoot that ork?

You should definitely RP things out, but your character's rolls should be the primarily factor. And "I don't know how to talk my way to a Mafia don, but my character has Etiquette (Mafia) 6(10) so I'm going to just roll it" should always be an option. However good RP is definitely worth extra experience (which makes for a better character in the long run as well).

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post May 31 2004, 01:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Totally agree with the above post.

If someone is just an average roleplayer, but wants to play a guy who has a gigantic charisma and amazing social skills, of course he should be allowed to. Social skills should be rolled for just as much as other ones. Otherwise, why bother taking them at all?

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 31 2004, 02:33 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

I usually handle it with a die roll and role play. Basically the character makes his Etiquette (Mafia) test when he starts talking to the Mafia Don. That role determines how my Mafia Don npc reacts to the player's character. Now, things my not always go smoothly, and if the character makes a good role, but starts talking like a dumbass I'll usually give them a nudge or two, but that rarely happens.

Basically, yes the die reflects what's going to happen, unless it's just role played well enough to over ride dice, sometimes this happens. Otherwise, I let the dice play their part, but also have the player work for it in their role playing. I'll never just let it go at "i'll roll my mafia etiquette of 10 and talk my out of it" and let it go at that. There will always be some role play involved. Even if the player isn't as smooth as the character should be, its the effort that I look for first and foremost. And on an individual basis, I don't expect the same things from all of my players, they all have their strengths and weaknesses and I take those into accounts as well.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 31 2004, 02:35 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Die blaue Reiterin)
thanks to an increase willpower +2 spell on a sustaining focus, my character does now have a willpower of 9. This leads me to the question... from the player's perspective, how do you roleplay high mental attributes ?

By not making mistakes, pretty much (at least to the degree that I can).

~J

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 31 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I've found the only mental attribute that the player needs as much as his character is Intelligence. You can roll social skills instead of being genuinely charismatic, you can say "he attached a car battery to my balls, demanding I talk? I laugh!" instead of being genuinely willful, but you can't roll to create a good decision. Playing smart is really stuck in the realm of the player.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post May 31 2004, 06:34 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I'd say you can just roll for most negotiations/ettiquette tests but the player has to say something. Depending on what the player says it may get him/her TN mod. (good or bad).

I'm a big fan of "I don't know how to [x] but my character does..." Mostly because I don't know how to do a lot of the things my characters do. (ie. thow a manabolt, fire a full auto SMG, beat up a Troll, etc...) But with most things that my character does, what I say won't affect the die roll.

Its just another situation were being a veteran RPer helps out. :)

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post May 31 2004, 06:41 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Zazen)
I've found the only mental attribute that the player needs as much as his character is Intelligence. You can roll social skills instead of being genuinely charismatic, you can say "he attached a car battery to my balls, demanding I talk? I laugh!" instead of being genuinely willful, but you can't roll to create a good decision. Playing smart is really stuck in the realm of the player.

I've seen lots of real life idiots play smart characters. **shrugs** They're not bad people, just not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I figure it as intelligence is nebulous so I'm willing to assume that when they roll it actually reflects how smart the character is but when he/she says something stupid...well, how many of you guys know a "genius" that couldn't find his way out a paper bag with a map? I know several. ;)

Anyway, I would never tell someone he/she couldn't play a character that is smarter than him/her. Hell, I've done it.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 31 2004, 07:04 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,354

I've taken a cue from John Campbell (I think that's who mentioned it once): I assume all characters have the Common Sense edge as it relates to their character. If someone is playing a character with a high Intelligence (or any other trait) who likely would have considered something the player didn't even if it has no bearing on the run whatsoever, I'll mention it to them. The player can then choose to take that advise and run with it, or ignore it and do what he wants to do.

I can understand why some people have a problem with rules relating to social encounters, but those same people often seem to forget that they're playing a game first and foremost. As long as a player is putting effort towards playing their character correctly, even to the point where they admit that they don't know how their character would handle a situation and would rather rely on the stats alone, that's their perogative and -- if anything -- they should be applauded for it.

