> Geas(a) Question, Inexperienced player needs some answers
Foreigner
post Jun 9 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,630

Quick question, Chummers:

As a relative newcomer to SHADOWRUN, I'm not too familiar with the concept of the geas (pl. geasa), used by the various types of magicians (i.e., Mages, Shamans, and others) as well as Adepts.

What I'd like to know is:

(A) Would it be possible to link a geas to a phrase used by the PC out of habit (for example, the comic-book Foreigner's trademark catchphrase, "That would be TELLING." [And YES, I KNOW it was appropriated from the opening-credit sequence of THE PRISONER]); and

(B) Could the SAME geas or trigger phrase be used for multiple Adept initiations, or what have you?

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.

--Foreigner
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post Jun 9 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,354

Yes, you can use a Chanting geas for adept powers, and yes, you can apply them to multiple powers for a 25% reduction in their Power Point cost. They don't have much to do with initaition, though.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jun 9 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Thanks, R.O.U.S. :)

Like I said, I'm not very experienced at this.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 9 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #4

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Yes, you can use a Chanting geas for adept powers, and yes, you can apply them to multiple powers for a 25% reduction in their Power Point cost. They don't have much to do with initaition, though.

Well, sorta.

A full mage can take a geas as an ordeal, accepting a geas for the reduced karma cost for initiation. This geas is permanent, so it can't be removed by later initiations. I'm not aware if Adepts can take this ordeal, but it could work-- all power points bought would have the geasa restriction, would be full price, and couldn't be altered later.

Geasa are usually tied to initiations, in that many mages try to get rid of them around that point. They can even accept a new one if they like, via the ordeal. So, they sorta do and sorta don't have much to do with initiations.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jun 9 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Whoops. Sorry, Cain.

I forgot to mention that my character (in Sahandrian's Play-by-AOL-Instant Messenger campaign over at the Pedro's Witnesses: Redux site) is a Magician's Way Adept.

I hope that clears things up.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 10 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Oh! Ok, that changes things.

As best I can tell, you're bound by both the adept and full mage rules. If you buy an adept power with a geas for reduced cost, you need to use the chant/incantation with every use of the power. Breaking the geas by not saying your phrase will mean you can't access the powers.

Because Magical Power is always lost first, and thus always geased first, you simply can't use if if your geasa are broken. If by some strange happenstance some of it is still availiable, then you're at a penalty to all magical tasks. You're kinda screwed coming and going, here.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jun 11 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

you could always take a singing geas for the song urgent 8)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.