2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laws and Magic, What is illegal and not
post Jun 3 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,663

Okay first off more or less what magic detect spells can be used with-in the constition, to those that are protected by it.

Ohhh I'm behind the whole, you don't have a SIN you aren't protected.

I've always seen magic as being as illegal as any gun. Is there a place that actually goes over these things.

I also figure if it is against the law to use such things as mind probes spells. Or that they won't hold up in court. That an officer can get a warrant and find stuff that he can get his hands onto because the spell had in directed them to those things being around.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jun 3 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Anything Force 1 or 2 is legal, anything Greater requires a permit. Some people rule that Mindprobe is an Illegal spell, but to my knowledge this is a houserule.

As a note, Force 9 spells/foci/spirits have a negative legality code. Im not really sure what that means.

Oh yeah: Detection spells do not hold up in court - at least, not in the UCAS judicial system. I believe this is mentioned in one of the older sourcebooks, and might be in a 3rd edition one, though I'm not sure which (if any).

This post has been edited by Jason Farlander: Jun 3 2004, 02:57 AM

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 3 2004, 03:02 AM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

It' not a house rule, mindprobe is illegal because it violates the 5th amendment, self incrimination. Any evidence gathered as a result of a mindprobe is inadmissable.

+Quote Post
theartthief
post Jun 3 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,111

QUOTE (BitBasher)

It' not a house rule, mindprobe is illegal because it violates the 5th amendment, self incrimination. Any evidence gathered as a result of a mindprobe is inadmissable.

That is in the UCAS and CAS. In other, how should we say, less scrupulous countries [read Atzlan] mindprobe would be fine... as long as you are sacntioned to use it.:vegm:

- thearttheif

[edit]Hit the wrong button.[/edit]

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jun 3 2004, 03:22 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE (theartthief)
QUOTE (BitBasher)

That is in the UCAS and CAS. In other, how should we say, less scrupulous countries [read Atzlan] mindprobe would be fine... as long as you are sacntioned to use it.:vegm:

- thearttheif

[edit]Hit the wrong button.[/edit]

Not all states are evil. I believe the Souix court system has 3 judges on the bench during the trial. At least one, if not all are magic users. And the whole time you are on the stand a compel truth and or a mind probe is being used on you to get the truth. The indians have a different take on the legal system then the white man.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jun 3 2004, 03:25 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Enforcement varies by spell type, too. If a LS mage notices detection or health magic floating around, he's less likely to pounce than if it's combat or the like.

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Jun 3 2004, 03:29 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,239

As a note, Force 9 spells/foci/spirits have a negative legality code. Im not really sure what that means.

LOL, that has sort of a double meaning as most LEO aren't going to chase mages using force 9 spells in the first place.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Jun 3 2004, 04:37 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

What do you think all those Banshees underground at the Seattle HQ are for? :D

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Catalog spell's results would be legal. Admissible? Depends on how good your lawyer is.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jun 3 2004, 04:44 AM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (BitBasher)

Inadmissibility in court is not the same thing as illegality. There is no canon reference that states mindprobe is illegal at force 1 or 2, nor is there a canon reference to any inability to acquire a permit to learn that spell at force 3 or higher. While, as is the case with all detection spells, the results of a mindprobe spell are inadmissible in court (As a note though: The Fifth Amendment can be waived, in which case such evidence would be admissible... but who's to say the mage who cast the mindprobe/analyze truth/whatever isnt lying? An infinite chain or mages affirming the truth of all mages to testify beforehand? The main problem with these spells is the lack of objective verifiability by mundanes.) There is nothing to say that simply knowing the spell is illegal.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 3 2004, 04:48 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

To toss in one detail that may not quite be relevant and has not been mentioned, ritual materials for any combat spell are illegal. Even though a force 2 "slay cop" spell is somehow fully legal, it seems that there is no way you can argue self defense when you had to spend hours preparing the attack.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 3 2004, 05:15 AM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I may be wrong, but I believe that Slay Cop isn't a legal spell rules-wise unless cops have recently become a different kind of critter entirely.

Edit: plus that would open all sorts of restricted-target messes, like "Slaughter Cop" being used to weed out undercover cops in a group of runners, or "Slaughter Guy Who Sold Us Out" for weeding out the more traditional turncoats.

~J

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Jun 3 2004, 07:17 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

I may be wrong, but I believe that Slay Cop isn't a legal spell rules-wise unless cops have recently become a different kind of critter entirely.

Theres always slay pig... ;)

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Jun 3 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 2,904

Allright, let's see if I can shed some light on this topic with conjecture and opinion...

force 3+ spells and spirits are officially illegal in the UCAS. On corp property who knows? Heck, if Lofwyr (the corporate owner and CEO...his being a dragon for the purposes of this arguement is irrelevant) decides to he can change the laws of Saeder-Krupp minute by minute and have wildly inconsistant applications of the laws of the moment. In other countries who knows.

Any spell used to break a law may or may not be legal, but the law is still broken. For instance, use a force 2 magic fingers spell to steal something and you have broken the law regarding theft, but not regarding magic. Net result: 1 charge of theft. Use a force 3 magic fingers spell to steal something and you have broken 3 laws. Net result: 1 charge of theft, one charge of illegal use of magic, one charge of illegal magical knowledge without a permit.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 3 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Inadmissibility in court is not the same thing as illegality. There is no canon reference that states mindprobe is illegal at force 1 or 2, nor is there a canon reference to any inability to acquire a permit to learn that spell at force 3 or higher.
Yes, you're absolutely right on that I misstated. You said what I intended to, and failed! :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jun 4 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #15

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

Here's a scenario for you:

You cast a force 3 or higher spell in a public place, no one sees you do it on the astral. Can any follow up investigation determine the force of the spell cast? Or what type of spell? Or even the exact spell?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 4 2004, 07:44 AM
Post #16

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Yes, yes, and yes, because spells leave an Astral Signature for a duration afterwards. Not too long mind you, but the stronger the spell the longer the impression lingers. The metamagic Cleansing can erase such signatures, imprints, and temporary background counts.

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jun 4 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #17

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

How long after the spell is cast does it leave an impression for? Is it force in hours? I need to know in case I need to delay a forensic mage etc

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Jun 4 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

Anothe note : all illegal actions performed using magic are treated as "with premeditation".

I didn't see mentioned yet in the topic, so: most legal information about magic is found in MITS.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jun 4 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Zephania)
How long after the spell is cast does it leave an impression for? Is it force in hours? I need to know in case I need to delay a forensic mage etc

Yes, it is indeed force in hours. Note that you can erase astral signiatures without access to cleansing metamagic, though doing so takes time. See SR3, page 172 for details.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 4 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #20

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Minor hair-splitting question:
I don't have my books with me, can someone give me a quote? I believe the quote is something to the effect of "...anything with an availability higher than 3 is illegal..." (emphasis mine)

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jun 4 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #21

Running Target

The quote is "All spells, foci and spirits of Force 3 or higher are considered illegal"

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 4 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #22

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Y'know, you're sitting there, you've got the book on your lap, you're copying out of it, would it be too much trouble to give a page number?
That's how referencing works.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 4 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

How do you differentiate between a Force 3 bound spirit and a Force 3 free spirit? If a Force 3 spirit is illegal then wouldn't Buttercup be illegal?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 4 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

You try telling her that.

~J

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 4 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

She'll make you double-post. Nasty stuff, that.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.