Reply to this topicStart new topic
> permits?, i know i am overlooking something
Fygg Nuuton
post Jun 1 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

if the legality code doesnt have a "P" in it is there no way to get a permit?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 1 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Correct. If there is no P, no permit exists in Seattle.

~J

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jun 1 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Which means that if you pack a knife you are a bad man.

(Well, at least the legality code isn't that bad.)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 1 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Well that was quick

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jun 1 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

so personal security cannot carry an SMG?

+Quote Post
Tal
post Jun 1 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

It's a personal permit for civilians to carry firearms, probably for their own safety.

Corp guards have extra-territoriality, so they're exempt.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jun 1 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

i was talking about private security agencies :)

corps casn outfit guaards with whatever they like

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 1 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

The P is for civilians to obtain permits. Corporations have the right to military assembly, meaning they can acquire permits for quote security purposes and megacorps can acquire permits for military hardware.

The three levels of availability are Civilian, Security, and Military. GM discretion on most items, though some vehicles and others specifically mention Security or Military grade.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 1 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #9

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Private security agencies are tricky, because a lot of the time the place they patrol is not extraterritorial so that doesnt help them at all. Private security companies still need permits for everything to patrol in the plex.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jun 1 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Security permit != Civilian permit. You're not getting a security permit unless you're a licensed corporation (want to roleplay filling out 150 pages worth of applications?)

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 1 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

If the GM will make the paperwork for me, sure :)

~J

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jun 1 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Sorry, I left out a 0...that should be 1500 page. And I'd just print out every spam email I get for a home moriage and make you fill that out if you tried it in my game.

In quadruplicate.

And I get a LOOOOOOT of spam.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Tal
post Jun 2 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

Well, let's see. The two major private security companies in North America are Lone Star and Knight Errant, yah? From what I can remember, they've both got some pretty hefty contracts running, so they'd both qualify for megacorp staus, right? Wammo, instant right to bear arms.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 2 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #14

Lone Star is a Mega, AA. Knight Errant alone is just an A if I remember, Not technically a mega and not extraterritorial. Which doesn't matter, extraterritoriality doesn't help you if your not on corp owned propery, because if you're not your subject to all the law and restrictions of where you are, like the seattle metroplex for instance.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jun 2 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Well, Knight Errant might not be a mega corp in it's own right, but it is a direct subsidiary of Ares and I believe that carries with it the Ares extraterritorality and such.

If someone with more intimate knowledge of how that works in sr, as far as subsidiaries having the extraterritorality of thier parent corp and such, feel free to expand on it. I'm really only referring to the subsidiaries the parent corp, like Ares, makes no bones about, like Knight Errant.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 2 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I imagine they would, but that means nothing unless they're operating on KE territory, which, by definition, is not what they do, for the most part.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 2 2004, 02:22 AM
Post #17

What arethusa said was pretty much my point, extraterritoriality is irrelevant for a secrity provider because 99% of the time they're on the property of the person paying them, not in their HQ.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jun 2 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Ahh, yeah, that does makes sense. If Lonestar or Knight Errant are working for a single A corp or something they probably have to pretty much stick to the governments rules. Although, I imagine certain provisions exist to give them licenses or permits for weapons/vehicles/gear that aren't marked as 'P'.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 2 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #19

That makes some sense, but it's not necessarily true.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jun 2 2004, 03:10 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

No, not entirely. It would depend on a lot of factors, including the local government, the corp being protected by the security, how much they're willing to pay, etc...

In my games though, Lone Star and Knight Errant really only get hired by the big corps that don't have security assets of their own. I see them being too focused on the larger customer to be competitive for smaller corps and cities.

Hard Corps and other smaller security firms are the ones I usually use on the lower rungs, and of course, them being smaller themselves, means they have to abide by more outside rules and regulations, etc.

Although, mixing it up is the fun part.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 11 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Lone Star is a Mega, AA. Knight Errant alone is just an A if I remember, Not technically a mega and not extraterritorial. Which doesn't matter, extraterritoriality doesn't help you if your not on corp owned propery, because if you're not your subject to all the law and restrictions of where you are, like the seattle metroplex for instance.

Knight Errant is a AA megacorp.

+Quote Post
MrSandman666
post Jun 11 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,270

Also keep in mind that they are usually contracted by whoever owns the land they are working on. If they get contracted by some extrateritorial corp and this corp specifically allows them to carry X weapon even though they don't have a permit for it (for example on Metroplex ground) then they're perfectly fine. All they have to do is ask whoever makes the laws for the land - Which can of course be a far from trivial task in some cases - like working for a small corp on metroplex ground. But then again those companies can get security licences since they are licensed and recognized security corporations in Seattle so that's taken care of.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 11 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (MrSandman666)
Also keep in mind that they are usually contracted by whoever owns the land they are working on. If they get contracted by some extrateritorial corp and this corp specifically allows them to carry X weapon even though they don't have a permit for it (for example on Metroplex ground) then they're perfectly fine. All they have to do is ask whoever makes the laws for the land - Which can of course be a far from trivial task in some cases - like working for a small corp on metroplex ground. But then again those companies can get security licences since they are licensed and recognized security corporations in Seattle so that's taken care of.

:eek: An extraterritorial corp asking some other sec corp to guard their property? Doesn't anyone else see what's wrong with that?

+Quote Post
tjn
post Jun 11 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

And extraterritorial corps are just tripping over themselves with security forces?

It's still a business, and if it would cost less money to outsource those particular jobs then to train their own, they're going to use the least expensive measure because it looks better to their boss.

Are the security forces going to know all the deep dark secrets of said facility?

Hell no, they're going to be as far away as possible and treated like mushrooms; kept in the dark and fed a lot of drek.

Anything vital to the umbrella corp is going to be protected by their own security (because it would cost more to loose what they have, then to train the security forces to protect it).

But that doesn't indicate that the majority of their security forces for non-vital areas will be taken care of by themselves. It will go to those who can do it cheaper. If that's means another corp under the same mega, hey, great. If not, well the corp manager isn't about to make his own profits take a dive to "keep it in the family" as it were.

Remember, it all boils down to the almighty nuyen. Just because they can field security forces, doesn't mean it's profitable to field security forces.

EDIT: Mind doesn't work well in the morning :P

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jun 11 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

This reminds me of that line in Corp Sec Handbook: KE or whoever will take any action against your enemies you care to order, as long as we pretend to know nothing about it if it goes bust.

Still, I'd bet on megas having their own wholely subsidies for just that occasion. Still, there is something to be said for outsourcing. And yes, KE is pretty international; they're one of the few foreign services in the ADL.

Don

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.