Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What I learned tonight
Abstruse
post Jun 9 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,488

Tonight was the first time since I feel I've gotten a good handle on the Shadowrun rules that I've GM'd a game. I learned a few very important things from this adventure I'd like to share with those newbies seeking advice and for the old hats to laugh at me about. For the record, I ran them through Food Fight, then through a little search and capture mission for the mob.

1) Most gunfights are over in 6 seconds or less.
2) Heavy pistol rounds may bounce off a troll tank, but a shotgun slug will cut him in half.
3) Static in Food Fight is a sitting duck.
4) When someone draws a gun, the PCs immediately want to roll inititive regardless of any sort of plot or planning.
5) Troll tank + mace from 2nd Ed that does (Str + 4)S + Clubs: 6 + Titanium Bone Lacing + Unarmed Combat: 6 = three skulls caved in, one KO'd gang chica, and one Coyote shaman shoved through a plexiglass door with several broken ribs.
6) It doesn't matter how much you twink out the Yakuza hitman with Betaware, he's going to die if the PCs use basic strategy, get surprise on him, and hit him with the afformentioned mace.
7) Going first in combat = staying alive.
8) Getting surprise in combat = killing everyone before they can draw their weapons.
9) Letting the face/Cat shaman get Bonus Attribute (Wil) = Shaman taking very little drain
10) The players really don't care what color the bottles they shoot when they miss are, they just want to know they did damage and broke things.
11) A Deadly powerball = lots of broke things.

The Abstruse One
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jun 9 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Was the troll tank in armor? Because a real "tank" of a troll usually survives those ;)

Everyone in Food Fight is a sitting duck... it's half the fun. The other half being the exploding food packets.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jun 9 2004, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Running Target

The guy behind the counter got lucky and the troll got very unlucky. 15 dice and only 2 sucesses against a TN of 5. Any food only exploded twice. Everyone kept hitting their mark. It also brought up a good question for me. Influence lets you plant a suggestion. Can that suggestion be something like "Hand your gun to me"? I allowed it just because otherwise the Body 1 Cat Shaman/Face would've ended up with his brains all over the Chocolate Yum-Yum Bars, but I'm going into the serious adventures next game (Mercurial, then Harlequin, then Missing Blood) and I was curious.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jun 9 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (Abstruse)
The guy behind the counter got lucky and the troll got very unlucky. 15 dice and only 2 sucesses against a TN of 5. Any food only exploded twice. Everyone kept hitting their mark. It also brought up a good question for me. Influence lets you plant a suggestion. Can that suggestion be something like "Hand your gun to me"? I allowed it just because otherwise the Body 1 Cat Shaman/Face would've ended up with his brains all over the Chocolate Yum-Yum Bars, but I'm going into the serious adventures next game (Mercurial, then Harlequin, then Missing Blood) and I was curious.

The Abstruse One

Yes, the suggestion can be anything at all. Whether or not the subject goes through with the impulse is up to the GM, though.
Play it this way: I'm the character. I get a random passing thought to hand my gun to the cat shaman, along with a rash, impulsive urge to do it. I'm a tough gangster though, and nothing matters more than my pride. Plus, it's stupid to just hand her the gun. The character might wait a few turns before blowing her away as he makes up his mind, but I'd say no dice on handing over the weapon.
A more effective influence would be something like (especially for these somewhat bloodthirsty gangers), "I wonder if there's someone behind me to shoot ...."

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Jun 9 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Unless they're hard-core trained in the classic combat tactic of "Geek the mage first!"

But hey, Food Fight was meant to be a basic encounter. More of a fist-fight than a gun fight. Having the runners turn up adorned in combat armour and packing milspec heat ain't going to be a challenge for them. Plus why'd they just nip out for munchies or to answer the call of nature like that. (Actually, having them ambushed when doing the latter is a great way to literally catch them with their pants down). Hmm, then again you could always even the odds by having a Lone Star SWAT team popping in for a chokky bar and tripple-thick slupple-soy slushie en route back to the station after a heavy threat response call out...

PS> Hope you have fun with those scenarios Abtruse, they're some of the best written.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jun 9 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
Unless they're hard-core trained in the classic combat tactic of "Geek the mage first!"