It's the charming player playing a character with a Charisma of 1 and no social skills to speak of who should get smacked upside the head for trying to fast talk their way past a guard or romance a simsense starlet... not the other way around.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post May 31 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I make players RP out social situations even if they're clumsy with words or say the wrong things. Then I have them make the roll, modifiying by their RPing to a degree. If the player comes up with this great story when trying to bluff the guard, I'll give him/her a few extra dice or a few bonuses on the roll. If the player fumbles through the whole thing horribly, I might increase the target number, but only if they did something horribly wrong that they should have known better about (like having a neon-pink trihawk when trying to pass themselves off as a corporate wageslave).

As far as High-Int PCs having players that do stupid things, I try to be as subtle as possible to warn them. The best way is to tell them what they just asked to do taking out any context they've added in so they can see how stupid it is. "So you're going to draw your gun in the middle of the mall with security all around and point it in the face of the corporate officer, right?" "Umm, wait..."

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 31 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Hida Tsuzua @ May 30 2004, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

While it makes for good fun, does this mean that players with high strength characters have to lift the same amount their characters are holding? Do they have to catch balls thrown at random intervals to get good initiative totals? Do you take them out to the range so they can shoot that ork?

Generally to the physical ATTR and linked skills (which I thought I had taken efforts to specirfically NOT mention)... No.

However, I know people, and I know of people here on DS, who do sometimes require various demonstrations of actions (esp. melee).

If they can't RP it, then so be it. However, I'm used to dealing with people who can describe magical theory ideas, general ideas of combat and detail a great many things of which they have no RL experience. So, I have a high standard. I also do believe in being well-prepared, which I why I said that if they do something, they should generally know whether it's correct, and if I can find out, then so should they. They have the burden though, having specifically picked their PC's attributes and skills.

If they have a high Corp Ettiquette skill, for example, then I presume that they already know about certain things. I also think that Negotiations, for example is a really fun skill. I think someone with a 6 should know about general negotiation techniques, and should be expected to use them, and not say nonsense like, "I grab him by the shirt collar and threaten to pound him if he doesn't pay us another 20%."

But it's not like I am holding the player up to a skill standard of someone who has a Ettiquette skill level so high they taught at the Washington School of Protocol. That's unrealistic. However, they should know--generally--what they are talking about.

As for high intelligence, I see no reason for letting them off easy. Smart people do stupid things. Just because they have a higher ability to reason and analyse doesn't means they are always going to do the prudent thing, because perhaps they are INT 6 and CHAR 2, in which case they can do some mounmentally stupid things because the dissonance between reasoning and expression.

Besides, if they want "Common Sense" they need to buy it. As the Man says, "Common sense... isn't."

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post May 31 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

I see the difference between "Common Sense" the edge and helping someone roleplay a very different character from themselves as being delineated by the skill/attribute roll. If someone with a really high charisma says "I'm going to punch Mr. J." It's a combat roll and not a cha roll. "Common Sense" the edge would probably have the GM suggesting another course of action, but this isn't a case of someone struggling with how to use charisma so without the edge--punch away. But if they want to charm him into special favors, suggesting the use of sex appeal or golf banter as appropriate is a very good thing for a GM to do to help illustrate and act out the dice roll.

+Quote Post
Hunter
post May 31 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 699

QUOTE (A Rodent of Unusual Size)
It's the charming player playing a character with a Charisma of 1 and no social skills to speak of who should get smacked upside the head for trying to fast talk their way past a guard or romance a simsense starlet... not the other way around.

Which, I've noticed, doesn't happen very often.... :|

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 31 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I award extra karma for good roleplaying taking into consideration of the limits of the player. For example, someone who is a total social klutz is going to have a harder time roleplaying a high cha char well than someone who was the prom queen. The bar for the prom queen would be higher.

