Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shapeshifter Adepts
WalkerUrza
post Jun 14 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,401

Hey, could someone explain to me why it was ruled that shifted shapeshifters can't use adept powers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Jun 14 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

I think the reason would be that their adept powers are linked to their human form.
Personally, I think something is wrong with this rule, partly because the magician shapeshifter can still summon spirits and cast spells in animal form. As a GM, I think I would houserule the following:
- when learning a power, an adept shapeshifter must state in which form it works.
- for each power, the adept shapeshifter can buy an "option" or "extra" that reflects that the shapeshifter trained himself to use this power also in the other form. Maybe the cost would be 25% of the original cost of the power.
- If the adept shapeshifter had taken a geas option on this power, the geas is now applicable on the use of the power in both forms. If the adept doesn't want to have a geas option in one of his forms, he has to fully re-learn/buy the power (full cost).
- The GM would have final say on which powers can believably (sp?) be learn in animal form. Also, maybe some (new?) powers could be used to accomplish things an animal form wouldn't be able normally (like speaking, or using tools).

+Quote Post
WalkerUrza
post Jun 14 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Target

But it's the same spirit as it were, it's all the same essence, what the book has done was say, Shapeshifters are all mages, because a shifter adept is impossable. Yes stun damage is the only thing a shifter "fears" but still... I mean things like quick draw as a say an tiger shapeshifter doesn't make sense...but improved ability brawling *specialized in claws or bites* would... With my group it's a house rule that all powers work in shifted form, but if the form can't physically use or do the power then... your SOL... but yeah...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 14 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I think the main thing that the writers were thinking was the Improved Reflexes 3 and the initiative boost that shifters get. Together with Regeneration, a high initiative is potentially very dangerous.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 14 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Yes stun damage is the only thing a shifter "fears" but still
Why? In 3rd edition regeneration heals stun too.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jun 14 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

I know Shapeshifters can cast spells in there Doggy form, that sif your making a Physical mage, since we are on the topic of adepts.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jun 14 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (BitBasher)

Er? News to me.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jun 14 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Check out the 3rd ed companion. It states they heal stun. The example is a magician recovering from drain.

Don

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jun 14 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (BitBasher)

Say it with me,

It ain't dead till you take the head.

-Siege

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 14 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

I believe the part you're refering to is how fast a shapeshifter can recover from physical damage caused by drain.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 14 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jun 14 2004, 03:45 PM)

Say it with me,

It ain't dead till you take the head.

-Siege

Amen to that.

In 3rd edition if you read the description of Regeneration it says it regenerates "damage". It no longer says "Physical Damage" like it did in 2nd edition. Stun Damage is damage, and Physical Damage is damage. It regenerates all damage.

Merry Christmas.

Whil you're making your PC's have nightmares about this, Vampires regenerate, and are no longer dual natured. They also now permanently add their essence to all their physical attributes. Their "Enhanced Physical attributes" poiwer doesn't have a uses per day or a duration, it's always on. Time to kick the living piss out of someone, Vampy style. They also show a much higher chance to be magically active. Regenrating vampire physads, Welcome to your nightmare.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jun 14 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

It's one of those rules I always ignore. Always. Because it's simply ludicrous. Shapeshifters are naturally animals. If adept powers were limited to any form, it should be their animal form, not the mockery they can transform into.

You just have to accept the fact that the designers apparently smoke a lot of crack or something... and things start to make more sense.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 14 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
It's one of those rules I always ignore. Always. Because it's simply ludicrous. Shapeshifters are naturally animals. If adept powers were limited to any form, it should be their animal form, not the mockery they can transform into.

You just have to accept the fact that the designers apparently smoke a lot of crack or something... and things start to make more sense.

I pretty much agree with you totally, [articularly like you said, animal IS their natural form.

+Quote Post
WalkerUrza
post Jun 14 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #14

Target

Yeah it's a rule that my group ignores too, but still... It's annoying as all hell when you go to a site that *doesn't* ignore that rule... I guess it's time to start doing a lot of convincing and badgering untill he gives in mabey? *snickers*

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jun 14 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I'd argue that a bimorph doesn't have a true form, per se.

Shapeshifting is what the creature does -- it may lack social skils and knowledge associated with humans, but the (skill? Spell? Ability?) is inherent and natural.

Of course, I may read Terry Pratchett too much...

-Siege

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Jun 14 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,909

In 3rd edition if you read the description of Regeneration it says it regenerates "damage". It no longer says "Physical Damage" like it did in 2nd edition. Stun Damage is damage, and Physical Damage is damage. It regenerates all damage.

That is a rule my group ignors completely. the ability to regenerate stun damage is way to munchy. Seriously that in itself combined with thier normal powers would make them horribly overpowered and nearly unbeatable.

Personally I would rule that they dont regenerate stun damage for game balance purposes.