Damn straight. There's a reason it's a classic.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jun 9 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Trick is to never look like a mage. no matter the game.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 9 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Indeed. If you're going to dress in robes and symbols or wear antlers around, you'd better be a multiple initiate with many quickened spells on you.

~J

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Jun 9 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

How true. On the other hand, the difference between the Mage the Adapt and the Sam is sometimes the weaponry. My personal rule of thumb.
If you're in a tense situation and one of your opponents is not pointing or holding a weapon, They should be your first target.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jun 9 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

Following that with if they are holding a shotgun

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 9 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

The question is, how would the gangers be able to identify that this person is an aggressor rather than a random bystander? Unless they have reason to suspect magery, it makes more sense to go after the armed people.

~J

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jun 9 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #12

Chicago Survivor

Well, shaman are easy to spot during magic, hermetics a good bit different and the ones to really watch for are the psychics. they don't chant, they don't use crystals (usually) and they just sorta stand there while wierd shit happens around you.

+Quote Post
Wraithkin
post Jun 9 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,391

You also want to watch out for those super-fast ninja dudes with spurs. They get into melee with you, and watch out. Pistols and shotguns aren't really all that effective when someone's up in your face stabbing you in the eye.

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Jun 9 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

As I said. If in a throwdown situation you see someone with no weapon evident it means;
A: They are a magician of some sort.
B: They have mad HtH Skillz.
C: They are so confident in their ability to out Quick-Draw you that if you don't kill them they will get four actions this turn and nobody wants that ;)
The best camoflagued mage I ever saw was initated four times with masking, carried a Ruger Super Warhawk and had an obvious Datajack.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 9 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

D: They weren't prepared for a fight, didn't want a fight, and had nothing to do with the fight. On most runs, a business suit and frightened expression usually indicates this one.

~J

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Jun 10 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,239

Was the troll tank in armor? Because a real "tank" of a troll usually survives those

Thats what I was thinking. Mine has survived a burst SPAS-22 with buckshot to the face.

Good way to tick a troll off is have a smaller person they're after run through a tight space to an exit. Something like a narrow hall they have to go slow through.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 10 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

You shouldn't have, assuming it was close range.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 10 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Or any other range, thanks to the choke rules.

~J

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jun 10 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #19

Running Target

The Cat Shaman/Face is just some really nice-looking Elf in a nicely-tailored suit flirting with the elf behind the counter with no initiative boosts. Therefore, he went off last. When gangers started getting dropped, the first people they went after were the ones with the guns and the big huge troll who just broke Zany's nose and knocked her clean out with one punch. They weren't worried about the guy standing right in front of him with his jaw wide open...until his cufflink started glowing blue and the gang leader got an overwhelming desire to hand over his gun.

BTW, buy all combat spells at Force 6. Anything less and you won't be geeking the mage with 7 Wil.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Dax
post Jun 10 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

I remember Food Fight! Never had so much fun watching a buncha PC's wreck un-believable havock in a mini mart!

Course, when the Combat Decker splashed a full cup of scalding hot Soykafe into the face of the Gang Leader, I nearly bust a gut.

+Quote Post
kuroko
post Jun 10 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 3,936

QUOTE (sidartha)
The best camoflagued mage I ever saw was initated four times with masking, carried a Ruger Super Warhawk and had an obvious Datajack.

Take a look at the troll mage in the book. Note that he has an Uzi. Now add some obvious armor and some other signs of being a street sammy. Then add levels of intiation (masking).

What you get is some very surprised opposition who don't know which team member just called the stunbolt down.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 10 2004, 02:39 AM
Post #22

Runner

Really, there's not much reason for mage to not simply pack the same armor and weaponry as all the other team members.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 10 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

There's always the style inherent in having your Mage tote a LMG.

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 10 2004, 02:56 AM
Post #24

Runner

Bah. There is no style in treating an LMG as a glorified assault rifle.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jun 10 2004, 03:06 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Abstruse)
BTW, buy all combat spells at Force 6. Anything less and you won't be geeking the mage with 7 Wil.

This is why my usual strategy for dealing with other mages involves dumping all my dice into spell defense and just shooting their asses.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.