But roleplaying a high Willpower/Intelligence char is going to be more difficult, simply because of the mental limitations of th player.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post May 31 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I would let the Attribute and skill level be a major factor in determining how the NPCs react to a character. If a clutzy player has a character with a high Charisma and etiquette, then NPCs will tend to turn to the character and pay attention whenever he says anything, tend to be more friendly towards that character, etc. Smooth-talking players who run a character with low Charisma and little or nothing in the way of social skills will find that their real-life smoothness doesn't translate to the character. NPCs' eyes will glaze over with boredom, or they will grit their teeth with annoyance, whenever the character tries to be "smooth". I would let a skilled player roleplay his way out of a situation with a low-Charisma/social skills character, IF it was in-character. In other words, if your uncouth troll tells a dirty joke, it's one thing, but if he tries to bluff his way through a Japanese tea ceremony, it's another thing.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 1 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Roleplaying high willpower? Staring contest!!

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Jun 2 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Playing a character with high willpower isn't often so hard. It's easy to say your character will stay up for 10 hours a day programming that utility, or laugh it off when five trolls are brutally interrogating him, but somewhat harder to actually do.

Likewise it's easier to be single-minded and determined when you're sitting at table somewhere comfortable, rather than trudging through jungles in the pouring rain or whatever.

Being pretty dim in real life and coming up with good plans though, that's hard.

So I hear anyway..

+Quote Post
Madda_Gaska
post Jun 2 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 4,238

Just because your character is smart doesn't mean he's good at formulating plans.

Likewise, just because you're smart (of course, I don't know you- but let's not get offensive here, we'll stick to polite assumptions) doesn't mean you are a master at Chess (generally considered fairly high-brow).

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Jun 2 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #21

UMS O.G.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,335

I tend to take stats as a starting point and let the character RP it from there. Then they get a dice roll which to me represents how well they pulled it off on that occasion. A charisma of six gets you a high baseline thats hard to screw up, a charisma of 1 is almost impossible to recover from. Intelligence I handle from an almost purely RP standpoint. I ignore the character with the 1 Int as he talks about wave theory and how its relates to the problem at hand and enforce that no one else listens either. People with low intelligence (1 or 2) really shouldn't be planning anything or coming up with the bright idea more than once in a blue moon. Before you get on my case I'm talking game mechanics only, not real life. People with high intelligence get hints about the deeper meaning of what they see or when something just doesn't jive.

Willpower I rarely use outside the game mechanic. Sorry, to each there own on that score.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Jun 2 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Well no, but a high SR intelligence would certainly help for formulating plans. Chess would be (and is, in fact, for some NPCS I've seen) a knowledge skill. I suppose you get things like Small Unit Tactics, or various planning and tactical knowledge skills, but failing that Int a reasonable indicator.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Jun 2 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Yeah often I think the only time a lot of characters (including mine) use their willpower is for resisting manabolts and calculating combat pool..

As long as GMs enforce it in a general way it's fine. A willpower 1 guy isn't going too likely to have the patience or perseverence to hang around for several days staking out some site or other, or to spend two weeks pushing himself through eight hour training sessions every day without an instructor.

But then, having a willpower of 1 is bad enough even for pure game mechanics so I guess he could do with a break..

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 2 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (Da9iel)
I see the difference between "Common Sense" the edge and helping someone roleplay a very different character from themselves as being delineated by the skill/attribute roll. If someone with a really high charisma says "I'm going to punch Mr. J." It's a combat roll and not a cha roll. "Common Sense" the edge would probably have the GM suggesting another course of action, but this isn't a case of someone struggling with how to use charisma so without the edge--punch away. But if they want to charm him into special favors, suggesting the use of sex appeal or golf banter as appropriate is a very good thing for a GM to do to help illustrate and act out the dice roll.

The Player has a responsibility and an expectation to know better. If they don't. what is the point of trying to role-play a situation? if they can't role-play a PC under such blatant conditions, what does that mean for the rest of their abilities as a role-players?

IOW, I don't play SR with idiots.

+Quote Post
Dice
post Jun 2 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (A Rodent of Unusual Size)

So then you just say "Ok, you are saying all the right things, I'll knock one of the target number... now roll your dice and we'll see if they believe it" It might be that they come across as smarmy and insincere, or their appearance/smell/squeaky voice/odious habits have put the NPC off them so much that they are just ignoring the words. Or if they make the roll then the NPC has looked past their low charisma and been swayed by the words.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.