Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mass confusion on AoE spells, pun intended
cutter07
post May 31 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,239

On spells that are area effect, whether elemental or illusion, etc, how do they work? I can't seem to find in the main book where this is defined.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 31 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

You're looking for pg. 181, second column, second full paragraph. Continue reading for more info on EMs and how they differ from all other spells with regards to LOS limitations and the like.

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post May 25 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,706

I use my Rez to bring this thread back to life.
It's alive!!! ALIVE!!!

OK, so I've read the AoE rules on pg. 181 of SR3, and I have a question of my own?

Tim the Sorcerer ("TIM") casts Mass Confusion ("SPELL") on the CovertOps squad leader ("SQUAD LEADER") who is on the other side of an open doorway. The other CovertOps members (collectively "TEAM") are on either side of the SQUAD LEADER and outside of TIM's Line of Sight ("LOS").

So the question is, does TIM have to have LOS with the TEAM in order for the TEAM to be affected by the SPELL?

The way I'm interpreting Area of Effect ("AOE") is that the AOE radiates out from the chosen target, in this case the SQUAD LEADER. Is this right?

In addition, I am also of the mindset that the AOE would only work as soon as the TEAM enters TIM's LOS. Is this also correct?

Anywho let me know...

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 25 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
The way I'm interpreting Area of Effect ("AOE") is that the AOE radiates out from the chosen target, in this case the SQUAD LEADER. Is this right?

In addition, I am also of the mindset that the AOE would only work as soon as the TEAM enters TIM's LOS. Is this also correct?

That's the way we play it: the spell radiates out from the target and hits everyone the caster can see during casting.

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post May 25 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 25 2006, 05:17 AM)
That's the way we play it: the spell radiates out from the target and hits everyone the caster can see during casting.

During casting?

So continuing from the previous example... Tim has cast Mass Confusion on the Squad Leader and is sustaining the spell. The Sqaud Leader becomes disoriented, loses his balance, and falls. Squad Member #2 steps into the doorway in order to cover his downed Squad Leader.

So what you're saying is, when Member #2 steps through the door he wouldn't be affected by the spell because he wasn't in Tim's LoS when he cast Mass Confusion? Even if Tim is sustaining the spell?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 25 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Why did you have to pick the hard one?

~J

+Quote Post
Muzzaro
post May 25 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,089

I'd say that sustaining the spell isn't the same as casting. If you're sustaining it, you're keeping the confusion on the people you can see. If someone new steps in, you can't really 'extend' it to them. You'd have to recast it, leaving the original targets free until you've completed the spell again...

That's my take anyway.

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post May 25 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Here's some more for ya

QUOTE (Shadowrun 3rd Edition 7001 @ p. 181)
Area spells can affect more than one target at a time. The base radius for all area spells is the caster's Magic Attribute in meters. Area affect all valid tagets within the radius of effect, friend and foe alike (including the caster).

We have determined that a Valid Target is any subject within LoS at the time of casting. Right? OK.

New scenario, and clarification... just to be sure.

Shadow, Tim, Brown and Shade are outside the door of a breakroom. Shadow kicks door in and Tim rushes in, casting Mass Confusion on goons in the room. Tim, the goons , and the rest of Tim's mates are inside the AoE of the spell. Tim and goons must make resistance test against the spell, but Tim's mates don't (they weren't in Tim's LoS or in the room for that matter). When they enter the room and possibly Tim's LoS they still won't be affected until Tim drops spell and recast with everyone in Tim's LoS.

Am I getting this right?

PS - Muzzaro, what you wrote makes perfect sense, I'll take it.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 25 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

There are two types of Illusion Spells. Directed and Indirect. Directed spells, be they area or single target, affect only targets within LOS at the time of casting. Indirect Illusions create a "sensory generator" on a subject, which then affects all targets that "interact" with the subject area, object or person (or some combination there of).

Mass Confusion is a Directed area spell, thus it only affects targets within LOS and the Area of Effect at the time of casting.

So what you're saying is, when Member #2 steps through the door he wouldn't be affected by the spell because he wasn't in Tim's LoS when he cast Mass Confusion? Even if Tim is sustaining the spell?

Correct, but even if they pull Squad Leader back behind the door, he is still disoriented.

Casting Silence in this manner would affect all the subjects in the area, however. Same with Shadow (illusion or manipulation versions).

[e]
Am I getting this right?

Yes.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 25 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (MitS p51)
If an area-effect illusion or manipulation spell is sustained, the affected area may be moved with a Complex Action, as long as it remains within line of sight. Characters who “drop out” of the affected area are no longer affected by the spell; characters who are “enveloped” by the area must make a Spell Resistance Test against the effects of the spell as appropriate.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 25 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Yeah, MitS makes a mess of the issue.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.