Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probe Race Winner
Abstruse
post Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,488

I was looking through all my old adventure books since I finally have a group to play with now, working on an order to run the adventures is (I'm starting in 2051, so I figure by the end of the year I should have them caught up to the time line...) However, in reading the end of Wake of the Comet, I noticed FanPro had a little thing for people to fill out and tell how the adventure did in their group to determine who won the Probe Race. Was this ever announced, are they still waiting for ballots, or was the whole idea just scrapped?

The Abstruse One
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 10 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

I think the writers left it open-ended so people could decide in their own campaigns who won. However in Wake of the Comet I think it came down to a number of final contestants.....

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jun 10 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

A lot of the older FASA stuff used to have cards like that in them. They'd use them to help them decide where to go with the metaplot from there. They stopped doing though cause hardly anyone ever sent them in.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jun 10 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Backgammon)
A lot of the older FASA stuff used to have cards like that in them. They'd use them to help them decide where to go with the metaplot from there. They stopped doing though cause hardly anyone ever sent them in.

FanPro did this for Battletech recently. A widely held Aerotech-2 tournament ("Trial of Retribution) pitted Da Bears against the Nova Cats, and the outcome (phyrric victory for, IIRC, the Ghost Bears) was turned into canon based on feedback from players about what units they lost.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Jun 10 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

The Probe Race's canon result is still undecided.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 10 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Who won the probe race? The Shadowrunners, friends, the Shadowrunners.

~J

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 10 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

like Jong said, unresolved.

The bigest change those cardsmade was for Dunkelzahn to be elected president. go fig.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 10 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I'm betting on Ares with the second probe. Reading the adventures, the last has the highest probability of success simply because whichever side ends up with the <spoiler> it will become more about leverage than anything else. Aztechnology, if they get the <spoiler>, would let Ares win the race in exchange for some favor (We demand a Thor shot on these four sites in the Yucatan! Now, white boy!). And I don't see the runners wanting that kind of heat (much higher chance of them stealing the money in the chaos). The Yamatetsu mission has almost a 50/50 chance, but I'd give Ares 75 percent.

Anyone want to take bets?

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jun 10 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

I think there was vague talk at one point about doing something to allow for on-line voting but nothing ever happened with that. Besides being a technical nightmare trying to stop people mass-voting for their choice, probably just came to time constraints.

Edit: That reminds me, I'll have to consider sending that in some time. Although I'm not really sure if it's worth it now. :/

+Quote Post
Dax
post Jun 11 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

I had always assumed that no one suceeded in the Probe Race. That a combination of Shadowruns, natural mishaps, and the fact that the comet itself seemed to be so unpredicatable ment that every last Probe got taken down.

Course that may be my parinoia talking again....

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jun 11 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

We've always played it that Ares won the race. Although we never really did much with it beyond that, as far as what sort of stuff happened afterwards. We also had one of guys save the data from I believe what was left of the Yamatetsu module (it's been a long time, ran it shortly after it came out) or whatever data thing had that mysterious probe shown on it briefly to put up on Shadowland at some point.

Although the Wake of the Comet stuff was run with my group about the time we started falling apart and we haven't played a huge amount of Shadowrun in the intervening time, so none of the repercussions ever got explored.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jun 12 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

i might be getting myself confused, But wasn't there one mention (and only one mind) Of Saeder-Krupp also having a backup Probe???

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 13 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Most of the runs we did around the probes were based on getting stuff up or stopping other people. Bottom line we didn't care if Ares won or SK or McDonalds, as long as we were paid for the runs we did. Heck half the time we didn't know who we were running for and sometimes didn't know who were were against: "Steal that component from that ship and drop it in puget sound"
"make sure he misses his flight, but don't rough him up" (the flight crashed)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 5 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

Ares has officially won the Probe Race!

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 5 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #15

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Announcement in SoE, SOTA64 or MJLBB?

<-- Poor college kid, doesn't have any of the new nifty books.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 5 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #16

Beetle Eater

SotA64 where it mentions that Yamatetsu may have lost the Probe Race to Ares but it won the race to Mars! That's right, Yamatetsu landed the first manned mission to the Red Planet!

+Quote Post
Toa
post Nov 5 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,068

Yay Yamatetsu! \o/ (I love these guys...)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 5 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Everyone does. We're meant to. If they don't pull a Universal Brotherhood, I will be quite miffed.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 5 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Everyone does. We're meant to. If they don't pull a Universal Brotherhood, I will be quite miffed.

Well... I did just mention that they landed on the Red Planet, didn't I? When the lead cosmonaut returns as the only living member and rises to Buttercup's right hand man... Then I'll start to worry.

And yes, I said cosmonaut.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Nov 5 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #20

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Yeah, I saw that. It's certainly going to open a can of worms regarding Ares' Project Cydonia and the whole Missions/PoaD affair.

And yay cosmonauts. *Cossack dances out of the thread* :D

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 5 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

And since this is vaguely on topic; the Mount Kilimanjaro attack scares the crap out of me. I think it's cool that they are going ahead with the launcher in a multilateral way, but the idea that their "solution" was cheaper than building a mountain makes me shiver. Possibly related, I have to check the dates, but I think the situation with the Salish Tsimshian war just got more complex.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 01:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.