Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Assault Rifle B/R, For the bored or dedicated
Siege
post Jun 3 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,916

This kid built, from scratch, an AR-15 assault rifle. For his Senior Science Project.

-Siege
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcb
post Jun 3 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,083

Not really from scratch, more like from parts he selected. No where in the story does it mention that he machined any of the parts.

Still certainly an achivement for anyone let alone a senior project. The number of parts by various manufacture for the AR-15 design is staggering and selecting the best parts for the trigger group, upper and lower receiver , and barrel is a large endevore. If he did mount the barrel in the upper receiver then I am truely impressed mounting a barrel requires a larger degree if percision so the the bolt locks up correctly with proper head spacing.

Interesting story.
mcb

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jun 3 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

In the picture, is he using an asp baton as a pointer? The kid's got style written all over him.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jun 4 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #4

Mostly Harmless

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 176

I can't see the story, unfortunately. (The story cannot be found.)

QUOTE (mcb)
If he did mount the barrel in the upper receiver then I am truely impressed mounting a barrel requires a larger degree if percision so the the bolt locks up correctly with proper head spacing.

I doubt he did all of that. With the proliferation of AR-15 kits these days, you can put an AR-15 together pretty easily with regular tools and about a half hour of time with a pre-assembled upper. I've built three to date. But if he did install the barrel himself, the only specialized equipment he'd need is an AR15 armorer's tool (@ $30), a set of go/nogo headspace gauges (@ $60), and if he really wanted to do it right, a torque wrench (@ $30). Takes a bit more time, but it's not that tough if you're mechanically inclined.

+Quote Post
Number 6
post Jun 4 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,316

Don't you need permits to buy certain bits?

I, also, cannot find the story. Wonder why they took it down :eek:

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jun 4 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #6

Mostly Harmless

Not in the US (unless you live in California, in which case AR15s are banned). You do have to order the lower receiver (the part with the serial number on it) through a federally licensed firearm dealer, and he'll run a NICS background check on you when you pick the part up. All other parts can be bought over the counter.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 4 2004, 01:55 AM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

The trigger assembly if it's more than SA, otherwise it's legal to own AFAIK. all the parts should therefore be legal.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jun 4 2004, 01:59 AM
Post #8

Mostly Harmless

You can't purchase AR15 full-auto trigger groups or the lower receivers that can house them unless you have a BATF Tax Stamp (in which case said parts must have been manufactured before 1986) or an FFL (military/law enforcement sales only if manufactured after 1986). Standard AR15 lowers cannot accept full-auto trigger groups without significant (and very illegal) modification.

+Quote Post
Entropy Kid
post Jun 4 2004, 02:55 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,196

What kind of house rules do people have for gunsmithing? (I did search first)
The way it works by canon a character would need to either sink a lot of points into B/R skills, only work with one (maybe 2) type of firearm, or get skillwires. I don't think anyone building-by-wire can be considered a real gunsmith (or any sort of real artisan).

How many different B/R skills is reasonable? I'm almost tempted to have just one active skill (biotech style), but would prefer a more accurate representation if there is one.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jun 4 2004, 03:14 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (Entropy Kid)
What kind of house rules do people have for gunsmithing? (I did search first)
The way it works by canon a character would need to either sink a lot of points into B/R skills, only work with one (maybe 2) type of firearm, or get skillwires. I don't think anyone building-by-wire can be considered a real gunsmith (or any sort of real artisan).

How many different B/R skills is reasonable? I'm almost tempted to have just one active skill (biotech style), but would prefer a more accurate representation if there is one.

We have Small Arms B/R, which covers holdouts to LMG's. I'm a fan of broad skills.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Jun 4 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

What would be a reasonable complimentary skill for weapons B/R tests?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 4 2004, 06:34 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
We have Small Arms B/R, which covers holdouts to LMG's. I'm a fan of broad skills.

Likewise, except it covers everything up to and including MMGs. Might as well be HMGs, but those were always alien enough for me to draw the line there.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Jun 4 2004, 06:35 AM

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 4 2004, 06:41 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

That's nothing. One kid actually got together some commercially available radioactive elements and started a nuclear reaction in his garage, synthesizing uranium through neutron bombardment. The department of energy had to quarantine the whole place and send in people in hazmat suits to clean it up. The kid is in the navy now.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Jun 4 2004, 07:02 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Pshaw, that's all nothing. I can kill birds just by thinking about it. Yeah, I do it all the time.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jun 4 2004, 07:24 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

I believe that the complimentary skill to any B/R skill is the active skill, so the complimentary to Pistols B/R is Pistols. However, I think Knowledge: Gunsmithing might also work.

JaronK

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Jun 4 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

That's nothing. One kid actually got together some commercially available radioactive elements and started a nuclear reaction in his garage, synthesizing uranium through neutron bombardment. The department of energy had to quarantine the whole place and send in people in hazmat suits to clean it up. The kid is in the navy now.

Are you serious? I'm not very well versed in nuclear physics but that seems pretty damn impressive to me. You wouldnt happen to have a link would you? I would love to see that. Makes you wonder what the hell his parents were doing.

+Quote Post
Drunk Lu
post Jun 4 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,376

QUOTE (KillaJ)

Are you serious? I'm not very well versed in nuclear physics but that seems pretty damn impressive to me. You wouldnt happen to have a link would you? I would love to see that. Makes you wonder what the hell his parents were doing.

In all honesty (and, given the current political climate, unfortunately), it's not that difficult to create a fission reaction, albeit a small one, with readily available materials. I'm not talking citybusters or anything (for that, you need weapons-grade plutonium, uranium, or deuterium - tough stuff to come across), but a fission reaction all the same. I suppose it's only a matter of time before someone raids deuterium off a shipment to Yucca Mountain or some such.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 4 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #18

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Deuterium, really? I thought that was used in fusion, not fission.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jun 4 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Unfortunately, it's a news website and I've found the local pages tend not to archive their stories for easy reference.

Sorry all.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Jun 4 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

This story cannot be found.

:eek: ;)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 4 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #21

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Sure there is.:
http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

+Quote Post
Drunk Lu
post Jun 4 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 6,376

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Deuterium, really? I thought that was used in fusion, not fission.

I checked on it, and you are absolutely correct, sir. Uranium and plutonium are used in fission, deuterium and tritium are used in fusion.

I will now wander off in search of my dunce cap.

+Quote Post
theartthief
post Jun 4 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,111

Maybe all the fiction that I read has some merit to it. People actually can pull stuff off without the authorities noticing. I guess the bad guy in the old abandoned whatever really could build that droid, mutant dog, robot, super rodent etc...

:spin:

- theartthief

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Jun 4 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

Wow. That was the most interesting thing I have read in a long time, thanks for the link. I especially like how they explain his method step by step, apparently so anyone can follow in his footsteps. :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.