I think the main thing that the writers were thinking was the Improved Reflexes 3 and the initiative boost that shifters get. Together with Regeneration, a high initiative is potentially very dangerous.

Since inproved reflexes isnt compatable with any other form of magic or cyberware that does the same thing I would rule that improved reflexes wouldnt work with the animal form it would have to work with human form only. If nothing else but for game balance.

House ruleing that all(or most adept powers work in animal form) and allowing shapeshifters to regenerate stun creates the most munchkin of all character types

So by some of the rules ive seen tus far you could create a starting character like this

Tiger SS physical mage earth elementalist
In animal form

Body 7(edge bonus attribute point body)
Quickness 6
Stregnth 6
Charisma 2
Intilligence 5
Willpower 6

Skills
sorcery 6
Brawling 5

Psyad powers are
4 points of magical power geases so it only works in animal form
Improved reflexes 2 with the talisma geas of an earring
counterstrike lvl 2 with talisma earring geas as well

so now we have a mage that can throw around force 4 elemental manip spells with a constant 13 dice and regenerate the stun damage at the end of every combat turn, has a pretty good body and with a decent armor spell sustained can take alot of damaghe down to L and can regenerate nearly any physical damage done to him (except having his head cut off) and on top of that he has 5 INI Die so he will go before most if not everyone else he is facing. Raises hands in air in frustration at the munchkinness of this. Heaven help the GM if this character gets even 30k and 20 or so karma. Surely I am not the only one that sees any type of problem with this?

Yes i do realize he will be facing alot of moifiers from drain and whatever physical damage he takes during that turn and large groupes of people and nukes will still kill him but that is true for any character, but he still has a HUGE and I mean HUGE advantage over a normal munchkin mage mage or munchkin street sam.

P.S. not sure if the totem modifiers for an earth elementalist would work with a pysical mage

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 14 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #17

The earring geas is a bit of an impossibility to pull off since you can't get a piercing. You regenerate.

Drain does not follow normal regeneration rules, stun or not, it comes back at a box per minute.

No, I don't see a problem with this. Shapeshifters, like ghouls and metavariants are Optional Rules. Decline the option if you think it's too mucnhy, because in most games it is. Regenerating creatures work best as NPC's or in specialty games where everyone is paranormal.

Worse is an NPC Vampire. A nice adept vamp can wear a LOT more armor than a PC can because his quickness will be in the 13-23 range if his essence is full, *not* counting adept powers, and his body and str can be in the 13-23 range as well. Add in his 4x running multiplier, and the fact that astrally you cannot see a single thing wrong with him unless you spend an action to percieve, unlike the shapeshifter that looks like an animal astrally. The vamp can get the same 5d6 initiative. And by canon, the vamp can have cyberware as long as it was implanted before he was infected. See DNA/DOA for reference, the character "Nemesis". The rules that allowed this have never been contradicted in later books. THAT's horrific.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Jun 15 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

A little off topic, but could anyone tell me where the rules are for a vampire npc?

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Jun 15 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

p46 of Critters, which you get when you buy the GM screen.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Jun 15 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

Much obliged.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jun 15 2004, 02:52 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Joker9125)

Since inproved reflexes isnt compatable with any other form of magic or cyberware that does the same thing I would rule that improved reflexes wouldnt work with the animal form it would have to work with human form only. If nothing else but for game balance.

Glyph likes to point out a more compelling reason that this is powerful: shifters use Reaction for attacks in their animal form. Giving them level 3 Increased Reflexes is giving them +6 melee dice.

+Quote Post
WalkerUrza
post Jun 15 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #22

Target

*BOOM* and the question is still not answered for me *pouts*

Oh well, Short of being able to talk to the people behind the rules, I can't actually get a straight answer... Speculation and house rules are all nice and all, but it'd be usefull to know the *real* reason behind how the rules are.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 15 2004, 04:01 AM
Post #23

We already stated there is no good reason. It's like asking if a tree falls in the forset with noone to hear it makes any noise. There's no right answer.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 15 2004, 05:55 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

It's like asking what the point is of giving 'shifters an Essense of 8, when their starting Magic rating is still 6, and they can't get cyberware. Not much point to it. It makes sense for their NPC counterparts, though (since they add it to their physical Attributes in animal form). But that gets into yet another of my old rants about shapeshifters - how I hate it when there is one set of stats for NPCs, and one for PCs.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jun 15 2004, 07:57 AM
Post #25

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (shadd4d)
Check out the 3rd ed companion. It states they heal stun. The example is a magician recovering from drain.

Don

*huh?* Must have missed that one ... Care to quote?

Whether or not stun is regenerated is always heavily discussed ... just as the question whether or not regeneration only kicks in upon reaching (physical) deadly *Text can be interpreted that way*

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.