Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hypnotic Song quick question
otaku mike
post Jun 5 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 332

The Hypnotic Song power is described as an (Essence)M attack that takes effect is the "damage" reaches Deadly. My problem is that I don't know what dice the critter use to use the power. Does it roll dice equal to its Essence or another stat? Is there any dice pool that can be used?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Madda_Gaska
post Jun 5 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 4,238

Reading the description and contrasting it to other power descriptions in Critters, it would appear that it simply does (Essence)M damage (resisted by willpower)- with no rolls taken by the critter.
In other power descriptions, you are told what the critter should roll to use the power, but in this one it simply gives you the power+damage code, so I'd just go with that personally.

Of course, you could give in to the 'house rule' syndrome and decide that it actually uses charisma, with a complementary knowledge skill: Cookery for the young troll about the house.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 5 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I agree, usually it's essence for those powers that are not directly related to the muscle power of the critter.

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Jun 6 2004, 02:33 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

The problem is, if the critter rolls no die, how can the damage be staged up to Deadly or more, if it starts at Moderate and only the target can roll dice to resist (and likely stage it down to nothing). And as it's written that the power paralyze the victim only if there is "Deadly" damages, that would mean that even with no success at the resistance test, the victim is not affected.
Using Charisma doesn't do the trick as most critters have a low Charisma.
Essence would be better.

Anyway, as it is described, this power is utterly useless.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Jun 6 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Actually I believe all critters that aren't sentient (like Centaurs and Blackberry Cats) have no Charisma at all.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Jun 6 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

You could track "virtual damage" inflicted by the song, paralyzing the player when it reaches Deadly, but that's probably too much effort.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Jun 6 2004, 03:37 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

It doesnt have to do deadly in one go to paralyze someone.

Its a hypnotic song, like the ones sirens sing in the greek myth to the sailors... you know the oddessy?

Longer youre exposed the more it gets to you, until you hit unconcious. The rules given work fine to simulate that. The critter doesnt have to roll anything, just hit the players with it each turn and let the damage stack up. Characters immune due to high will would be a lot like Odessyus, able to shake it off.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 6 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Characters immune due to high will would be a lot like Odessyus, able to shake it off.

I don't see many shadowrunners ordering their companions to tie them to the mast...

I still don't understand why he insisted on hearing it when ordering the redshirts to go deaf for a while.

+Quote Post
Person 404
post Jun 6 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,696

Curiousity.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jun 6 2004, 04:18 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

Killed the Cat Shaman. ;) :D

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Jun 6 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

It doesnt have to do deadly in one go to paralyze someone.

Wrong. It's written only when it reaches deadly it becomes paralyzing.
But I would agree that the damage may give the same effect as any others, and provoke the TN and Init penalties.

Its a hypnotic song, like the ones sirens sing in the greek myth to the sailors... you know the oddessy?

Well, thank you, I'm familiar with that...

Longer youre exposed the more it gets to you, until you hit unconcious.  The rules given work fine to simulate that.  The critter doesnt have to roll anything, just hit the players with it each turn and let the damage stack up.  Characters immune due to high will would be a lot like Odessyus, able to shake it off.

The problem I have with that is that you have to keep separate track of the Hypnotic Song damage from the real Stun damage.
Secondly, if not incapacited since the first HS attack, I doubt the critter would have a chance to try again, as everyone will start shooting at it. With luck, it would need at least 4 attacks to paralyze its victim and eventually physically attack. But as soon as the song stops, the effect stops too.
And personally, as a GM, I would not allow a critter to use HS at the same time as a physical attack.
As it stands, it still looks as a pretty useless power, that can be effective in few situation (all targets with low Willpower, at least 4 actions before they can reach the singer in any way, and no ear-plugs...)

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Jun 6 2004, 09:43 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
I still don't understand why he insisted on hearing it when ordering the redshirts to go deaf for a while.

I believe it was so he could tell when the ship was past them, and thus out of immediate danger.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.